The Politics Thread 2019

Day

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

If the the combine vote is for leave, we leave. A negotiated deal that as been agreed to between the EU and Parliament. Is then put to a second puplic vote along with the no deal option. Which ever one of those two options gets the most votes then that what the country goes with.

If the EU are reluctant to negotiate a reasonable deal, it could encourage more people to go with the no deal option. If the majority do vote for a no deal brexit, even a after finding out the true extent of the damage it will do to the country. Then so be it, I'd accept the result.

You might. Parliament wouldn't.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

who maybe now have a clearer view than just jumping off a bridge without any idea what is beneath

What clearer view is that- Project Fear once again?

The remainers (referendum losers I remind you) on this forum still are unable to spell out any advantages to staying, only possible pitfalls to leaving. Even the Bank of England is saying no deal won't be that bad.

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Because it's a representative democracy, with representatives using their own judgement, not delegates. As Edmund Burke put it to the electors of Bristol:

'But his unbiassed opinion, his mature judgment, his enlightened conscience, he ought not to sacrifice to you, to any man, or to any set of men living. These he does not derive from your pleasure; no, nor from the law and the constitution...He is not a member of Bristol, but he is a member of parliament.'

In other words once they've conned us with a manifesto (we support the referendum result!) got our vote .they can do what the heck they like with impunity.

Last week I had conversation with a German guy over a beer.

He said "Its sad you are leaving, surely you are too small to go it alone?"

I said "If as the worlds 7 largest economy we are too small I pity the rest, and even in the EU we often feel alone"

Then I said "we know how much we pay into EU how much does Germany pay and what do you get out of it"

His answer shocked me: " It doesn't matter how much we pay because we will control Europe soon and all will be good, it's a long game"

8 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

The remainers (referendum losers I remind you) on this forum still are unable to spell out any advantages to staying, only possible pitfalls to leaving. Even the Bank of England is saying no deal won't be that bad.

Well, regarding the Bank Of England, you are right that they have revised their intial predictions. They now only say GDP will fall by 5.5% in the worst-case scenario following a no-deal Brexit - unemployment could increase by 7% and inflation may peak at 5.25%. Like you said, not as bad as they originally suggested but I don't see them getting too giddy about the economic benefits.

As for Remainers, yes they lost a flawed referendum. But that's not the point, read the first paragraph and realise this is what the Bank of England is saying, not Project Fear or Remoaners or soft commies without the guts to stick it to those dirty foreigners, this is the primary banking institution in our country - spelling it out in black and white how they think it will go. 

I don't care that much that we lost, I'm a Labour supporter and a Derby fan so I know how it feels. But I do care that some would march this country into a new tomorrow without any clear idea of what lies beyond, what benefits it will bring beyond vacuous hoorah statements of getting our country back. I don't like the idea that many will lose their jobs, their livelihoods and their futures in order to benefit the few (of which I will take a pretty educated stab you are not one).

12 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I said "If as the worlds 7 largest economy we are too small I pity the rest, and even in the EU we often feel alone"

Then I said "we know how much we pay into EU how much does Germany pay and what do you get out of it"

His answer shocked me: " It doesn't matter how much we pay because we will control Europe soon and all will be good, it's a long game"

A random bloke told a random bloke in a pub that Germany wants to take over Europe and that's why we should now leave.

Magical....

Oh, and we're the fifth largest economy in the world by GDP, for your info

46 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

image.png

26 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

A random bloke told a random bloke in a pub that Germany wants to take over Europe and that's why we should now leave.

Magical....

Oh, and we're the fifth largest economy in the world by GDP, for your info

He was random I grant you and easy to chat to, nice to get an outsiders view of Brexit, although in the whole week we were in Italy he was the only person we met who mentioned Brexit, including the Brits. He raised the subject because he sells marble slabs mainly to the UK and is worried about tariffs, but he really just wanted certainty over the future.

The GDP was what I remembered, we were having a beer not poring over spreadsheets, although in the last 2 minutes I have seen our position rated between 5 and 12th depending on what exchange rates are used. Actually irrelevant. We are bigger than most and well equipped to go it alone

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

Ah, faith.

Brexit has become a cult, no more, no less. Adherents to the cult will never be swayed - if it all goes badly, which many people (ok, the advocates of doom are generally experts in their respective fields, so by definition you have heard enough from them) suggest that it will, then it will be somebody else's fault - the Supreme Court, the EU, Remainers, anyone apart from the people who voted to leave or the self-serving Tory politicians and their financial backers who have been short-selling Sterling and who are now waiting to pick over the rotting corpse of the economy and make billions out of it. This is just like religious cults do when the 'Rapture' doesn't happen when it is supposed to - then it's Satan's fault, they dust themselves down and pull another date from the nearest choirboy's trousers, and it just goes around again.

2 hours ago, Spanish said:

Good point, apart from the fact that no deal was never mentioned 

Leave means we are out of the EU the default position is no deal at WTO rules it is very easy to understand. 

My local MP voted leave and but understands this fact so why do other remainers deny this?

I don't know how to twitter, so copy/paste it is...

Great call on @lbc just now.

MAN: “I just want to thank you Nigel, for all you’ve done for British politics. I was an ardent remainer. I voted remain. Until one moment that changed it all”

FARAGE: “Wow. And what was that moment?”

MAN: “I got kicked in the head by a horse.”

And they say Germans have no sense of humour

And everyone stood up and applauded. 

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Well, given we are now one month and one week away from our promised exit date and we don't even know what sort of exit, if at all, we will have then I would suggest quite a lot.

If you're a Welsh farmer, likely to lose 250m€ in funding from the EU and looking at an imposed export tariff of 40% on all lamb (92% of Welsh lamb is currently sold in the EU). On top of that 60% of abattoir staff are EU nationals so have no current right to remain, which means even if you can sell it you can't slaughter it. Just one small example, threre are thousands more, but don't tell me you didn't understand that level of detail when you voted in the ridiculously simplified referendum.

Just a tinsy thing, but 40% of Welsh lamb is exported, and 92% of that to EU countries. Still significant but not quite as bad as 92% of the total.

For balance ? regarding abattoir labourers, the current estimate is actually 80% are EU nationals, 

1 minute ago, Van Gritters said:

I think the best thing Johnson did was shut parliament. I am sick of hearing the baalocks spouted everyday in the hole. 

Now some old bag had said it’s got to open up again ffs. 

Is there anyway of not paying them until they have sorted the whole mess out.

Three weeks ago...

Brexiteers: "Proroguing Parliament has nothing to do with Brexit."

Now:

Brexiteers: "The Supreme Court are interfering with politics by declaring the proroguing of Parliament illegal. They just want to stop Brexit."

Can't have it both ways, I'm afraid.

Archived