The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I'm sure 14 million voters must have seen at least one of his proposals written somewhere.

Yeah it was on the side of a bus and just said were going to be rich i tell ya

2 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

Don't know. If you could explain a little about why it would be a sight to see i will let you know. Apart from mine bojos house, where would you suggest sending the unionists?

I have no idea what hes suggesting either. Sort of sounds like hes saying you might have some fancy pants house, for some reason or other.

10 hours ago, Spanish said:

where are you going with this one?

anybody who can't trace a bloodline back to a period before english involvement gets 'sent back'?

My next-door neighbour is a Yorkshireman (and a Leeds fan). Can I have a vote on this please?

16 hours ago, Paul71 said:

The Conservative Party of the UK supported the Yes campaign. If you want to use it as a tool to bash the Tories at least get your facts right, you will be saying the Labour party should take credit for the Good Friday Agreement just because they were in power at the time next.

Yes yes I am sure you will come back and say the 'local' conservatives in NI supported No, but while I don't know the figures I am guessing their numbers in the Conservative party wouldn't be enough to make it a Conservative party majority.

So you are simply saying that NI should be re-united with the ROI and anyone who lives in NI who has some sort of English ancestry should be made to leave the country, and therefore the remaining population will be happy with re-unification?

You have neatly contradicted yourself.  When you know the facts, please feel free to come back.  Please stop thinking I am a Labour supporter, life is not black or white, unless you are a deluded brexiteer and have to work for someone.

23 hours ago, Spanish said:

where are you going with this one?

anybody who can't trace a bloodline back to a period before english involvement gets 'sent back'?

Going where ever the reaction takes it.  Very few can 'trace' there lineage back to being 'english'.  This land we live in is a bunch of mongrels, interbreeding is rife throughout the centuries.  I just like yanking the short chains of jingoism.

2 hours ago, McRamFan said:

You have neatly contradicted yourself.  When you know the facts, please feel free to come back.  Please stop thinking I am a Labour supporter, life is not black or white, unless you are a deluded brexiteer and have to work for someone.

Going where ever the reaction takes it.  Very few can 'trace' there lineage back to being 'english'.  This land we live in is a bunch of mongrels, interbreeding is rife throughout the centuries.  I just like yanking the short chains of jingoism.

How so?

The UK Conservative party voted Yes. Only the local NI one voted No? How did i contradict myself?

5 hours ago, Paul71 said:

How so?

The UK Conservative party voted Yes. Only the local NI one voted No? How did i contradict myself?

They didn't have a vote, the English, Scottish and Welsh tories backed the Yes vote, all parties in the Republic all backed the Yes vote too.  The NI tories, who did have the right to vote, voted No.

Labour to abolish private schools? That's a bold move - but ultimately a brave step forward to a fairer society

There is a very strong argument that our current dysfunctional politics is a  product of the private school system. We're largely governed by people who have been privileged their entire lives and have zero connection to the life led by everyone else. 

Discuss!

16 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Labour to abolish private schools? That's a bold move - but ultimately a brave step forward to a fairer society

There is a very strong argument that our current dysfunctional politics is a  product of the private school system. We're largely governed by people who have been privileged their entire lives and have zero connection to the life led by everyone else. 

Discuss!

I'm in favour of Private schools losing charity status and tax benefits but if people want to pay through the nose to have their kids educated, then they should be allowed to. I don't see what's to be gained by the policy, to be honest.

Oh, and Corbyn went to a private school....

I am in favour of the policy of scrapping prescription charges, though & was unaware that around 85% of them are free anyway based on age or medical condition, which is particularly unfair IMO. Why should I have to pay for blood pressure medications when other lifelong conditions are free?

7 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

I'm in favour of Private schools losing charity status and tax benefits but if people want to pay through the nose to have their kids educated, then they should be allowed to. I don't see what's to be gained by the policy, to be honest.

Yeah - I don't know how the charity/tax exemption thing for private schools is even justified. It would raise a pretty big chunk of cash.

I'm in two minds about your second comment. I know what you mean - but then that just perpetuates the "old school tie" privilege, and won't do anything to stop parliament being stuffed with people from privileged backgrounds. That said It's hard to understand the detail of how they are proposing to "integrate them into the state sector" as the media reporting is somewhat histrionic

21 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Oh, and Corbyn went to a private school...

Yes, he went to a private primary school, but a state secondary (albeit a selective school not a comp). Then he went to North London Poly and dropped out without graduating, so it's not much of an argument (unless you're the Sun newspaper I guess) - Plus his primary education was his parents choice not his! He is against selective schools, to the point that he supposedly  divorced his previous wife over it...

26 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

I am in favour of the policy of scrapping prescription charges, though & was unaware that around 85% of them are free anyway based on age or medical condition, which is particularly unfair IMO

Agree with that - plus prescriptions also free for every one in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. It's just the English who have to pay!

2 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Discuss!

I read something very interesting (but can't remember the source) that suggested that it's specifically boarding schools that are the cause for ducking us over. You go to boarding school and it's a feral atmosphere of survival. A gauntlet of house masters, bullies etc create a 'kill or be killed' approach to survival, which basically destroys any feelings of empathy. What you are left with a bunch of self-obsessed individuals who continue through adult life with their 'better him than me' attitude. And it's these people that run the country. People who lack basic social skills like empathy but are adept at watching others take the rap, adept at stabbing others in the back, adept at survival at all costs.

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I read something very interesting (but can't remember the source) that suggested that it's specifically boarding schools that are the cause for ducking us over. You go to boarding school and it's a feral atmosphere of survival. A gauntlet of house masters, bullies etc create a 'kill or be killed' approach to survival, which basically destroys any feelings of empathy. What you are left with a bunch of self-obsessed individuals who continue through adult life with their 'better him than me' attitude. And it's these people that run the country. People who lack basic social skills like empathy but are adept at watching others take the rap, adept at stabbing others in the back, adept at survival at all costs.

Makes a lot of sense - then when you couple it with the old boy network that means none of them have to try very hard to get to where they want to be. People talk about Boris Johnson being "born to be Prime Minister". He was very publicly sacked as Tory Vice-Chairman for lying. Can you imagine you getting the most senior job in your company when you'd already been exposed as an untrustworthy liar?

41 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Makes a lot of sense - then when you couple it with the old boy network that means none of them have to try very hard to get to where they want to be. People talk about Boris Johnson being "born to be Prime Minister". He was very publicly sacked as Tory Vice-Chairman for lying. Can you imagine you getting the most senior job in your company when you'd already been exposed as an untrustworthy liar?

To be honest as this world goes is to be one man picked out of ten thousand.

Johnson has managed to get sacked twice for lying. I can only conclude that the people who put him in his current position either don't care whether he is honest or they are complete suckers.

15 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

To be honest as this world goes is to be one man picked out of ten thousand.

Johnson has managed to get sacked twice for lying. I can only conclude that the people who put him in his current position either don't care whether he is honest or they are complete suckers.

Surely lying is a qualification for a politician.

Archived