Johnny Russell - Signed for Sporting Kansas City

DCFC4LIFE
Message added by Day

Johnny Russell in the MLS updates > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/28512-johnny-russell-in-the-mls/

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I'd assume he'd have Championship and Scottish clubs queuing up for him, so he probably just wants to move to America for family reasons

You'd only go to America for two reasons imo, either wages or a for the change of scene. With him taking a pay cut it suggests he never wanted to stay on this side of the pond, explained why there was no interest in him from English clubs reported 

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Wait - He's taking a PAY CUT to leave too?

There has to be something strange going on here doesn't there? He's taking a pay cut, leaving a team in 2nd place, potential Premier League football, he's pretty much second choice behind Lawrence for a spot in the side

The only potential I can think is maybe if he goes to the MLS it'll make him look better and give him a better shot at a place in the Scotland squad?

The MLS is going to grow a lot over the next 10 years - look at the scale of teams like Atlanta United FC and the growing passion for the clubs over there.

If he gets himself established and plays 5+ years in the MLS, he would have a good chance of landing himself a job for life within the league.

He seems like he's got his head screwed on. He knows that he isn't good enough for the Prem and if we go up he will most likely be out the door. The move makes sense from that point of view.

Best of luck to him. If we don't replace him then it's on the club.

7 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I'd assume he'd have Championship and Scottish clubs queuing up for him, so he probably just wants to move to America for family reasons

Yeh I tend to buy the family reasons thing - It would potentially be a nicer way of life for them and a chance for something different - Assume his kids (dunno if he has them) are young enough that it wouldn't mess up their education - It's just always an odd one to see a footballer show such a lack of professional ambition - Surely everyone wants to play in the Premier League?!?! It's the same as the guys who go to Man City and Chelsea for silly wages and sit in the reserves - I don't get that attitude!

3 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

The MLS is going to grow a lot over the next 10 years - look at the scale of teams like Atlanta United FC and the growing passion for the clubs over there.

If he gets himself established and plays 5+ years in the MLS, he would have a good chance of landing himself a job for life within the league.

He seems like he's got his head screwed on. He knows that he isn't good enough for the Prem and if we go up he will most likely be out the door. The move makes sense from that point of view.

Best of luck to him. If we don't replace him then it's on the club.

Fair - Although I'd say a potential year in the Premier League would get him a better salary and higher profile when he went over there? Flip side he'd have to sacrifice another 2 years potentially and go over there older

Russell's been playing in the same team, at the same level for years, in the English midlands - without really improving personally or collectively over that time. 

It's not so hard to believe he wanted to go.

He wants to go to the MLS, before their season starts, for a complete change of pace in footballing terms and massively upgrade his lifestyle both in terms of how far his money goes and the quality of city - so he was always going to go in January. He was probably pretty adamant about it too. The choice of MLS makes it irritating timing for us, that's all there is too it really.

Not upset with him for wanting to go, not upset with the club for letting him go.

He's just as misfire-y as Weimann imo, fans just like him more so give him more credit. I don't think it was a huge hit to our quality. We could've done with one winger better than all of our wingers before he left and that's still true. Not sure what options are out there though.

@cheron85 in response to your above post, I don't think he would play in the PL if he'd stayed and we got promoted tbh. I think he'd be a rarely seen squad player or be sold. He probably thinks similar.

1 hour ago, Cam the Ram said:

He can also sign on loan to any club in the uk next autumn possibly for a fixed period?

1 minute ago, cannable said:

Out of interest; when would he leave?

I seem to remember when Savage had an option to go to America it would have been in the March. 

I believe their window opens mid February so maybe then, but it wouldn't surprise me if the deal is announced today and he's allowed to spend the next couple of weeks sorting out his move over there before the deal is fully official

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

Out of interest; when would he leave?

I seem to remember when Savage had an option to go to America it would have been in the March. 

Possibly straight away. A number of MLS teams have already started their pre-season's. I think it's now down to how quickly his visa is processed!

3 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

You'd only go to America for two reasons imo, either wages or a for the change of scene. With him taking a pay cut it suggests he never wanted to stay on this side of the pond, explained why there was no interest in him from English clubs reported 

It is amazing to think that anyone is surprised at this move.....why wouldn't he go? I know I would....I did..!

Sad to see him go. Frustrating at times but I really enjoyed watching him. His work rate and passion gets to you, for any criticism he gets, you could never fault his effort.

And thus sees an end to one of my favourite DCFC photos from the 13/14 season. Just after Martin whipped that freekick into the top corner vs Bournemouth. Good times they were.

image.png.c0f0d337a8fea1b6d9e573d75394980b.png

TobyWanKenobi

Very likeable chap and good player. Been helping us bottle promotion for a few seasons. Sad that he wont be helping us do it again. :p

Probably the most frustrating Derby player of the last five years. 

For every winding run, there was a fluffed run straight into a defender. For every wonder goal, there were mad misses. For every pinpoint cross, there was shocking deliveries.

In honesty, Johnny never quite lived up to his perceived potential. But nonetheless, he was a great character, and will be missed.

Best of luck, Johnny!

Archived