Marcus Maddison - Joined Charlton

Cam the Ram

We’ve only got limited room for new signings. The priority would probably be a winger, and any signing has to be the very best available that we can get / afford. I would be disappointed if the outcome of the recruitment exercise  was Marcus Maddison. 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we signed him he would be an improvement on Bennett, Jozefzoon & Knight straight away on the wing.

Yes there is talk of an attitude problem but if Cocu is willing to give him a chance then so should the fans.

On a free so almost a risk free gamble, if he does well then he is someone we could potentially sell on for a profit. At a decent age and even if he ended up as a backup option id rather see him come off the bench than some others.

Also, with him being a free it could mean we're still able to bring in a couple more players on loan and permanent. 

1x free, 2x loans & 1x permanent wouldnt break the bank

52 minutes ago, RamNut said:

We’ve only got limited room for new signings. The priority would probably be a winger, and any signing has to be the very best available that we can get / afford. I would be disappointed if the outcome of the recruitment exercise  was Marcus Maddison. 

I say again.

As much as I wouldnt be against this signing, it would be a typical Derby thing to do for Rosenior to announce he has been watching over 1000 players in readiness for a different kind of transfer window and we end up signing a free transfer we have been linked with every window for the last 3 years.

30 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

If we signed him he would be an improvement on Bennett, Jozefzoon & Knight straight away on the wing.

Yes there is talk of an attitude problem but if Cocu is willing to give him a chance then so should the fans.

On a free so almost a risk free gamble, if he does well then he is someone we could potentially sell on for a profit. At a decent age and even if he ended up as a backup option id rather see him come off the bench than some others.

Also, with him being a free it could mean we're still able to bring in a couple more players on loan and permanent. 

1x free, 2x loans & 1x permanent wouldnt break the bank

Why would he be an improvement on those three? I know Bennett has moved on but knight did very well whilst not a natural out wide and jozefzoon could easily do well with some confidence yet Maddison has only ever had a very brief and hardly played spell in the championship with Hull and he has openly said that he is looking for a big payday transfer - it really is a case of buyer beware 

5 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

What’s the risk? What’s the farting around?

Read the Peterborough press on him - and what the fans think about his attitude, play acting etc.

We’ve done a great job if getting rid of troublemakers - why start recruiting them...

A reason why no one has picked  him up...

2 minutes ago, irobinson said:

Read the Peterborough press on him - and what the fans think about his attitude, play acting etc.

We’ve done a great job if getting rid of troublemakers - why start recruiting them...

A reason why no one has picked  him up...

With the greatest respect to fans' opinions, I read a lot of stuff on this very forum about Tom Ince's attitude which was largely sour grapes nonsense, so I'll leave it thanks.

Not sure what the play acting is about but since people have been idolising Chris Martin for yonks, it seems a bit churlish to focus on that.

The rest of the 'press' that I've read about him seems to come directly from the Peterborough owner,. The less said about him the better as far as I can tell.

Players acquire reputations for this and that but I really don't see how this bloke is a 'troublemaker'.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Why would he be an improvement on those three? I know Bennett has moved on but knight did very well whilst not a natural out wide and jozefzoon could easily do well with some confidence yet Maddison has only ever had a very brief and hardly played spell in the championship with Hull and he has openly said that he is looking for a big payday transfer - it really is a case of buyer beware 

Indeed, his stats at Peterborough were impressive but didn’t always reflect his general play. 

What always surprised me is that after being subject to so many transfer rumours- a desperate Hull ended up being the only club willing to take a chance on him. After an ok start it didn’t go particularly well there for him (granted Hull are a basketcase of a club) there.

There don’t seem to be many takers this time around either and he’s training with a non league team to stay fit. Tells a story in my opinion and he will only get a team when other options have been exhausted.

Its a buyers market outside the Prem now!

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I say again.

As much as I wouldnt be against this signing, it would be a typical Derby thing to do for Rosenior to announce he has been watching over 1000 players in readiness for a different kind of transfer window and we end up signing a free transfer we have been linked with every window for the last 3 years.

First off, we may not even be interested in him. Moreover, he was being touted for big money the year we bought Marriott, his buy-out clause was £2.5M last season and he's now available on a free, so in actual fact, if there was ever a perfect time to get him in, it's now.

Seems to me you're bashing club recruitment based on past performance. Maybe it would be sensible to give Cocu, Rosenior et al a bit of time to at least establish a track record in the transfer market before assuming they'll make the same mistakes as previous coaching teams.

With the greatest of respect to Mr Maddison I haven't read anywhere how excited we all would be if he signed and that he going to make us a better side. 

Plus if he was a player to be part of a side that is looking for a top six finish and on a free then other such teams as ourselves would be looking to snap him up and a bidding war would now be in full swing. 

I haven't seen enough of him to comment on his abilities but he didn't play much for a struggling Hull side and with pre season underway and the season itself looming he probably would be signed and being integrated by now. 

I applauded the club in January for not signing someone anyone just to say they had made signings and if the manager can't get the players he wants I'd rather that we don't sign someone anyone again. 

Would Maddison  makes us that much better than last season? 

Nothing against him as I don't know him but what I've read just doesn't look like the kind of player the manager wants. 

6 minutes ago, AmberRamber said:

With the greatest of respect to Mr Maddison I haven't read anywhere how excited we all would be if he signed and that he going to make us a better side. 

Plus if he was a player to be part of a side that is looking for a top six finish and on a free then other such teams as ourselves would be looking to snap him up and a bidding war would now be in full swing. 

I haven't seen enough of him to comment on his abilities but he didn't play much for a struggling Hull side and with pre season underway and the season itself looming he probably would be signed and being integrated by now. 

I applauded the club in January for not signing someone anyone just to say they had made signings and if the manager can't get the players he wants I'd rather that we don't sign someone anyone again. 

Nothing against him as I don't know him but what I've read just doesn't look like the kind of player the manager wants. 

He is on a free tramsfear mate

7 minutes ago, AmberRamber said:

Who's to say that several clubs haven't offered him something?

On 26/08/2020 at 22:27, enachops said:

Often seen in Peterborough drinking on his own in pubs and clubs. Lacks discipline off the field. Does his own tattoos. No mates

Love that. It's all very nice seeing pictures on instagram of Sibbo and Max Bird on holiday together with their mums drinking Appletize and playing Uno but you need a bit of an edge in the team too. Sign him up.

Archived