Marcus Maddison - Joined Charlton

Cam the Ram

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Lived in Posh for 4 years in the late 80s early 90s and spent a few saturday afternoons standing on the Glebe Road terrace. Kind of adopted them as my 2nd team of the time. Remember being surprised at how feisty the matches against Cambridge were!

Guess the old ground has changed a fair bit since then but retain a soft spot for Posh so thanks for taking the time to write, all the Posh fans! ?

Ah, the old Glebe Road open terrace.... happy memories!  Stood there myself many times with schoolmates in the 60s and 70s.  Never liked the view from the covered terraces behind the goals - unless it was raining, then we'd all walk round to stand behind whichever end Posh were attacking.   It's now a smart two-tier stand (my seat is in the upper; great view)

Btw, traditionally Northampton Town were the big 'derby;' game. That stems from the fact that Peterborough used to be in Northamptonshire.  In fact Northants CCC used to play several of their matches here in the old days.   We're now in Cambridgeshire, and Camb United have become the big rival in the eyes of younger fans.   

9 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Not sure whether you really dislike MM or you are just trying to put Derby off buying him

haha.., trust me, I'm desperately hoping he goes!  But preferably not to Derby County.  If it does happen I will be keeping an eye on this forum throughout the season. 

Just don't say I didn't tell you ?   

6 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Chances created is a way better stat to check.

Chances created is even worse!

If the failure of the assist stat is that it lacks lacks context then the chances created stat just amplifies that failure to a larger degree.

It literally just means that you passed it to someone who had a shot. At least if you gain an assist implies that you gave the player the ball in an area where they stood a chance of scoring, even if it isn't always the case that your pass is the reason they scored.

You'd get a chance created added to your tally for passing it back to a midfielder in your own half who sees the keeper off his line and tries a 60 yard lob. Utterly worthless.

7 minutes ago, Coconut said:

If the failure of the assist stat is that it lacks lacks context then the chances created stat just amplifies that failure to a larger degree.

It literally just means that you passed it to someone who had a shot. At least if you gain an assist implies that you gave the player the ball in an area where they stood a chance of scoring, even if it isn't always the case that your pass is the reason they scored.

You'd get a chance created added to your tally for passing it back to a midfielder in your own half who sees the keeper off his line and tries a 60 yard lob. Utterly worthless.

That surely ain't chance created?! At least it shouldn't.

What I mean with a chance is real goal scoring opportunity.

Just now, Dimmu said:

That surely ain't chance created?! At least it shouldn't.

What I mean with a chance is real goal scoring opportunity.

http://www.squawka.com/en/football-stats-definitions

Chance created – A pass that leads to a shot on goal.

Keypass – A pass that leads to a shot on goal that is not converted.

Assist – A pass that leads directly to a goal.

Sadly not to do with real goalscoring opportunities, no.

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Not so worried about so called attitude, just not sure he is an improvement on what we already have...

He would definately be mardy if not played much. This could lead him to cause unrest within the team

53 minutes ago, Coconut said:

I agree - To an extent - But their are outliers in every category

Chances are - Players with higher assists, chances created and key passes are the players making more goals - Yes, you have to take them with a pinch of salt BUT they are still very good indicators when making comparisons between players of specific positions/roles

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Yes, you have to take them with a pinch of salt BUT they are still very good indicators when making comparisons between players of specific positions/roles

I'm not sure than I agree with that. I'd argue that they're not necessarily a good indicator of anything. 

I prefer to rely on what my own eyes are telling me.  But, fair enough, most Rams fans won't have seen much, or even anything, of MM.  At best it'll be just a few short video clips, and they're inevitably going to some best bits.  Then throw those spurious stats into the mix.  The question is: are they (the clips & the stats) truly representative or a good indication of what you'd be getting?  Leaving aside natural optimism and wishful thinking, the answer, particularly in MM's case, is a definite "NO!" 

Sorry if I'm banging on about this Marcus Maddison issue too much.  Just wanted to give you DCFC forumites a head-up. 

And on a more positive note - Jack Marriott is a totally different kettle of fish ? 

11 minutes ago, POSH STH said:

I'm not sure than I agree with that. I'd argue that they're not necessarily a good indicator of anything. 

I prefer to rely on what my own eyes are telling me. 

You're new here but we have this debate on a rolling basis around the forum - Some of us think stats can be useful - Others think they're a waste of time

The thing I always maintain is they're a level playing field and unbiased - You might debate the usefulness of a pass but if it is played to the goalscorer it is definitely an assist (as defined)

Personal opinion always tends to get in the way of a proper analysis when it comes to 'relying on the eyes' in my opinion - There are certain things you remember more vividly, there are things player do which you might not pick up from where you sit, there are elements of the game we don't always know about as fans and whilst we're ball-watching we don't notice the other elements of a guys play

16 minutes ago, POSH STH said:

But, fair enough, most Rams fans won't have seen much, or even anything, of MM. 

I'm in this ball-park - He's not someone I remember having seen or someone I've even looked up the stats or video coverage of

But at the moment I trust the signings Lampard has made and if we did sign him I'm sure it would be for a reason ?

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

You're new here but we have this debate on a rolling basis around the forum - Some of us think stats can be useful - Others think they're a waste of time

The thing I always maintain is they're a level playing field and unbiased - You might debate the usefulness of a pass but if it is played to the goalscorer it is definitely an assist (as defined)

Personal opinion always tends to get in the way of a proper analysis when it comes to 'relying on the eyes' in my opinion - There are certain things you remember more vividly, there are things player do which you might not pick up from where you sit, there are elements of the game we don't always know about as fans and whilst we're ball-watching we don't notice the other elements of a guys play

I'm in this ball-park - He's not someone I remember having seen or someone I've even looked up the stats or video coverage of

But at the moment I trust the signings Lampard has made and if we did sign him I'm sure it would be for a reason ?

I guess it's the same with all clubs' fans.  Some think these stats are useful, some don't think they're worth the paper they're written on.

I agree that if a player makes a pass to the scorer then it's always credited as an "assist".  But it won't always mean that the passer has genuinely "created" or "made" the goal though.  That's the interpretation some people put on it.  Like I've mentioned previously, and like you hint at (re. the "as defined" bit) it all depends on how exactly we're defining it.  And they may well be unbiased in terms of the organisation compiling them.  But that doesn't alter the central point I've been making.  My contention all along has been that MM doesn't actually create/make as many goals as his stats would have you believe. 

You'll just have to trust me on that - or you could check out the online highlights of the 17 games where assists got chalked up to him.  About 7 of them were merely corners or long free-kicks he knocked into the box.  Another one was a tame free-kick that the keeper fumbled straight to a Posh player to slot in.  Some people might chose to call them "assists" if they like - but some of the stuff I've seen online about MM is way off the mark.  It's little more than wishful thinking based on the hype instigated by Posh and his agent. He genuinely 'created' (i.e. with a good pass) about 12-14 goals last season, not 23.   But a lie oft-repeated is still a lie.  Problem is, if it's repeated often enough it tends to become accepted gospel.  It's ludicrous the way MacAnthony loves to slip in names like DeBruyne (and even Messi!!) when he's talking about MM - all based on those spurious assist stats.       

But let's not allow this debate about the merits or otherwise of stats to take over.  It isn't the only point which I was keen to give this forum a heads-up about.  It's also about MM's contribution  - or lack thereof - to the overall team play; he's a passenger when the opposition has possession.  And about his weakness when it comes to any sort of physical challenge.  And about his diving/squealing, which is an embarrassment. 

You're right when you say us fans are not necessarily the best judges, either because of the view from their seat and/or because they tend to follow the ball.  Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to claim that I'm some big expert.  But I do have an excellent view of the whole game from my regular seat, and my opinion of MM isn't just based on what my own eyes tell me.  It also reflects what my pal (who used to do scouting reports) has told me.  So make of it what you will.     

Anyway, latest talk down here is that West Brom are out, Leeds have signed a winger from Man City so they're probably out... and Brentford have suddenly come into the frame.   I can only repeat that I hope Frank Lamps decides to pass.  

Cheers. 

7 minutes ago, POSH STH said:

You'll just have to trust me on that - or you could check out the online highlights of the 17 games where assists got chalked up to him.  About 7 of them were merely corners or long free-kicks he knocked into the box.  Another one was a tame free-kick that the keeper fumbled straight to a Posh player to slot in.  Some people might chose to call them "assists" if they like - but some of the stuff I've seen online about MM is way off the mark.  It's little more than wishful thinking based on the hype instigated by Posh and his agent. He genuinely 'created' (i.e. with a good pass) about a dozen goals last season - not 23.   

We had a guy a few years back called Ben Davies - As a footballer we had some much more exciting players - He could barely beat a man, wasn't fast, wasn't tall, wasn't even that great at tackling when tracking back - Looked very much out of his depth at Championship level when he arrived

But - Had a wicked right foot on him - Some of the most accurate crossing and set pieces I've seen for Derby in years - And he racked up the assists because of it

Sometimes a player just is one-dimensional - There are countless examples of forwards who "just score goals" - 7 assists from set-pieces is decent - And created a dozen goals with a good pass across the season can be the difference between promotion and not - So even if he's just a one-dimensional player he'd be worth having around

19 minutes ago, POSH STH said:

It's ludicrous the way MacAnthony loves to slip in names like DeBruyne (and even Messi!!) when he's talking about MM - all based on those spurious assist stats.       

And we all know how amusing your chairman can be at times ? Think he's one of the great characters of the EFL and have always quite liked him from the outside - But he doesn't half talk nonsense at times - A little too proud of his own social media presence

3 hours ago, POSH STH said:

?

Doubt if he's into GILFs!!!   

But it was a good one and I'll take it on the chin.    

I suppose it would be stretching your patience to suggest that's what your missus said to Maddison?

OK, sorry. Too far.

Darragh MacAnthiny did a little bit of a deadline day discussion through Twitter earlier that I thought I'd watch to see what was said about Maddison. It was the same old same old, he's shocked no clubs will buy the top assister in the EFL at that price etc. but then he refers to Derby specifically when talking about players moving from League 1 to 'clubs like Derby County' who have only got 1 assist and 2 goals in their last 30 games. I wonder why he felt the need to directly mention us in regards to signing Holmes? Perhaps we had the chance at Maddison and opted for Holmes and that annoyed him, I don't know

Around about 5:12 in this video:

Archived