Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

According to my sources today is the day that Lampard may or may not be revealed as the new Chelsea manager, unless he’s signed an extension with DCFC, in which case he won’t. There is continuing speculation that he may or may not return from holiday today, and Christine might or might not post further revealing videos that tell us something or nothing. Rest assured though, by the end of today we will all know exactly what is happening, but we probably won’t. 

Copy repeat for as long as it takes

#ITK / #gotajobwithsky

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can nobody see this from his perspective?  The whole instagram birthday thing just shows he’s probably a little torn between what to do.  He will know that he’s well liked here as manager, has a link with the fans and has created a good team spirit in the dressing room.  He’ll also know that he’s still early in his managerial career and knows he’s learning so is the move to a top 6 Prem club that will demand success a good move right now?  On the other hand, it’s moving back to London, more money, more resources and to his club.

The fact he hasn’t instantly jumped ship and gone there, to me, shows some loyalty to us.  He appreciates the club, what we’ve done for him and what he’s got here.  Put yourself in his shoes though, would you not be torn?  Say any of you managed someone like Southend, did well in your season there and Derby came calling, what would you do?

I don’t like how it’s dragged out as it eats into season planning and I don’t want him to go but I’m not going to start overreacting to an instagram video or suddenly act like a jilted ex who starts with the whole “well he wasn’t that good anyway” talk.  The guy is human and has a tough decision to make for his career, give him a break.

After thinking long and hard about it, I think I've rationalised where we're at and how we got here. It's purely my opinion and nothing factual before I get crucified for it. I reckon that when Mel and Frank sat down for their end of season chat it went something like this: It was probably a bit awkward at first, a bit like when your partner says we need a serious chat tonight and you're not sure whether you're gonna get binned or chastised for leaving your towel on the bathroom floor. After both initially saying "no you go first, no you go first" Frank eventually bit the bullet and probably said something along the lines of: " Listen Mel, I've thoroughly enjoyed my first year at the club. I reckon we're pretty much where we should be at this point and I'm reasonably happy with how the season panned out. There is room for improvement and I'm eager to take us to the next level. However as you know, I've got connections with Chelsea and although I've had no discussions with anyone official, I've had strong indications that should Sarri leave then I will be seriously considered for the role. What are your thoughts? "

Mel: " Well, I'm will be very disappointed if you considered leaving at this point. We both knew this day would come but not this soon. I urge you not to do anything hastily. Go away with Christine, enjoy your birthday and have a very good think about all the implications. Say nothing to anyone, especially not the press and I'll deal with things at this end. We'll sort all this when you get back."

Frank leaves the meeting with a tear in his eyes. Mel bursts uncontrollably into tears as Frank closes the door behind him. So that leaves us where we're at. The press scrambling for a story and making any old shizzle up. Expect a decision by Monday at the latest. I desperately hope he stays for what it's worth. Apologies for the length of the post. Took longer than Frank's decision. 

12 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

Can nobody see this from his perspective?  The whole instagram birthday thing just shows he’s probably a little torn between what to do.  He will know that he’s well liked here as manager, has a link with the fans and has created a good team spirit in the dressing room.  He’ll also know that he’s still early in his managerial career and knows he’s learning so is the move to a top 6 Prem club that will demand success a good move right now?  On the other hand, it’s moving back to London, more money, more resources and to his club.

The fact he hasn’t instantly jumped ship and gone there, to me, shows some loyalty to us.  He appreciates the club, what we’ve done for him and what he’s got here.  Put yourself in his shoes though, would you not be torn?  Say any of you managed someone like Southend, did well in your season there and Derby came calling, what would you do?

I don’t like how it’s dragged out as it eats into season planning and I don’t want him to go but I’m not going to start overreacting to an instagram video or suddenly act like a jilted ex who starts with the whole “well he wasn’t that good anyway” talk.  The guy is human and has a tough decision to make for his career, give him a break.

Or the fact that he hasn’t instantly jumped ship is because Chelsea not certain whether he is right man at this time and not offered yet but the whole lampard machine ,pr people, agents , family ,friends ,colleagues are lobbying hard to get him the offer with him sitting in the background safe in the knowledge it’s win win ,

course I may be miles off and hope I am but the more you watch this unfold the more orchestrated it appears , I stated earlier that if lampard was manager at Man City the whole Chelsea romance thing would hold no sway ,he ain’t going there,  

chelsea is a don’t don’t pass go card straight to the top six for lampard ,trading on fans good will and pressuring Chelsea board , a manger with one years experience in the championship straight to top 4 and champions league ffs ,

theres every chance Chelsea and their fans are being manipulated and used just as much as Derby s 

Just now, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I do wonder what managers like Howe, Dyche even Wilder might think.

Worked their socks off, done an unbelievable job at the clubs they have been at.

Lampards comes in. Takes a team from 6th to 6th and walks into a top 4 job.

suppose they should have been legends as players then.

IN fairness, in most other countries, top players walk straight into top jobs as managers, even national managers. Think Klinsmann, Van Basten, Koeman, Maradonna, Seedorf, Mancini... the list is huge, but I've got to pretend to do some work right now :) 

2 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I do wonder what managers like Howe, Dyche even Wilder might think.

Worked their socks off, done an unbelievable job at the clubs they have been at.

Lampards comes in. Takes a team from 6th to 6th and walks into a top 4 job.

It’s not going to be a top 4 job for long. 

20 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

After thinking long and hard about it, I think I've rationalised where we're at and how we got here. It's purely my opinion and nothing factual before I get crucified for it. I reckon that when Mel and Frank sat down for their end of season chat it went something like this: It was probably a bit awkward at first, a bit like when your partner says we need a serious chat tonight and you're not sure whether you're gonna get binned or chastised for leaving your towel on the bathroom floor. After both initially saying "no you go first, no you go first" Frank eventually bit the bullet and probably said something along the lines of: " Listen Mel, I've thoroughly enjoyed my first year at the club. I reckon we're pretty much where we should be at this point and I'm reasonably happy with how the season panned out. There is room for improvement and I'm eager to take us to the next level. However as you know, I've got connections with Chelsea and although I've had no discussions with anyone official, I've had strong indications that should Sarri leave then I will be seriously considered for the role. What are your thoughts? "

Mel: " Well, I'm will be very disappointed if you considered leaving at this point. We both knew this day would come but not this soon. I urge you not to do anything hastily. Go away with Christine, enjoy your birthday and have a very good think about all the implications. Say nothing to anyone, especially not the press and I'll deal with things at this end. We'll sort all this when you get back."

Frank leaves the meeting with a tear in his eyes. Mel bursts uncontrollably into tears as Frank closes the door behind him. So that leaves us where we're at. The press scrambling for a story and making any old shizzle up. Expect a decision by Monday at the latest. I desperately hope he stays for what it's worth. Apologies for the length of the post. Took longer than Frank's decision. 

This probably isn't too far from the truth.

For all we know though, Frank could have gone into the meeting open minded, but, if Mel told him we have no money to spend, we need to sell to buy, replace the 3 loans with equal or greater quality and sign another 5 or 6 players whilst wheeling and dealing, the thoughts of integrating Abraham, Mount, Hudson-Odoi and Tomori into the Chelsea first team might have sounded like an easier task.

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

another angle is that Frank is aware that even speaking about the Chelsea job, without knowing he's even being considered (by CHELSEA, not by press), would be embarrassing and unprofessional. He is still working to impress them so he will be one day be considered for that job.

Saying ANYTHING publicly about it, other than to dismiss it as speculation, until he's approached, is just stupid, plain and simple.

If you think the right thing to do is come out and say anything, you're an idiot, and if you insist that in his position, that you would say something, then you're an idiot.

Anybody calling anybody that doesn’t agree with them an idiot is just an offensive idiot 

41 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

not sure it tells us anything for certain.  The bar staff put the music on either because he has been talking about it (unlikely), he was about to leave the bar, or the bar staff were trying a wind up after failing to get any response from him

The silence from Frank and Derby is fully understandable. 

Frank is on holiday and there is nothing to report from Derby (as far as we know).

What is slightly worrying is the silence from Chelsea. You would have thought that having parted ways with Sarri they would have announced who are in their radar.

Unless I have missed something I have only heard rumours as to their list of favourites due to speculation from the journo's. 

I haven't seen or heard any 'we are actively wanting to talk to.... or here is our list of favourites and we will be making enquiries soon.......

As far as we are aware there has been no OFFICIAL approach for Frank. (What goes on in the background however is another matter).

I hope Frank does what we see as the right ting and stay but I wouldn't vilify him for going

10 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

another angle is that Frank is aware that even speaking about the Chelsea job, without knowing he's even being considered (by CHELSEA, not by press), would be embarrassing and unprofessional. He is still working to impress them so he will be one day be considered for that job.

Saying ANYTHING publicly about it, other than to dismiss it as speculation, until he's approached, is just stupid, plain and simple.

If you think the right thing to do is come out and say anything, you're an idiot, and if you insist that in his position, that you would say something, then you're an idiot.

5 minutes ago, Archied said:

Anybody calling anybody that doesn’t agree with them an idiot is just an offensive idiot 

I agreed with everything @Mostyn6wrote until I got to the idiot sentence

3 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Are people really looking into that Instagram video as a secret message and not some wind up by bar staff/lads on tour. Good grief. 

A clash of opinions was always likely.

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I agreed with everything @Mostyn6wrote until I got to the idiot sentence

Held myself back from giving him the reply he deserved but I’m sure there will be a few along soon to justify his guff and pan anybody who either responds in kind or points it out for what it is in the way newish members like gibsy have 

This is dragging out abit isn't it? With the fixtures announced, pre season, the cup draw last night and Bryson's departure...absolutely nothing from Lampard on any of the subjects.

The whole thing has been handled really badly by Chelsea and FL. 

Takes literally two minutes to give Morris a statement of his intent, us fans are being taken the piss out of by the media and these ex Chelsea players. Put it to bed FFS. You continue to sun it up on you're jollies mate, liking any old Chelsea photo on insta

Archived