Johnny Russell - Signed for Sporting Kansas City

DCFC4LIFE
Message added by Day

Johnny Russell in the MLS updates > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/28512-johnny-russell-in-the-mls/

Been told the reasoning behind Johnny’s move. He’s 27 and has had a child recently. He’s planning on going to America for 3/4 years then coming back to the Uk once his child is old enough to start school. Also Anya is apparently the nicest guy but not the best football wise. He trained with the squad Sunday morning mainly due to lack of numbers.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

Been told the reasoning behind Johnny’s move. He’s 27 and has had a child recently. He’s planning on going to America for 3/4 years then coming back to the Uk once his child is old enough to start school. Also Anya is apparently the nicest guy but not the best football wise. He trained with the squad Sunday morning mainly due to lack of numbers.

Fair enough, 

i thought our squad was to large ⚽️

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Still think we need quality cover in central midfield......if both Ledley and George break down I don't think Hanson is the answer....

I think so too but at the same time, I think GR sees Johnson as a backup for midfield. Might actually see him as a starter for the wing too.

It’s a terrible time to lose one of our best players imo. He is one of the few players that genuinely scares opponents with his runs, coupled with his link up and defensive work it’s a huge loss. 

Got to trust GR I guess, he deserves that after selling Incey and Will and improving the team.

Good luck Johnny, gave us some fantastic moments, great goals and probably the best value for money signing ever!

14 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I think so too but at the same time, I think GR sees Johnson as a backup for midfield. Might actually see him as a starter for the wing too.

Bradders is not a central midfielder, has been poor when tried there of late, particularly the Reading game...

11 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

It’s a terrible time to lose one of our best players imo. He is one of the few players that genuinely scares opponents with his runs, coupled with his link up and defensive work it’s a huge loss. 

Got to trust GR I guess, he deserves that after selling Incey and Will and improving the team.

Good luck Johnny, gave us some fantastic moments, great goals and probably the best value for money signing ever!

I think it’s a big loss at this time too if not replaced by an upgrade , defensive work rate in a team that have been hard to beat is only part of it ,,, he is amongst our top scorers and assist provider too ( statos?), i also think him choosing to go to mls instead of staying in a very real promotion fight could have a bit of a deflating influence on the vibe of the squad ,fans and club if we don’t bring in a very good replacement ,, also injuries to wide players could be an issue if we don’t replace him

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Bradders is not a central midfielder, has been poor when tried there of late, particularly the Reading game...

He is, but not very good one IMO. :) Like you said, he is usually pretty poor there.

I'm fine with him being the fourth option. Or make it fifth, I'd rather play Baird there before BJ. The only problem is that he is needed as a first choice right back...

18 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Absolutely 

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

Better than Chris Martin on a free? I don't think so!

Wait - He's taking a PAY CUT to leave too?

There has to be something strange going on here doesn't there? He's taking a pay cut, leaving a team in 2nd place, potential Premier League football, he's pretty much second choice behind Lawrence for a spot in the side

The only potential I can think is maybe if he goes to the MLS it'll make him look better and give him a better shot at a place in the Scotland squad?

1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

Wait - He's taking a PAY CUT to leave too?

There has to be something strange going on here doesn't there? He's taking a pay cut, leaving a team in 2nd place, potential Premier League football, he's pretty much second choice behind Lawrence for a spot in the side

The only potential I can think is maybe if he goes to the MLS it'll make him look better and give him a better shot at a place in the Scotland squad?

I'd assume he'd have Championship and Scottish clubs queuing up for him, so he probably just wants to move to America for family reasons

Archived