Watchable telly

dog

27 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Watched the first episode. @Tamworthramyou are correct to cite Gomorrah.  Definitely same ballpark.

Hasn't initially gripped me in the same way, actors aren't so mesmerising, the characters so fascinating or the soundtrack so perfect...but its similar...! Awful lot of threads to the storyline so far, so I hope the pay-off is a less intense ride with a more satisfying conclusion. 

Worth sticking with although it doesn’t hit the same heights as Gomorrah. Spadino quickly became my favourite.

Just finished watching a programme I came across on netflix called bloodline.  Really enjoyed the first 2 and a half seasons .  The final two episodes left me rather confused which was a shame and a lot unanswered. Think it might be one of those that was due another season but got wrapped up in a very un-neat bow with a quick cancellation.  Annoying.

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Just finished watching a programme I came across on netflix called bloodline.  Really enjoyed the first 2 and a half seasons .  The final two episodes left me rather confused which was a shame and a lot unanswered. Think it might be one of those that was due another season but got wrapped up in a very un-neat bow with a quick cancellation.  Annoying.

Yeah, I was totally gripped by the first series in particular. Then it gradually went downhill. Shame because the acting was great and it built tension.

I’ve just seen the Christmas Day line up for the BBC and ITV, and I can categorically state there is no watchable telly. 

Question to folk, Mrs Browns Boys, does anybody actually watch or like this? I don’t know one person who finds this in the slightest bit funny. (If I was clever enough to do a poll I would) 

2 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I’ve just seen the Christmas Day line up for the BBC and ITV, and I can categorically state there is no watchable telly. 

Question to folk, Mrs Browns Boys, does anybody actually watch or like this? I don’t know one person who finds this in the slightest bit funny. (If I was clever enough to do a poll I would) 

The early ones were ok, its just run its course (has been for a while really). The Film was total garbage.

I'll probably watch it on catchup at some point in the hope it might be funny, but knowing in reality it will be total rubbish.

2 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

The early ones were ok, its just run its course (has been for a while really). The Film was total garbage.

I'll probably watch it on catchup at some point in the hope it might be funny, but knowing in reality it will be total rubbish.

They made a film? My good god ?

4 hours ago, Stagtime said:

Just finished the first 5 episodes of The Queens Gambit. Not bad, can see why it is one of Netflix’s biggest rating mini series.

The clue, for me, is in the last two words - the concept of a mini-series appeals. So many series either run out of steam, try to squeeze the lemon way too much or get pulled mid-storyline because ratings aren't what they need to be. Short and punchy works for me every time.

49 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

As long as the 3 'B's are available over Christmas, I will be happy....Beer, Bond and Bournville.

Edited by TimRam

37 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

The clue, for me, is in the last two words - the concept of a mini-series appeals. So many series either run out of steam, try to squeeze the lemon way too much or get pulled mid-storyline because ratings aren't what they need to be. Short and punchy works for me every time.

There are few series that remain of a high quality throughout, or get even better.

The Wire is the obvious example. For more recent ones, I think Handmaid's Tale is as good and as gripping as ever.

Even series that I love still meander a bit at times.  Homeland has been fascinating...initially incredible, got a bit silly, then turned into something different and brilliant.

Will be interesting what they do with Succession. First 2 series were wonderful, but risk it could turn dull over time. One final series of reckoning could work.

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Not me. I find the guy (Brendan O'Carroll) really creepy. 

I'm not sure there's any good modern comedy on the terrestrial channels. 

25 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I'm not sure there's any good modern comedy on the terrestrial channels. 

Couldn’t agree more, I can’t think of a good new comedy. Derry Girls is the only recent one for me 

17 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Couldn’t agree more, I can’t think of a good new comedy. Derry Girls is the only recent one for me 

I like Derry Girls , though still find it hard to believe the woman who plays Clare is 33.

1 minute ago, Wolfie said:

Loving Battlestar Galactica at the moment (BBC2 & iPlayer)

Even Mrs Wolfie, who's not ever normally into space ships exploding type stuff is gripped & even wanting to stay up late to binge-watch.

Properly good Sci-fi & drama. Kicking myself that I've left it as long as I did to watch this.

The newer one or the original ?

2 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

The newer one or the original ?

The new (well, 2005 onwards) one.

I have very fond memories of the original (until they found Earth and it went a bit crap, anyway) but I suspect it may not have aged well.

Lots of nods to the original in the newer version, which is nice, but the newer one is far more complex, darker, and with great characters - as you would expect, as it's no longer aimed at kids.