Marcus Maddison - Joined Charlton

Cam the Ram

9 minutes ago, TomG said:

I can understand that one or two on here are concerned about the lad's attitude, that's fair enough, but I think that he has talent, he would link up well with Jack Marriott, he's on a free and with Cocu's man management skills he could be sorted out if indeed he needs sorting.  Along with that, I don't think that a certain Wayne Rooney would put up with any attitude from any cheeky kid.  Give him a chance I say!

He's no kid - at 26 you would have thought he'd have matured by now. Cocu has enough on his plate without having to babysit grown men - after all, it hasn't improved the behaviour of Mason Bennett.

If the guy was 18-20 fair enough but he isn't. Given the effect of Covid-19 on the transfer market and assuming we have a bit of cash to spend then there's almost certainly better options out there which Cocu will be well aware of.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

As much as there is quite a lot about his attitude, as other have said, if he has grown up, realised there arent an abundance of clubs after him, he may have calmed down a bit.

Let's not forget, Rooney is our captain, step out of line and he would be straight on his  back.

If signing him on a free enables us to go and get a good striker for a fee then I'm all for it.

The attitude thing is an interesting point.

This seems to have come from...where? What players/managers have called him out for his attitude?

Or is it actually that football fans have looked at the way he plays, he way he looks on the pitch, background, his appearance, and made an assumption that he's one of those people?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know the guy personally, so I'm not in a position to be able to judge him on his attitude of work ethic. Others shouldn't either, in my opinion!

What concerns me is that his stats show him to be very prolific yet there is always so little interest in him from bigger clubs.

This tells me his attitude is intolerable and outweighs the stats.

However, people can change. The player himself says he has made mistakes. It’s how a player reacts when the chips are down that counts. Is he a big personality or does he throw his toys out of the pram?

43 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

He's no kid - at 26 you would have thought he'd have matured by now. Cocu has enough on his plate without having to babysit grown men - after all, it hasn't improved the behaviour of Mason Bennett.

If the guy was 18-20 fair enough but he isn't. Given the effect of Covid-19 on the transfer market and assuming we have a bit of cash to spend then there's almost certainly better options out there which Cocu will be well aware of.

You miss the point, oh never mind.

I read their forum early last season and the general consensus was that his problems were as much off the pitch as much as on it, that if he wasn't a footballer he'd probably be one of the 'local personalities' you read about in the paper from time to time, but by that point they were largely a thing of the past.

Regardless of that, he's a League One standard winger who's benefited greatly from the way Peterborough set up their teams, everything they do is to make sure they have a striker to sell on (their forward players have scant responsibility outside of that) but he'll struggle to make a career for himself away from that particular set-up because his general play is pretty poor, he's very wasteful (despite the stats) and he'll be expected to be a lot more intelligent off the ball at a higher level.

The modern day Michael McIndoe, if he'd been at Peterborough not Doncaster.

He’ll be well aware of Marriotts runs/ movement even though they only played for a year together as Posh.

For example if Marriott is 153 yards from the green on the 12th, I would expect Maddison to be there with a 7 iron in his hand, before Jack asks for it.?

1 in 4 game goal record as well as multiple assists.

Worth the gamble if wages reasonable.

2 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

He’ll be well aware of Marriotts runs/ movement even though they only played for a year together as Posh.

For example if Marriott is 153 yards from the green on the 12th, I would expect Maddison to be there with a 7 iron in his hand, before Jack asks for it.?

1 in 4 game goal record as well as multiple assists.

Worth the gamble if wages reasonable.

A 7 iron 153 yards? With all the new technology about Jack needs some new golf clubs.

Every single season we get linked with this player and I just don’t understand why?
Yes,he played with Marriott,so what? Yes,he’s scored a few and created a few at a lower level, so what? 
His chairman has already outlined his bad attitude and I don’t exactly see a queue forming for his “services” 

Nothing to see here,move on please! 

I'm not going to pretend I know his personality. Football's darkest characters tend to go under the radar for long periods, so sometimes it's better than devil you know with some players in this mould. 

He went to a poor Hull side, barely played. He started three games and scored one goal. It's far from an open and shut case on his ability to play at this level. I guess if he can play, he would be a good addition on a free transfer as someone who can play either wide left or wide right. 

Martin, Waghorn, Lawrence, Bennett, Marriott, even Rooney.... All players that at some point either with Derby or elsewhere have been shunned for their attitude, Cocu has stuck with all of them.

Of course a player will go where the money is, do we think Rooney signed for Derby because we were a 'massive club'? Never going to fault a player for wanting the best deal he can get. 

24 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Martin, Waghorn, Lawrence, Bennett, Marriott, even Rooney.... All players that at some point either with Derby or elsewhere have been shunned for their attitude, Cocu has stuck with all of them.

Of course a player will go where the money is, do we think Rooney signed for Derby because we were a 'massive club'? Never going to fault a player for wanting the best deal he can get. 

Off topic slightly, whay was Waghorn's attitude? He's always seemed squeaky clean to me

5 hours ago, Coconut said:

I read their forum early last season and the general consensus was that his problems were as much off the pitch as much as on it, that if he wasn't a footballer he'd probably be one of the 'local personalities' you read about in the paper from time to time, but by that point they were largely a thing of the past.

Regardless of that, he's a League One standard winger who's benefited greatly from the way Peterborough set up their teams, everything they do is to make sure they have a striker to sell on (their forward players have scant responsibility outside of that) but he'll struggle to make a career for himself away from that particular set-up because his general play is pretty poor, he's very wasteful (despite the stats) and he'll be expected to be a lot more intelligent off the ball at a higher level.

The modern day Michael McIndoe, if he'd been at Peterborough not Doncaster.

Speaking of Michael McIndoe, he's still in hiding I believe. 

I suspect if there was a time to get him - this would be it.

He's 26, clearly had a lot of success at a lower level without having to work too hard for it (by his own admission) & has probably been frustrated by the lack of interest in him from better clubs since expressing a desire to leave Peterborough. He then gets a move to Hull & barely plays in a very poor team. There's an argument for thinking that may be the reality check he needs & that allied to his age, might see the penny drop.

As always, a lot depends on the money he's asking. If it reflects the fact he is totally unproven at this level & is no more than a 2 year contract, then its worth the punt. He does seem to have good quality of delivery (an area we are weak in) & I quite like a nasty streak in a player - channelled the right way. If it turns into a bidding war though, forget it - too many question marks over him.

Archived