The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, cstand said:

Embarrassing for Luxembourg PM.

Not really. There wasn't enough space inside for a press conference. It was an unrealistic, last minute pivot from Boris. 

From The Independent

"Luxembourg government officials said there was no room inside large enough to move the press conference to. They added that Downing Street had suggested selecting just a few handpicked journalists to come inside – but the hosts rejected this on the basis that it would have been unfair."

The embarrassment lays squarely with Mr. Johnson. 

48 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Why do certain types of people have to have it boil down to a conflict that started 80 years ago? Where's the relevance?

The older generation now, largely grew up with parents who lived through/fought in WW2 - plus a lot of the time their superiors during their formative years of employment also did (and in a lot of cases will have at least done national service). You can't underestimate the effect that has had on a generational psyche

9 hours ago, McRamFan said:

When you start with insults you lose.  The majority of Unionists are descendants from people that worked for the lorded gentry, of which there where four, that divided the island up.  Actually their own greed brought on conflict in the isle, long before Bloody Sunday.  When ROI and NI became separate entities, the Unionists in the rest of Eire where moved to Belfast and surrounding areas, displacing Nationalists, usually by force.

Oh by the way, it actually goes back to the 12th century, if you want to be accurate, but hey don't let facts get in your way. 

There are no insults (that is quite funny). I have never nor would I insult anyone on here. I think you have issues kid, so let’s leave it there. ??

22 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

Boris reckoned the press weren't there. It looked and sounded to me like they were but maybe it's fake news?

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-confronted-by-patients-relative-at-hospital-11813046

This is awful - the bloke confronting him has been identified as a Labour member/activist and Laura Kuenssberg from the BBC has directed people to his Twitter account for a pile on. Just what someone with a critically ill child needs

I'm seeing some feeds of articles that Farage and his Brexit MEP mob have been "raging" in the European parliament today, calling the Luxembourg PM a "pipsqueak", asking "how DARE he humiliate our PM?", stating that "a clean break was absolutely necessary" and generally being disruptive and heckling.

Is it just me that hopes we can keep this shower over there in Europe after Brexit? Any chance of weaving that into the withdrawal agreement?

"We demand a clean break and you won't get your money. Or, you can have your £39bn if you'll keep Farage"...?

26 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

This is awful - the bloke confronting him has been identified as a Labour member/activist and Laura Kuenssberg from the BBC has directed people to his Twitter account for a pile on. Just what someone with a critically ill child needs

I fail to see what bearing his political affiliation should have when he's talking about such a personal issue. Unless only Conservatives with sick children should be able to talk to the Prime Minister during his press tour of a hospital?  A press tour he then has the temerity to say isn't a press tour. 

People piling are the definition of arguing in bad faith. Instead of challenging what he's said, they're attacking him for who he is. Didn't Margaret Thatcher say you know you've won when they started attacking you instead of your argument?

34 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

The BBC are the government's state-sponsored mouthpiece now. Basically our own Pravda.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I'm seeing some feeds of articles that Farage and his Brexit MEP mob have been "raging" in the European parliament today, calling the Luxembourg PM a "pipsqueak", asking "how DARE he humiliate our PM?", stating that "a clean break was absolutely necessary" and generally being disruptive and heckling.

Is it just me that hopes we can keep this shower over there in Europe after Brexit? Any chance of weaving that into the withdrawal agreement?

"We demand a clean break and you won't get your money. Or, you can have your £39bn if you'll keep Farage"...?

Both Boris and Farage have resorted to name calling over the past few weeks. 

They think they are being clever and have that smug look on their face. 

Playing to the lowest common denominator as per usual. Hopefully most respectable people see them for what they are.  

8 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Sadly if that was the case we would have a Labour government right now. 

Yeah right and the country would be proper fked now if a Communist and traitor like the self-styled "Red" Ed had got in. With his evil energy price caps.

Did you ever see him eat a bacon sandwich? You can't trust him or this thinly veiled anti-Semitic reasoning.

Thank god we got Cameron who was a born leader. He wanted to be PM cos he "thought he would actually be pretty good at it"!

At least he wasn't quite as egotistical as our current world king.

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Yeah right and the country would be proper fked now if a Communist and traitor like the self-styled "Red" Ed had got in. With his evil energy price caps.

Did you ever see him eat a bacon sandwich? You can't trust him or this thinly veiled anti-Semitic reasoning.

Thank god we got Cameron who was a born leader. He wanted to be PM cos he "thought he would actually be pretty good at it"!

At least he wasn't quite as egotistical as our current world king.

wasn't that pig-head buggering or summat?

Sure there was something in an edition of my "Bullingdon Bugle" ……….?

2 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

I may be wrong, but where does it say that his child is critically ill?

If the child is critically ill what would I do? Be with my critically ill child or take the opportunity to leave the ill child because you know a politician and camera are in the building. Hmmm Mr. Salem, would you have confronted the PM if there wasn’t a camera there. 

2 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

I fail to see what bearing his political affiliation should have when he's talking about such a personal issue. Unless only Conservatives with sick children should be able to talk to the Prime Minister during his press tour of a hospital?  A press tour he then has the temerity to say isn't a press tour. 

People piling are the definition of arguing in bad faith. Instead of challenging what he's said, they're attacking him for who he is. Didn't Margaret Thatcher say you know you've won when they started attacking you instead of your argument?

Respectable Conservatives with sick children go to a private hospital.

31 minutes ago, bcnram said:

I may be wrong, but where does it say that his child is critically ill?

If the child is critically ill what would I do? Be with my critically ill child or take the opportunity to leave the ill child because you know a politician and camera are in the building. Hmmm Mr. Salem, would you have confronted the PM if there wasn’t a camera there. 

Does he have a child in the hospital? Does he have a child at all? Was he miked up? Was it staged? Will we ever win at home again? So many questions.

"Free movement between Australia and the UK would be explored by the government in “post-Brexit” business talks, Liz Truss, the international trade secretary, has announced."

This will surely infuriate leavers. Swarms of Aussies will invade our country and increase the pressure on our public services. They will also take all our jobs whilst simultaneously sponging off our benefit system.

Want an Aussie for a neighbour? Vote Tory. I heard that Aussies eat dog food and there is no smoke without fire.

I feel that this sort of policy will encourage more people to join far right groups and violence is inevitable.

19 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

"Free movement between Australia and the UK would be explored by the government in “post-Brexit” business talks, Liz Truss, the international trade secretary, has announced."

This will surely infuriate leavers. Swarms of Aussies will invade our country and increase the pressure on our public services. They will also take all our jobs whilst simultaneously sponging off our benefit system.

Want an Aussie for a neighbour? Vote Tory. I heard that Aussies eat dog food and there is no smoke without fire.

I feel that this sort of policy will encourage more people to join far right groups and violence is inevitable.

It's only natural for Australians to come to England.

Don't they say that criminals always re-visit the scene of the crime?

Archived