Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

3 minutes ago, Duracell said:

"Derby are braced for an approach from Chelsea for Lampard with the Rams set to demand £4m in compensation if the Blues are to bring in their former midfielder to take over from Maurizio Sarri. However, there has been no formal contact with Derby so far."

Football language is weird. How to you "brace" for an approach? Pull up the draw bridge? Place extra guards on the fortifications? 

Why am I now imagining Mel Morris in military uniform?

I’ve always enjoyed journalists football speak. According to them, footballers don’t go in for an operation or procedure, they always go under the knife, and admittedly a while back, if a manager criticised a referees performance, the headline would be So and So fires broadside at ref. What did the manager do ? Turn himself into a destroyer turn sideways fire all his big guns ? Mad.  

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Seen no evidence to suggest any of that is true. 

These papers sometimes tell us that over a million Romanian illegal immigrants are headed for our shores, that our towns are banning Christmas and that people have been sacked for wearing the St George Cross. Today I heard that one paper claims we're being invaded by killer Hornets. Between the Hornets and Spiders from last summer I am surprised Frank Lampard is still alive.

Do people genuinely believe half the poo they read? 

Some appear to believe all of it

19 minutes ago, Alpha said:

They understand we've been contacted by managers but have no quotes or evidence to explain why they understand it. 

I'm sure in the old days journalists would quote a source without revealing that the source is some bloke in the pub. 

Now media fire out clickbait headlines with no meat on the bone at all. It's funny tbh

I wonder why no one trusts the media anymore. I wont believe any statements unless they are directly from Derby County Football Club, Uncle Mel or Frank. However the media circus continues for another day............. It's rather tiresome.

21 minutes ago, Alpha said:

They understand we've been contacted by managers but have no quotes or evidence to explain why they understand it. 

I'm sure in the old days journalists would quote a source without revealing that the source is some bloke in the pub. 

Now media fire out clickbait headlines with no meat on the bone at all. It's funny tbh

The BBC reported that we'd been contacted by managers enquiring about the job, but we had declined to talk to them at this moment in time.  

All guesswork of course, but its the us declining to talk to them bit that is unusual (if Franks departure is imminent that is).

13 minutes ago, Duracell said:

"Derby are braced for an approach from Chelsea for Lampard with the Rams set to demand £4m in compensation if the Blues are to bring in their former midfielder to take over from Maurizio Sarri. However, there has been no formal contact with Derby so far."

Football language is weird. How to you "brace" for an approach? Pull up the draw bridge? Place extra guards on the fortifications? 

Why am I now imagining Mel Morris in military uniform?

Whatever floats your boat mate ??

43 minutes ago, JfR said:

But then why would the papers report it?
No, the only logical answer is that Gerrard made sure to get in touch with us to tell us to not consider him for the job that currently isn't available and which there was no suggestion he was being considered for

It's pretty simple - Derby County haven't made any official approaches. However, Mel will have instructed our agents to sound out possible replacements unofficially. 

Similarly, Chelsea haven't made an official approach for Lampard, but their agent will have had several meals with Frank's, and probably a couple with our's. 

So no official approaches, but lots of 'conversations'.

8 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

harry roly poly on Radio 5 live now stating Lampard will be Chelsea manager if offered it .   Yesterday it was done and dusted . 

So family putting it out there in the news that lampard wants the job and is waiting to be offered it ,,, frank not aware of this? Happy to let Harry put that out in the public domain? This is the man that got him the in for the Derby job too

20 hours ago, GenBr said:

Turns out all his talk of a two year plan was actually nonsense and he couldn't in fact be arsed to finish it. I expect no loyalty in football, but 2 seasons would have been nice after we took a chance on a completely untested manager and backed him completely. For him to jump ship immediately at the first sign of Chelsea interest has not endeared him to me. Many fans still to this day criticise McClaren for less than this and we give Frank a pass just because he started the bounce a couple of times.

Fortunately he wasn't that good a manager that he is irreplaceable. Would have been nice if he had ****** off earlier, but i'm sure whoever we get in will have enough time to sort things out.

There is a part of me that wants to agree with you but we have to be realistic. We knew if Chelsea came calling that Frank would go, we knew, he knew, Mel knew.  In a sense it was part of the deal and it would be churlish to clam anything else.

my old fashioned ethical self feels it would be right if he stayed another season but we are all grown ups and nothing was hidden, the compo is in the contract we just have to suck it up and move on it f it happens. 

Because of the Frank / Chelsea bond and the for knowledge that it was always there,  I can’t bear any ill will to Frank or anyone concerned. 

52 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's not quite how I imagined you meant Mel bracing for a shafting, I mean approach, by Chelsea! 

52 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Clench.....

I'd like to think all football club owners are issued with special pants by the League.

Velcro back and built in buggery grips, perhaps?

Archived