Marcus Maddison - Joined Charlton

Cam the Ram

35 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Darragh MacAnthiny did a little bit of a deadline day discussion through Twitter earlier that I thought I'd watch to see what was said about Maddison. It was the same old same old, he's shocked no clubs will buy the top assister in the EFL at that price etc. but then he refers to Derby specifically when talking about players moving from League 1 to 'clubs like Derby County' who have only got 1 assist and 2 goals in their last 30 games. I wonder why he felt the need to directly mention us in regards to signing Holmes? Perhaps we had the chance at Maddison and opted for Holmes and that annoyed him, I don't know

Around about 5:12 in this video:

Might be putting 2 + 2 together and getting 5 here, but Mel Morris said earlier today we were set to sign someone for several million, but they weren't coming because they were more interested in the money. 

It seems perhaps that player was Maddison, going by everything we've heard about him, it would certainly make sense. 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Darragh MacAnthiny did a little bit of a deadline day discussion through Twitter earlier that I thought I'd watch to see what was said about Maddison. It was the same old same old, he's shocked no clubs will buy the top assister in the EFL at that price etc. but then he refers to Derby specifically when talking about players moving from League 1 to 'clubs like Derby County' who have only got 1 assist and 2 goals in their last 30 games. I wonder why he felt the need to directly mention us in regards to signing Holmes? Perhaps we had the chance at Maddison and opted for Holmes and that annoyed him, I don't know

Around about 5:12 in this video:

Everyone seems to like the guy but I think he's a bit of a tool. Some clubs, apparently we are now one of them, like to do business in a discreet and professional manner. This knobber constantly tweeting about every enquiry made does not help that process but is does put DMac in the public eye which is what he apparently craves. He's just having a paddy because Maddison got a knock back and he was expecting a few extra mill after shipping out Marriott. Let's see how many assists Maddison makes this season without Jack there to convert the chances.

PistoldPete2
5 hours ago, 86 points said:

Everyone seems to like the guy but I think he's a bit of a tool. Some clubs, apparently we are now one of them, like to do business in a discreet and professional manner. This knobber constantly tweeting about every enquiry made does not help that process but is does put DMac in the public eye which is what he apparently craves. He's just having a paddy because Maddison got a knock back and he was expecting a few extra mill after shipping out Marriott. Let's see how many assists Maddison makes this season without Jack there to convert the chances.

He can't be talking about Duane Holmes can he? Seven goals and 4 assists last season. 

PistoldPete2
3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Think you're assuming Darragh and 'facts' go hand in hand. 

Sorry I was wrong... 7 goals and 5 assists including the playoffs. 

9 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Might be putting 2 + 2 together and getting 5 here, but Mel Morris said earlier today we were set to sign someone for several million, but they weren't coming because they were more interested in the money. 

It seems perhaps that player was Maddison, going by everything we've heard about him, it would certainly make sense. 

Could it have been Joe Bryan from Bristol? He ended up having a medical and agreeing personal terms at Villa, was about to sign then got a call from Fulham and ran off just before and signed for them. Perhaps Frank had a chat with him and the talk was all money as opposed to football?

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Could it have been Joe Bryan from Bristol? He ended up having a medical and agreeing personal terms at Villa, was about to sign then got a call from Fulham and ran off just before and signed for them. Perhaps Frank had a chat with him and the talk was all money as opposed to football?

No, MacAnthony refers to a 'league 1 player with like 1 goal and two assists last season' (bit liberal with the actual numbers Darragh!) who has gone to Derby. It's got be Holmes as the only other L1 player we've taken is Marriott. Also, both players are attacking mids / wingers. I'd be 99% certain that @Cam the Ram nailed it and Maddison was due to come here and Darragh thought it was a done deal until the lad got a bit Billy Big-Bolarks, tried to play hard-ball and ended up blowing the deal over money. Maybe he was demanding the same sort of wedge as Marriott. If Cam's right then I can understand why Frank might have thought twice with humble and hardworking being two key characteristics of players he's sought to sign. 

14 minutes ago, 86 points said:

No, MacAnthony refers to a 'league 1 player with like 1 goal and two assists last season' (bit liberal with the actual numbers Darragh!) who has gone to Derby. It's got be Holmes as the only other L1 player we've taken is Marriott. Also, both players are attacking mids / wingers. I'd be 99% certain that @Cam the Ram nailed it and Maddison was due to come here and Darragh thought it was a done deal until the lad got a bit Billy Big-Bolarks, tried to play hard-ball and ended up blowing the deal over money. Maybe he was demanding the same sort of wedge as Marriott. If Cam's right then I can understand why Frank might have thought twice with humble and hardworking being two key characteristics of players he's sought to sign. 

It just seems off to me. A few weeks ago he was praising us and talking us up for promotion because of signing Marriott and Lampard coming across well, then now he's publicly criticising a signing we've made when asked about Maddison. 

As for the 2 goals and 1 assist stat he was on about, he said from 20 or 30 games and I think he meant to say his last 20 or 30 games. Having checked, Holmes got most of his goals and assists in the first half of the season and slowed down in the 2nd half

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

It just seems off to me. A few weeks ago he was praising us and talking us up for promotion because of signing Marriott and Lampard coming across well,

Because we'd just given him a bunch of money

then now he's publicly criticising a signing we've made when asked about Maddison. 

Because we didn't give him a bunch of money

? 

MacAnthony talking up Maddison over other players sounds like someone who wants to sell him, and urgently. This isn’t a chairman saying how happy he is to keep the top assist playmaker in the league, this is a chairman shopping his player.

• 2 years later...

Archived