Watchable telly

dog

Only just got round to watching The Queen's Gambit last week. Was absolutely brilliant, ended up binging it.

Was looking for something to fill the hole once I finished it and took a chance on another Netflix limited series called Godless starring our boy Jack O'Connell. Was completely unaware it was made by the same bloke who made Queen's Gambit, it is equally brilliant and a well made Western. Thoroughly recommend both, even though many have probably seen them.

Also just started watching the West Wing following the events in Capitol last week. Not sure what made me watch it but I do think it's excellent. Seems laughably optimistic and naive following the past 5 years though.

11 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Only just got round to watching The Queen's Gambit last week. Was absolutely brilliant, ended up binging it.

Was looking for something to fill the hole once I finished it and took a chance on another Netflix limited series called Godless starring our boy Jack O'Connell. Was completely unaware it was made by the same bloke who made Queen's Gambit, it is equally brilliant and a well made Western. Thoroughly recommend both, even though many have probably seen them.

Also just started watching the West Wing following the events in Capitol last week. Not sure what made me watch it but I do think it's excellent. Seems laughably optimistic and naive following the past 5 years though.

Cheers for the Godless recommendation, sounds good.

1 hour ago, PodgeyRam said:

Here to remind people that The Expanse on Amazon Prime is still one of the best things on TV and you're missing out if you haven't seen it. 

Fantastic cast and incredible writing that somehow keeps getting better and better as the seasons progress. 

Think I have started to watch the first episode twice and found it very slow...

23 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Think I have started to watch the first episode twice and found it very slow...

Admittedly the first few episodes are a bit slow, but it really kicks into gear after that. There's quite a bit of world building and character set up to get through. I'd definitely recommend persevering with it until at least the end of the first season.

Currently binge watching Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing series 3. Absolutely fantastic tv. I believe @DarkFruitsRam7 mentioned it in the summer and I watched the first 2 series. It must be one of the worst ideas ever for a tv series, but it's just so beautifully done. The banter between the two is great, with moments of humour and also reflection on life ( just found myself crying at Paul's memories of his dad in episode 4). If you haven't seen please give it a try. Fishing may not be your thing, but it really doesn't have to be.

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

Currently binge watching Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing series 3. Absolutely fantastic tv. I believe @DarkFruitsRam7 mentioned it in the summer and I watched the first 2 series. It must be one of the worst ideas ever for a tv series, but it's just so beautifully done. The banter between the two is great, with moments of humour and also reflection on life ( just found myself crying at Paul's memories of his dad in episode 4). If you haven't seen please give it a try. Fishing may not be your thing, but it really doesn't have to be.

Not me! You might be thinking of Detectorists.

25 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Thought it was you, but whoever it was thank you very much. As I said, a terrible idea for a tv series, but absolutely wonderful viewing.

I'd say the same for Detectorists. Definitely worth a watch, even though the premise (two middle-aged men walking around fields with metal detectors) sounds terrible.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

18 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Has anyone seen The Serpent on BBC iPlayer?

I watched the first episode. Only Jenna Coleman’s beautiful face kept me hanging in there.

Does it get better?

I found it annoying. 

The story itself is a fascinating one but the constantly changing timeline back and forth was unnecessary. 

There was quite a lot of overreacting in my opinion too. 

One of those BBC dramas that gets a bit too clever and up itself. 

12 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I found it annoying. 

The story itself is a fascinating one but the constantly changing timeline back and forth was unnecessary. 

There was quite a lot of overreacting in my opinion too. 

One of those BBC dramas that gets a bit too clever and up itself. 

I’d heard so many good things about it.

To be honest, the first episode didn’t really make me want to watch further episodes.

But The Queen’s Gambit was the same. I watched the first episode and it almost sent me to sleep.

Maybe it’s one to stick with. Maybe it grows on you.

12 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I’d heard so many good things about it.

To be honest, the first episode didn’t really make me want to watch further episodes.

But The Queen’s Gambit was the same. I watched the first episode and it almost sent me to sleep.

Maybe it’s one to stick with. Maybe it grows on you.

Ah, Queen's Gambit gains momentum. 

I found that far more entertaining. 

On 15/01/2021 at 20:05, Leicester Ram said:

We're currently re watching The West Wing. Last weekend we got to the end of the second series. 

Personally I think that the final two episodes in series two , must be some of the finest TV ever made. 

On 15/01/2021 at 20:05, Leicester Ram said:

Yep, loved the Queen's Gambit. One of, if not the best show of 2020 for my money. Also enjoyed Godless which surprised me to be honest as it wouldn't normally be my kind of thing.

26 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Me too. Lost me straight away but a good few seem to rate it so will probably give it a fair chance at some point.

The Expanse? I got a bit further! I watched the first four episodes of the first series, then gave up. The Mrs gave up half way through the third episode.

I might try again at some point !