Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

5 minutes ago, David said:

Not at all, I don’t know Lampard, never had any interaction with him and I’m sure he is more than capable of defending himself.

What I posted was just my opinion, as are all my posts, airing frustrations I have from this season with the criticism he has come in for. 

Feels good to get it off the chest, and where better to do that than the best Derby County forum online? 

I wouldn't use the word criticism I prefer to use the phrase constructive feedback to assist get to the required level of performance 

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

There's a few, i think Jokanovic and Wagner would be near the top of a lot of people's lists just for their recent promotions. We would have to compromise on style but in terms of standard i'm sure people like Karanka, Moyes, Bilic would get a mention. My knowledge of League 1 and 2 managers is lacking but the german bloke at Barnsley appears to be doing well, as does the caretaker manager at Luton. Could even take a risk on the Cowley brothers at Lincoln, currently at the top of league 2 having done a good long-term job there. 

Jok is the only one that'd tempt me tbh. Wagner's style of football would have Derby fans up in arms, demanding lot that we are. I do kind of like Bilic but Karanka is an arch shithouse and Moyes doesn't seem to have moved with the times. At this point I'm more than happy with Frank assuming he's still happy with us lot. 

7 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

There's a few, i think Jokanovic and Wagner would be near the top of a lot of people's lists just for their recent promotions.

Be interesting to know why both Stoke and WBA so far have been able to tempt Jokanovic, both clubs have parachute payments as well.

Is he holding out for a Premier League job, or top flight gig abroad? 

Wagner, could be a similar situation as Jokanovic having took and kept Huddersfield up in their first year. 

The others I can’t bring myself to quote!

4 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I wouldn't use the word criticism I prefer to use the phrase constructive feedback to assist get to the required level of performance 

Assuming Frank reads DCFC and the 'constructive feedback' is enough of a stretch, but thinking our comments help him in any way seems a tad fanciful.

Also, don't forget the 'Lampard Out' threads and the like too which sit comfortably outside the parameters you're setting. Agree that folk should be able to critique without undue grief but you have to admit that some take it rather further than the level you are describing above. There are a core on here who will always state the case for stability and for managers to be given a fair crack of the whip.

4 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Jody Morris has been appointed by the club to assist Frank in getting the required level of performance. 

We are the fans, our role is to provide support to the club, manager and team. 

You might prefer to use the phrase constructive feedback, but I would be very very very worried if Frank turned to the fans looking for feedback on how to manage the team.

7 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Assuming Frank reads DCFC and the 'constructive feedback' is enough of a stretch, but thinking our comments help him in any way seems a tad fanciful.

Also, don't forget the 'Lampard Out' threads and the like too which sit comfortably outside the parameters you're setting. Agree that folk should be able to critique without undue grief but you have to admit that some take it rather further than the level you are describing above. There are a core on here who will always state the case for stability and for managers to be given a fair crack of the whip.

Yes totally concur I dont think any manager should be beyond scrutiny or comment but there's a sense of balance needed at all times that seems to run into rabid hysteria from time to time on here.

12 minutes ago, David said:

Jody Morris has been appointed by the club to assist Frank in getting the required level of performance. 

We are the fans, our role is to provide support to the club, manager and team. 

You might prefer to use the phrase constructive feedback, but I would be very very very worried if Frank turned to the fans looking for feedback on how to manage the team.

I agree I was more alluding to the fact that no manager is beyond criticism in parentheses or negative feedback.

There's a great quote in The Damned United where Clough tells his 2 assistant's at Leeds to mind their own business regards team selection and they tell him he doesn't have to justify himself to them but he does have to justify himself to the 40000 fans who will turn up at the game that evening 

11 hours ago, 86 points said:

FROM THE BBC WEBSITE

Chelsea are considering Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo, 45, or former club favourite and current Derby boss Frank Lampard, 40, to replace 60-year-old Italian Maurizio Sarri as manager. (Sun)

WIth Zidane having elected to head back to Madrid and therefore out of the running to take over at Stamford Bridge, alongside rumours of Mel Morris wanting to cut his losses, could this actually happen? Personally I can't see it and I think Frank has already stated that he's going nowhere but it is something of a concern nonetheless.

IMO, the club has needed a period of stability for a good few years now and as such, the timing of these reports really couldn't be worse. Yet another managerial change could be disastrous unless we can find a manager who shares Frank's philosophy and can therefore continue the current re-build rather than embarking on another rip and replace project. This said, the source of the story is The Sun...

What do we think chaps - BS paper-talk or something more real and for those thinking it's possible, who would you like to see considered as Frank's successor?

Had enough of all that stuff with Mac's protracted move to Newcastle. Wish someone would just get on with getting DCFC into the Premier League !

If Frank Lampard wasnt Frank Lampard & was Nigel Pearson or Gary Rowett etc would he have been sacked for this seasons league position & performances ?

Ideally want Frank to stay, give him time & for it work out. I want youth to be promoted & for us to be playing fast attacking football. I think we are all clinging to that dream 

But whilst i want him to stay to achive great things with Derby im not going to cry if he goes to Chelsea. Im not even that bothered about it to be honest.

On recent form Might be a blessing if they do come in for him

If offered he'll be off like a shot. His chances of getting us promoted are remote. Our squad is light years off the standard of the Prem. After years of overpriced flops (and those who are not are loaned out for the dosh) we do need someone who can put a proper squad together. It will require serious financial support and acumen - Wolves springs to mind and the path them down the road are on.

11 hours ago, David said:

Not you personally (about to clear my chest), but feels like there is a whiff off “told you he wasn’t cut out for management”, just another Gary Neville......I’m sure the same is going on up at Rangers now with Gerrard, forget the Derby way this is the new British way.

I'm not suggesting that he isn't cut out for management.

i was hoping that he would be given a bit of time and support because the rebuild cannot be accomplished in one season. It is unrealistic to expect a change of style, a turnover of the squad, and promotion all in year one.i thought at the outset that most people accepted that, not least because of the number of contracts that expire after the first season.

however, i'm becoming slightly concerned that the brief is indeed for immediate promotion. Frank was surprisingly bullish about our chances at the outset. The loans were clearly designed for immediate impact and some of the fees paid also suggested a degree of short termism.

when the form dipped and promotion hopes faded, we started getting the stories about Mel wanting to sell if we didn't go up. No doubt there were gossip and whispers around the club, and Frank responded angrily commenting about a club wallowing in doom and gloom.  

My fear is that whilst the fans weren't that fussed about promotion, maybe the club were, because the financial pressures were apparently more severe than many thought.

The fans forum will be interesting. Hopefully they emerge smiling and united and reassure fans that we are not headed for some kind of meltdown........again.

7 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I'm not suggesting that he isn't cut out for management.

i was hoping that he would be given a bit of time and support because the rebuild cannot be accomplished in one season. It is unrealistic to expect a change of style, a turnover of the squad, and promotion all in year one.i thought at the outset that most people accepted that, not least because of the number of contracts that expire after the first season.

however, i'm becoming slightly concerned that the brief is indeed for immediate promotion. Frank was surprisingly bullish about our chances at the outset. The loans were clearly designed for immediate impact and some of the fees paid also suggested a degree of short termism.

when the form dipped and promotion hopes faded, we started getting the stories about Mel wanting to sell if we didn't go up. No doubt there were gossip and whispers around the club, and Frank responded angrily commenting about a club wallowing in doom and gloom.  

My fear is that whilst the fans weren't that fussed about promotion, maybe the club were, because the financial pressures were apparently more severe than many thought.

The fans forum will be interesting. Hopefully they emerge smiling and united and reassure fans that we are not headed for some kind of meltdown........again.

I'm not sure whether this is what you're saying Ramnut, but I'm fed up to the back teeth with 'reality'. I want a manager to tell me that we are going all out to win every match in style and that if we do so we'll go up; I want them to sell me a dream. And when we go up I don't want anyone to tell me that they're aiming at 40 points, to be better than three other teams, to be top of the bottom mini league - I want to be told that we're going all out to win every game. And if we do we'll be Champions. And I think that's probably as much as Frank has been saying. I don't think he can or should say anything else.

What I would also like is a manager assessing his squad behind the scenes, it's weaknesses and strengths, honestly, trying to fill the gaps, adapting his views and actions to circumstances - injury, good form, FFP, contracts - bringing through young players, buying unknowns- but accepting (as we have to) that financial restrictions and the frequency of transfer windows may limit what he can actually do and how quickly.

It's a fine balance - between remaining publicly confident, ambitious, positive  and having a more private view on where we can improve, the choices that have to be made and the priorities established. For what it's worth my view is that Frank has done an exceptional job this season in a number of areas, prime amongst them in managing upwards. My bet would be that you'll find he and Mel well aligned at the forum.

7 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I'm not sure whether this is what you're saying Ramnut, but I'm fed up to the back teeth with 'reality'.

For what it's worth my view is that Frank has done an exceptional job this season in a number of areas, prime amongst them in managing upwards. My bet would be that you'll find he and Mel well aligned at the forum.

I like his management style which is positive and supportive. There is no silly jargon. Its not all about him. He doesn't keep quoting himself. He has reduced the age of the team and tried to play attractive football. He celebrates with the fans. He has promoted youth and made some good signings. I like the positive vibe but i'm 'realistic' enough to recognise that we will have dips; that we are not the finished article; and that there are other teams who are better placed than us to go up. Therefore i'm not fed up if we drop a few points and i'm not going to slash my wrists if we miss out on promotion.

According to the Times, he's ready to walk due to a cancelled trip. I can't say I believe it, but all the negative press at the moment is at least providing some entertainment. 

We're being sold for a quid, as well as being hit by a point deduction and about to lose our manager - this is the Derby County I grew up supporting!! 

Archived