The Politics Thread 2019

David

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I think you'll find that you will embrace 'progressive patriotism' if Rebecca Long Bailey gets the top job!

Isn't that just a sugar coated way of saying nationalism, so that lefties will swallow it?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/29/rebecca-long-bailey-labour-party-britain

I'd argue that identity politics is pushed heavily by the left, the right are more concerned about the individual. 

I would argue that individual human rights are more likely to be curtailed by the right than the left.

Every time there is a proposed rise in minimum wage the business people go up in arms and say it will cause unemployment, but every time

it actually increases employment. Proven in many countries.

Obviously if you set it rediculously high like £20/hour it would cause problems.

6 hours ago, Bwash_Ram said:

Every time there is a proposed rise in minimum wage the business people go up in arms and say it will cause unemployment, but every time

it actually increases employment. Proven in many countries.

Obviously if you set it rediculously high like £20/hour it would cause problems.

I'd be interested to know if that is a consistent proven fact.

I'm a bit torn on it. I work heavily in the amusement industry where it's hard to pass on any such costs, so it's completely dependent on increasing the public's disposable income.

I've heard it said alot that people need pay increases to get them out of poverty so they can buy essentials, surely that will mean this new disposable income is heading straight to the Tesco & co shareholders?

2 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Can someone remind me how many MP's on the government side of the house voted FOR the introduction of the minimum wage?

No idea, not really fussed what they did 22 years ago either.

How many of the Conservatives that actually opposed all them years ago are actually in government now?

11 hours ago, maxjam said:

If I had one wish for 2020 it would be to get rid of all this identity politics/political correctness crap and start treating people as individuals. 

An interesting quote from the article though

"Richard Leafe, chief executive of the Lake District National Park Authority, stated that the region should be made more accessible to the disabled and ethnic minorities"

So does your hatred of identity politics extend to disabled people too?

23 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

An interesting quote from the article though

"Richard Leafe, chief executive of the Lake District National Park Authority, stated that the region should be made more accessible to the disabled and ethnic minorities"

So does your hatred of identity politics extend to disabled people too?

If I said yes (just to you) would it help you sleep better at night knowing you were right about me all along?

Happy New Year!

36 minutes ago, maxjam said:

If I said yes (just to you) would it help you sleep better at night knowing you were right about me all along?

Happy New Year!

I think we should build a ramp starting in Nottingham so there is a 1 degree angle of slope to the tallest point in the Peak District. That should make it more accessible. 

3 minutes ago, Norman said:

I think we should build a ramp starting in Nottingham so there is a 1 degree angle of slope to the tallest point in the Peak District. That should make it more accessible. 

Do they need a ramp for 6 fingers?

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

No idea, not really fussed what they did 22 years ago either.

How many of the Conservatives that actually opposed all them years ago are actually in government now?

There would be no such thing as the minimum wage or the NHS if the Tories had always been in power.

Happy New Year.

Archived