Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

Frank will always be linked with the Chelsea job.

However I feel it would be way too early for a big club to take a chance on someone so junior in his managerial career.

It could also potentially be very damaging for Frank should he fail.

I am sure Frank is not that naive to realise he needs to cut his teeth first before taking on a big position like this.

The only way I can see it happening is as a number 2 to a high profile manager. (Mind you, it didn't work out too well for Clement did it).

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just can’t see it myself, why would Chelsea go for someone who’s had one season as a manager and not achieved anything of note in that season (unless by some miracle we go up this year). The wolves boss would make far more sense, he’s done an excellent job there and has European pedigree to boot. Don’t think we’ve got anything to worry about, Lampard hasn’t shown anything yet to suggest he’s a good enough manager to take over Chelsea, he’d need to achieve something with us first, he’s far too naive from what we’ve seen so far as of yet. We’d survive if he went though, as I say he hasn’t shown anything special as a manager this season, naturally he could yet improve significantly but from what we’ve seen so far, he’d be easily replaceable with a jokanovic or someone if Chelsea did go for it and we’d at the very least not get worse, maybe even get better to be honest. Just needs to be a man with THE RIGHT PHILOSOPHY, much like frank.

As I say, don’t think he will go tho, and with new likely foreign owners coming in, I’d think whoever the new board are will want to keep him in for his name, and potentially give him a war chest as a sweetener.

Well it's not BS website talk - Chelsea will be considering Sarri's position and, IF he goes, who his replacement will be. Frank will be on any long list. So it's lazy website talk.

Frank will also have Mel possibly selling in the back of his mind. He might not like the new owners IF they come and IF Mel sells. 

But for all sorts of reasons Frank would be daft to leave now for his own career development and daft to go to Chelsea just at a time when their owner appears to be losing interest. And I don't think Frank is daft. He knows that if he's good enough the Chelsea job will always be available to him at some point whoever owns Chelsea, if he wants it. And so far one season into a career he hasn't proved himself good enough.

Whilst i love Frank and hope he stays here i cant see what he has done to be considered for the Chelsea job other than that he used to play for them.

If he goes i suppose the replacement will be more of a Nigel Clough type replacement trying to cut costs. Its going to have to be a manager who can work on a tight budget. To be honest i think we need to consider someone from abroad this time - there is no-one in this country in our price range who really stands out to me.

Whether Frank goes to Chelsea or not, these are uncertain times. 

Frank reacted badly to the negativity when the form dipped, the promotion hopes faded, and the breaking stories about the ownership situation leaked out. It seems as though he was feeling the pressure and the burdon of responsibility.

44 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Whether Frank goes to Chelsea or not, these are uncertain times. 

Frank reacted badly to the negativity when the form dipped, the promotion hopes faded, and the breaking stories about the ownership situation leaked out. It seems as though he was feeling the pressure and the burdon of responsibility.

Didn’t see this bad reaction but of course he would have felt the pressure, every manager is under pressure, it’s in the job description.

He hasn’t walked in off the street from a Tesco checkout, would have known what was ahead having seen a number of Chelsea managers walk in and out of Stamford Bridge doors.

What he may have not been prepared for is this “February wobble” talk and the negativity which stems from it, how quick people are to write us off despite spending most of the season in the top 6. Any frustration shown was completely understandable as I share it myself.

Not you personally (about to clear my chest), but feels like there is a whiff off “told you he wasn’t cut out for management”, just another Gary Neville, Thierry Henry lingering around, even analysing the bags under his eyes forgetting the man has recently had a baby. From what I’ve read they have a habit of giving you sleepless nights, others can confirm.

I’m sure the same is going on up at Rangers now with Gerrard, forget the Derby way this is the new British way. 

Finally for what it’s worth, even if we don’t go up this season I’m not sure it’s fair to throw he’s achieved nothing in his face.

First job in football, changed the style of football even though some fail to see what that is, brought through a number of acedmy players whilst competing at the top end of the table for most of the season. Throw in a number of injuries to key players, removed a spy from bushes not once but twice, all whilst becoming a Dad again. 

Solid first season in management for me, even if he doesn’t get to add promotion in year one on his CV. I’m sure Chelsea will be tracking his progress for the future, and this is an encouraging start.

I feel better now, apologies for quoting your post as a platform to moan off.

There's no 'IF' about Sarri leaving - he is toast, just a matter of (not too much) time on that one. Good bud of mine, who is a rarity in that he is a Chelsea fan and can also talk intelligibly about football, suggests that Lampard is what Chelsea need in the same way that Zidane was needed at Madrid (first time around). Not so much his tactical nouse (which we all agree is in need of maturing at managerial level) but in that he can bring together a club that has been somewhat fragmented at the top since Mourinho came back. Chelsea are really quite lost as a club at the moment and Lampard would be the perfect person to solve that issue - not saying it is going to happen, just that this rumour isn't one that we can just dispel with a yawning gif.

23 minutes ago, David said:

I’m sure the same is going on up at Rangers now with Gerrard, forget the Derby way this is the new British way. 

Thought I’d check Twitter to confirm, was not disappointed. 

BF6F6A66-3468-471D-965D-B2E528118B33.jpeg

You never can tell where the heart will lead you - and Frank clearly has a fondness for Chelsea (even though him and his Dad are both Irons) - BUT he must surely know that if he goes to Chelsea too soon and messes up then his managerial career is in tatters

His CV would say - struggled to get a big Championship side promoted so gave up after 1 season, and then couldn't turn a big Prem team around. Where does he go from there?

I would be baffled if this happened. If we were in and around the top 2 then it would make some sense, but we're not. I would be sad to see him go but (to quote the snake) 'the reality is' at the moment we're doing ok. We're floating around the edge of the play-offs with a team thats probably good enough for about that. Long term he is only going to improve, but as it stands Chelsea would just be hiring a seemingly decent championship manager. Clubs the size of Chelsea demand instant results (hence they're getting rid of Sarri) - it would be a stupid appointment on their behalf and probably stupid of Lampard to take it at this time. 

So nothing to worry about. And if he does go there are plenty of managers who are a similar level to Lampard currently. 

Obviously, if his name wasn’t Frank Lampard then this wouldn’t even be an issue.  He is doing ‘ok’ in his first management job but is not particularly pulling any trees up in terms of results or performances.  He has done nothing in my view to suggest a top club like Chelsea would be coming in for him and I hope that is how they see it.

I hope he stays.  I want to see some stability and a team being built over time and there have been enough signs that he could be a good manager and that we could progress.  If he leaves at the end of the season then so be it... in all likelihood we would continue to be a team that is there or thereabouts in terms of playoffs.  

I don’t want him to go, but wouldn’t be mortified if he did.

I’m currently more bothered about Mel’s position TBH.  

Archived