Johnny Russell - Signed for Sporting Kansas City

DCFC4LIFE
Message added by Day

Johnny Russell in the MLS updates > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/28512-johnny-russell-in-the-mls/

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh I tend to buy the family reasons thing - It would potentially be a nicer way of life for them and a chance for something different - Assume his kids (dunno if he has them) are young enough that it wouldn't mess up their education - It's just always an odd one to see a footballer show such a lack of professional ambition - Surely everyone wants to play in the Premier League?!?! It's the same as the guys who go to Man City and Chelsea for silly wages and sit in the reserves - I don't get that attitude!

Fair - Although I'd say a potential year in the Premier League would get him a better salary and higher profile when he went over there? Flip side he'd have to sacrifice another 2 years potentially and go over there older

Family reasons? Is his wife American? 

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Probably the most frustrating Derby player of the last five years. 

For every winding run, there was a fluffed run straight into a defender. For every wonder goal, there were mad misses. For every pinpoint cross, there was shocking deliveries.

In honesty, Johnny never quite lived up to his perceived potential. But nonetheless, he was a great character, and will be missed.

Best of luck, Johnny!

Fairly accurate assessment of his time at PP

Just now, LazloW said:

Another one bites the dust.  Shame too. Liked him... but there is definitely better out there.  Very interested in hearing his motivation for going there.

Never gonna make it in the prem, but has the chance to make it as a star, playing first team football in a nice city. 

Good luck Johnny, you always gave 100 percent, and you always played with a smile on your face, so surprise that you have took a early retirement to go and play at a very poor level in the USA, but I suppose you will enjoy the life style, you will always have a place in most Rams fans hearts, thanks for the memory's , and your best goal for us was the goal against the red dogs, once a ram always a ram.

Archived