Marcus Maddison - Joined Charlton

Cam the Ram

Maddison clearly has a lot of talent, scores and sets up goals, and has combined well with Marriott at Peterborough. To get a player like that on a free, aged only 26, would normally be an absolute coup.

It's hard to know how much faith to put in the reports that he has a bad attitude, but as posters above have said, Cocu, Rooney, Davies etc. should keep him in line. It's a low cost acquisition so happy to take the risk that he doesn't gel with the squad.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody know what kind of bad attitude we're actually talking about?  If it's typical winger stuff (a bit sulky, occasionally caught standing with his hands on his hips instead of tracking back) then you can work with it, especially for free.  If we're talking about disrupting the dressing room then don't touch him with a barge pole.

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

Anybody know what kind of bad attitude we're actually talking about?  If it's typical winger stuff (a bit sulky, occasionally caught standing with his hands on his hips instead of tracking back) then you can work with it, especially for free.  If we're talking about disrupting the dressing room then don't touch him with a barge pole.

"He was a good player but could be selfish at times," said Mills. And also, same Gary Mills later:  “He was a selfish lad when I first came to this football - he’s certainly not now. Marcus is a team player. And he’s a match winner.”

And what he has said about himself: "They said my attitude wasn't good enough. They always said I had the ability, but they were always worried about my mental state," he recalls. "I'll admit it myself. I didn't really work that hard. I thought I had the right to be there. "Growing up I was told I was always going to make it: 'You're one of the best players, you're going to make it'. I felt I deserved to make it, like I didn't have to work hard. But you do have to work hard. "I learned from my mistakes. I'm a lot different now."

There was certainly a pattern in the texts and interviews what can be found of him: He is excellent but hasn't fulfilled his potential, most likely because he's had attitude problem towards training.

2 hours ago, Big Trav said:

I wouldn’t mind him. Although his attitude is shocking and his wage demands were crazy. He wanted 20k a week in January and I can’t see it really dropping much. Darragh macanthony did a whole YouTube video on how shocking his behaviour was in the end. Think it’s his deadline day video. Worth a watch and I think he’s a good chairman so I’d believe him. Don’t doubt he has quality but he used to miss training if it was raining at Peterborough. Not sure he’s the type of player we want. His ability is certainly of championship standered but his attitude drags him down a lot.  

Is that more to do with Peterborough not getting a fee for the player and a few sour grapes from their Chairman ??‍♂️ Possibly a mix of ill feeling from both parties at the end of MMs employment ??‍♂️
There’s always more to these things than just one persons perspective. 

I can understand that one or two on here are concerned about the lad's attitude, that's fair enough, but I think that he has talent, he would link up well with Jack Marriott, he's on a free and with Cocu's man management skills he could be sorted out if indeed he needs sorting.  Along with that, I don't think that a certain Wayne Rooney would put up with any attitude from any cheeky kid.  Give him a chance I say!

Archived