Marcus Maddison - Joined Charlton

Cam the Ram

Firstly, I'll nail my colours to the mast: Posh STH here (in peace) but Derby County are my "second club". 

To explain that last bit, when I was a schoolboy and Posh were away, my uncle would often take me  to games in the old Division 1 including the Baseball Ground in the Clough/Mackay eras.  Always had a soft spot for them ever since.  

Anyway, about Marcus Maddison: I never miss a Posh home game, and go to about half of Posh's always.  Some of the stuff I've read online about MM is, at best, wishful thinking.  At worst it's pure fantasy.  For example: "Looks to be an incredible player".   Pffffttt....  if he was all that good a bigger club would've snapped him up from Posh ages ago.  MM is very much a marmite player; some Posh fans love him, some can't stomach him and can't wait for Posh to get rid.  I fall into the latter category - and so, by all accounts. does Steve Evans.  I just hope he ends up at Dirty Leeds or Reading and NOT at Derby.   

A lot of the MM nonsense is based of his oft-quoted stats:  scored 12 last season and 23 assists.  Sounds impressive, eh?  Yeah, on paper it might.  But 7 of those 12 goals were penalties (he also missed one).  In 53 appearances a return of just 5 goals in open play ain't all that great for a supposedly attacking midfielder-cum-winger.   As for those 23 goals he supposedly created, it all depends on how we're defining it.  Several of those assists got chalked up simply for taking a corner or long free-kick that ended up being knocked into the net.  Fair enough its handy to have a player who can knock a decent corner/free-kick into the box, but it's doesn't really make him an "incredible player".  Only about a dozen of the 23 assists were goals that he genuinely created with a neat pass or whatever. Basically those stats just don't stand up to close scrutiny.  

The biggest criticism of MM is that he plays as if he thinks any physical contact should be a free-kick to him.  He's the weakest player I've ever seen!  He shies away from 50/50 balls and any sort of challenge.  Apart from easy interceptions I've never seen him win the ball.  If he gets a hard challenge he squeals so loudly that you can hear it all over the ground, and he rolls around like a big tart.  It's just embarrassing! 

He's very one (left) footed and nearly every time he gets the ball he's looking to fire off a shot or play a match-winning long pass.  To be fair, MM is quite quick, but not lightning fast and not enough to leave a defender for dead.  You always get the feeling he's doing his best to avoid the defender touching him.  He definitely doesn't have the skill to actually beat a man - although he clearly THINKS he does!  And during the 45%-55% of any game when the opposition are in possession, he's a total passenger and Posh are really down to 9 outfield players against 10.  Not for no reason have Posh failed to get anywhere near promotion in the four seasons since he arrived.     

Then there's the questionable attitude.  Apparently he's not exactly popular around the dressing room, and he doesn't seem to have matured since Bobby Robson dumped him out of Newcastle United.  Even Barry Fry has cooled the big talk that used to come out of Posh about MM being worthy of the PL and likely to fetch multi-millions.  They used to hype him up as being in the same bracket as Delle Ali.  Pure blarney and b*lls*t!  They promised him a transfer this summer if Posh failed to get promoted, and they put a £2.5m 'release clause' into his contract.  Problem is, West Brom dropped out at the last minute (tbh I wasn't surprised) and no other clubs are banging on Posh's door willing to risk that sort of money for him.  I hope for your sake that Derby County don't!  

Anyway, good luck for the coming season. 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, POSH STH said:

Firstly, I'll nail my colours to the mast: Posh STH here (in peace) but Derby County are my "second club". 

To explain that last bit, when I was a schoolboy and Posh were away, my uncle would often take me  to games in the old Division 1 including the Baseball Ground in the Clough/Mackay eras.  Always had a soft spot for them ever since.  

Anyway, about Marcus Maddison: I never miss a Posh home game, and go to about half of Posh's always.  Some of the stuff I've read online about MM is, at best, wishful thinking.  At worst it's pure fantasy.  For example: "Looks to be an incredible player".   Pffffttt....  if he was all that good a bigger club would've snapped him up from Posh ages ago.  MM is very much a marmite player; some Posh fans love him, some can't stomach him and can't wait for Posh to get rid.  I fall into the latter category - and so, by all accounts. does Steve Evans.  I just hope he ends up at Dirty Leeds or Reading and NOT at Derby.   

A lot of the MM nonsense is based of his oft-quoted stats:  scored 12 last season and 23 assists.  Sounds impressive, eh?  Yeah, on paper it might.  But 7 of those 12 goals were penalties (he also missed one).  In 53 appearances a return of just 5 goals in open play ain't all that great for a supposedly attacking midfielder-cum-winger.   As for those 23 goals he supposedly created, it all depends on how we're defining it.  Several of those assists got chalked up simply for taking a corner or long free-kick that ended up being knocked into the net.  Fair enough its handy to have a player who can knock a decent corner/free-kick into the box, but it's doesn't really make him an "incredible player".  Only about a dozen of the 23 assists were goals that he genuinely created with a neat pass or whatever. Basically those stats just don't stand up to close scrutiny.  

The biggest criticism of MM is that he plays as if he thinks any physical contact should be a free-kick to him.  He's the weakest player I've ever seen!  He shies away from 50/50 balls and any sort of challenge.  Apart from easy interceptions I've never seen him win the ball.  If he gets a hard challenge he squeals so loudly that you can hear it all over the ground, and he rolls around like a big tart.  It's just embarrassing! 

He's very one (left) footed and nearly every time he gets the ball he's looking to fire off a shot or play a match-winning long pass.  To be fair, MM is quite quick, but not lightning fast and not enough to leave a defender for dead.  You always get the feeling he's doing his best to avoid the defender touching him.  He definitely doesn't have the skill to actually beat a man - although he clearly THINKS he does!  And during the 45%-55% of any game when the opposition are in possession, he's a total passenger and Posh are really down to 9 outfield players against 10.  Not for no reason have Posh failed to get anywhere near promotion in the four seasons since he arrived.     

Then there's the questionable attitude.  Apparently he's not exactly popular around the dressing room, and he doesn't seem to have matured since Bobby Robson dumped him out of Newcastle United.  Even Barry Fry has cooled the big talk that used to come out of Posh about MM being worthy of the PL and likely to fetch multi-millions.  They used to hype him up as being in the same bracket as Delle Ali.  Pure blarney and b*lls*t!  They promised him a transfer this summer if Posh failed to get promoted, and they put a £2.5m 'release clause' into his contract.  Problem is, West Brom dropped out at the last minute (tbh I wasn't surprised) and no other clubs are banging on Posh's door willing to risk that sort of money for him.  I hope for your sake that Derby County don't!  

Sounds like a good signing then ?

Big time Charlie with a poor attitude and generally poor all round play. Thinks he’s better than he is.

Fantastic set piece delivery. 

Thats my mate’s verdict on him. My mate who’s been a championship club scout for 5 years... this isn’t my opinion, I don’t have one. I just figured I’d let you know what I’d been told. Also Darragh wouldn’t exactly come out and say he’s got a poor attitude when he’s trying to flog him...

The Posh guy above reinforces everything l had heard from another fan of theirs. Too many on here get so carried away by a few FM18 stats and a 5 minute YouTube montage, and think they know everything there is to know about player recruitment.  Probably the same ones currently slagging off Nakhi Wells because he hasn’t done anything in the last 12 months.

10 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

The Posh guy above reinforces everything l had heard from another fan of theirs. Too many on here get so carried away by a few FM18 stats and a 5 minute YouTube montage, and think they know everything there is to know about player recruitment.  Probably the same ones currently slagging off Nakhi Wells because he hasn’t done anything in the last 12 months.

Haven't we got enough of our own players that haven't done anything in 12 month?

1 hour ago, POSH STH said:

Great analysis and good luck to your lot as well!

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

He sounds like further proof the assist stat is rubbish for anyone who still thinks it is proof of creativity

Assists stat has always been baloney. Camara got one for Bents screamer at the Baggies in the Cup FFS. Passed it a foot 30 yds out cos he did'nt know what else to do.

You could be the best CAM / winger etc in the world and set up 50 chances in a season but if you're passing to Conor Doyle you'll have an assist stat of..... well you do the math

9 hours ago, Charlie Dram said:

Assists stat has always been baloney. Camara got one for Bents screamer at the Baggies in the Cup FFS. Passed it a foot 30 yds out cos he did'nt know what else to do.

You could be the best CAM / winger etc in the world and set up 50 chances in a season but if you're passing to Conor Doyle you'll have an assist stat of..... well you do the math

s

5 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Fully agreed. Chances created is a way better stat to check.

That's exactly the point I was getting at about Marcus Maddison.  Only half of his 23 "assists" last season would go into the list of goals genuinely created.  The evidence is there online if anybody can be bothered to trawl through the highlights of the 17 games where he got an assist or assists.       

6 minutes ago, POSH STH said:

That's exactly the point I was getting at about Marcus Maddison.  Only half of his 23 "assists" last season would go into the list of goals genuinely created.  The evidence is there online if anybody can be bothered to trawl through the highlights of the 17 games where he got an assist or assists.       

Lived in Posh for 4 years in the late 80s early 90s and spent a few saturday afternoons standing on the Glebe Road terrace. Kind of adopted them as my 2nd team of the time. Remember being surprised at how feisty the matches against Cambridge were!

Guess the old ground has changed a fair bit since then but retain a soft spot for Posh so thanks for taking the time to write, all the Posh fans! ?

17 hours ago, POSH STH said:

In 53 appearances a return of just 5 goals in open play ain't all that great for a supposedly attacking midfielder-cum-winger. 

I'd imagine defenders tend to stick to him like glue.

16 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Big time Charlie with a poor attitude and generally poor all round play. Thinks he’s better than he is.

Fantastic set piece delivery. 

Thats my mate’s verdict on him. My mate who’s been a championship club scout for 5 years... this isn’t my opinion, I don’t have one. I just figured I’d let you know what I’d been told. Also Darragh wouldn’t exactly come out and say he’s got a poor attitude when he’s trying to flog him...

Your mate is 100% correct.  I also know somebody who used to do scouting reports for several clubs bigger than Posh.  When I asked him "What about Maddison then?" he just pulled a face and said "Nah!".   He went on to give me a bit of his professional insight, most of it confirmed my own views, and it pretty much damned MM.  I wasn't surprised, but I played devil's advocate and said "But MacAnthony reckons he'll end up in the Prem, and will go for big millions".  He just rolled his eyes and said "Of course he says that..... he said the same thing about Jermaine Anderson; said he was as good as Delle Ali at EmmKayDons, and called him the next Yaya Toure.  The man made his money selling holiday homes, so whaddya expect?!" 

Btw, Posh's owner is far from the football genius he portrays himself as. He's a master at spouting blarney though!   And he isn't as universally popular in Posh land as you might have been led into thinking. 

For what it's worth, I don't think Derby will sign MM.  Surely Frank Lamps will have done his homework.  Anyway, I think you can all relax because the tune coming out of Posh has changed slightly in the past few days.  Reading between the lines they're far from sure a transfer is going to happen before the deadline. 

Archived