Johnny Russell - Signed for Sporting Kansas City

DCFC4LIFE
Message added by Day

Johnny Russell in the MLS updates > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/28512-johnny-russell-in-the-mls/

4 minutes ago, lioncoeur said:

He doesn't have a designated player status.

With Sporting KC, Russell will not initially count as of three allowed designated players on the roster. The club will use targeted allocation money to buy down his salary, sources said. He could potentially reach designated player status next season.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article197177424.html#storylink=cpy

Someone else can decode that, but i guess it means he is still on the equivalent salary.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Someone else can decode that, but i guess it means he is still on the equivalent salary.

I'd say he's on approximately USD 300.000 salary a year.

"Atop the acquisition financial chart is winger Gerso Fernandes, who is playing on a salary of $591,258 in guaranteed compensation. That’s enough to qualify him as one of three designated players on Sporting’s roster, joining midfielder Roger Espinoza ($850,000), who is the highest-paid player on the team, and defender Graham Zusi ($757,102). 

Captain Matt Besler ($758,250), striker Dom Dwyer ($668,750) and midfielder Benny Feilhaber ($600,000) also make more than the designated player budget charge ($480,625), which means Sporting KC is using allocation funds to buy down each of those salaries against the cap.

Newcomer Ilie Sanchez, a defensive midfielder whom coach Peter Vermes has lauded for his play this year, is earning $305,000."

12 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I wouldn't. 

If you read this article carefully, there are only three designated players in the squad.

He's not going to be the one of them this season.

Anyway, he's not going over there to play for peanuts.

It's quite possible he made some sort of more beneficial deal for himself.

3 minutes ago, lioncoeur said:

If you read this article carefully, there are only three designated players in the squad.

He's not going to be the one of them this season.

Anyway, he's not going over there to play for peanuts.

It's quite possible he made some sort of more beneficial deal for himself.

It says he won't initially be one of the designated players - who get $300-400,000 of salary paid by the league - because of the 'buy down' tactic. If benny feilhaber was on $600,000 then johnny must be on at least that.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

It says he won't initially be one of the designated players - who get $300-400,000 of salary paid by the league - because of the 'buy down' tactic. If benny feilhaber was on $600,000 then johnny must be on at least that.

It could be like you are saying.

What do I know, I am just guessing just like you. 

We'll read it in the April edition of Kansas City Star when they publish these information

20 minutes ago, SilentRam said:

I dreamt of this day for ages. Thanks for your service. Was so paranoid that Kansas would change their mind! He will be back in one of the bottom Championship clubs or League One teams by December of this year

I think many top Championship clubs would want him, us included as he was offered a new contract. I don't see him returning early unless for unforeseen family reasons. Johnny was always fully committed to Derby while he was here and IMO there are already signs that we are missing him.

Archived