Watchable telly

dog

2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

The new (well, 2005 onwards) one.

I have very fond memories of the original (until they found Earth and it went a bit crap, anyway) but I suspect it may not have aged well.

Lots of nods to the original in the newer version, which is nice, but the newer one is far more complex, darker, and with great characters - as you would expect, as it's no longer aimed at kids.

I never watched it the newer one. Loved the original but was rubbish when they got to earth as you say and starbuck and apollo were replaced. 

Best episode of that season was the one with starbuck in it showing what happened to him.

37 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I never watched it the newer one. Loved the original but was rubbish when they got to earth as you say and starbuck and apollo were replaced. 

Best episode of that season was the one with starbuck in it showing what happened to him.

Definitely worth a watch, mate. Richard Hatch (old Apollo) is in the new one as well - as a shady character. He hardly seems to have aged as well.

I failed to mention that many of the Cylons have got a lot better looking. Introducing "number 6"

cylon-6.jpg.bf923a90ff3cd5b51b67fcea553159a9.jpg

48 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Definitely worth a watch, mate. Richard Hatch (old Apollo) is in the new one as well - as a shady character. He hardly seems to have aged as well.

I failed to mention that many of the Cylons have got a lot better looking. Introducing "number 6"

She is rather outstanding....

I normally love Sci-Fi but after several on here recommended it, I really struggled with the series. Watched the pilot and then 3 or 4 episodes but wasn't connecting with any of the characters (and ending up hoping they'd all die painfully). Perhaps I'll give it another go when I run out of other things to watch....

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Isnt starbuck a female in this one. Richard Hatch died a few years back now ?

2 hours ago, Sith Happens said:

Isnt starbuck a female in this one. Richard Hatch died a few years back now ?

Wow, I didn't know he was dead.

Yeah, Starbuck & Boomer are female in the new one. It sort of annoyed me a bit to begin with, in a "PC gone mad" way but it actually works really well.

Just now, Wolfie said:

Wow, I didn't know he was dead.

Yeah, Starbuck & Boomer are female in the new one. It sort of annoyed me a bit to begin with, in a "PC gone mad" way but it actually works really well.

Yeah, he was only 71. But like you i know when they published the stories of his death i thought how young he looked in photos that were taken not so long before he died.

They may have been mentioned previously but I have just finished The Young Pope and The New Pope.

A bit odd to see Jude Law playing (a very annoying) American Pope and John Malkovitch (slightly less annoying) English Pope.

Some entertaining moments and interesting storylines but I won’t be rushing back to watch them again.

Cometh the lockdown, cometh the insomnia. Bloody raging now so very thankful for this thread which steered me to The Queen's Gambit. As wonderful a show as can be imagined which tells the story of Beth Harmon, an orphan turned chess prodigy and her rise to the top through the otherwise male dominated world of competition chess. The completely entrancing Anya Taylor-Joy takes the lead role. 

It's a fictional piece but one so wonderfully crafted one might suppose it's based on fact, indeed it may be inspired to a small degree by the life of Vera Menchik, but that's another story. Definitely worth a watch. I love chess but literally no knowledge of the game is required and watching Anya Taylor-Joy is in itself its own reward. Marielle Heller, Thomas Brodie-Sangster and Moses Ingram also dazzle in a wonderfully well-casted series. Joyous! 

Mart Poom / 10

On 13/12/2020 at 05:52, 86 Hair Islands said:

Cometh the lockdown, cometh the insomnia. Bloody raging now so very thankful for this thread which steered me to The Queen's Gambit. As wonderful a show as can be imagined which tells the story of Beth Harmon, an orphan turned chess prodigy and her rise to the top through the otherwise male dominated world of competition chess. The completely entrancing Anya Taylor-Joy takes the lead role. 

It's a fictional piece but one so wonderfully crafted one might suppose it's based on fact, indeed it may be inspired to a small degree by the life of Vera Menchik, but that's another story. Definitely worth a watch. I love chess but literally no knowledge of the game is required and watching Anya Taylor-Joy is in itself its own reward. Marielle Heller, Thomas Brodie-Sangster and Moses Ingram also dazzle in a wonderfully well-casted series. Joyous! 

Mart Poom / 10

Shouldn't work, but somehow it just does. 

I have recommended it to a few people yet on paper it sounds dreadful, and even when describing it, it still sounds downright boring with less to appeal to your average middle aged man than Downton Abbey. 

But...its excellent. The female lead is amazing and the attention to detail and dialogue is impressive. I can't think of a more seemingly 'not really my cup of tea' programme that I have enjoyed half as much. 

I am on series 2 of Suburra. Still enjoying it but nowhere near as captivating as Gomorrah. 

Mixing it up with the Netflix documentary 'Room 2806 The Accusation' about the French President elect and an alleged sex attack. Usual mixture of intrigue and well made documentary with an engrossing if slightly manipulative way of holding information back and jumping about with time lines to create a longer series that constantly twists and peels back different levels of the onion. 

Edited by Chester40

11 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Not telly, but watch this and it might blow your mind, even if you’re @Carl Sagan.

I've always been in two minds about Coxy. He is a good communicator but a poor scientist. I talked with him a few times about writing Wonders because he was frustrated there weren't any scientists working on the show. I was prepared to sit through 2+ hours of Rogan for Elon, but I'm really not sure I'd do it for this. Maybe after Christmas! ?