Depression, anxiety, stress and other related issues

Mostyn6

11 minutes ago, Bearwood Ram said:

Citalopram has saved my life. The drugs do work. I've had mental health issues all my life but didn't confront them until things got to a point of almost no return. I have the occasional melt down when life gets too much but for me this has been a wonder drug. 

You are so right, Bearwood. Not all drugs work for all people, but once you've found one that works the results can be life changing. So glad that you are much better!! I've found that on days when I feel a tad anxious, I get a bottle of iced cold water from the freezer and carry it around with me, sipping as needed. I suspect I've talked myself into believing its restorative and calming powers, but it seems to work! ?

On 31/05/2021 at 20:05, rammieib said:

Anyone use or used Fluoxetine?

Doctor has prescribed it for me for some anxiety I have. Sadly I read too much about it before just taking it and it actually scared me and I haven't taken it.

I'm interested to know any first hand experience if you have taken it. Were there any side effects and did it help? 

The wife is currently on fluoxetine due to being incredibly anxious whilst pregnant with our son due to our daughter being so poorly (see new parents thread).

It has helped her massively, the only side effect being drowsiness so she takes it just before bed. 

she also has weekly face to face sessions where somebody comes to our house to talk her through her anxiety and that helps her massively too. 

luckily our son was born 3 weeks ago and he is absolutely fine so that’s helping her a bit too. 

I hope it’s working for you and if not don’t be scared to tell them it’s not, there’s no right answer and it’s trial and error until you find the ideal solution... all the best ??

Just wanted a place to post etc as I don't really have many people to rant to.

I started a new job (with the same company) on Thursday, today, I crashed a van. Not wrote it off just hit a bollard in a tight entry. I can't explain how much my anxiety has took over regarding this and the thoughts I have running through my head at this point in time. I've reported it, but couldn't admit to my collegues that I had done it, but I have to my manager. Seriously think I need to get to the Drs tomorrow for something to calm my nerves/thoughts running away with them selves. Seriously The stuff I'm considering (that means I don't have to face anyone on Tuesday)should not be running through anyone's head.

As I said I don't have many friends anymore due to deleting all social media years ago and this rant just helps me let go a bit. 

2 hours ago, Bearwood Ram said:

Citalopram has saved my life. The drugs do work. I've had mental health issues all my life but didn't confront them until things got to a point of almost no return. I have the occasional melt down when life gets too much but for me this has been a wonder drug. 

I read the first sentence and immediately wondered why I've never read any posts of this heroic poster Citalop Ram! 

1 hour ago, EraniosSocks said:

I started a new job (with the same company) on Thursday, today, I crashed a van. Not wrote it off just hit a bollard in a tight entry. I can't explain how much my anxiety has took over regarding this and the thoughts I have running through my head at this point in time. I've reported it, but couldn't admit to my collegues that I had done it, but I have to my manager. Seriously think I need to get to the Drs tomorrow for something to calm my nerves/thoughts running away with them selves. Seriously The stuff I'm considering (that means I don't have to face anyone on Tuesday)should not be running through anyone's head.

As I said I don't have many friends anymore due to deleting all social media years ago and this rant just helps me let go a bit. 

Am sure your boss will be understanding, stuff happens that's why you have insurance. As long as yourself or no one else were hurt that's the primary matter. 

I wouldn't think it's any of your colleagues business anyway, you've done the correct thing in reporting it to your line manager.

Hope your minds in a better place tomorrow and try to remember we're all human.

Mate, I can understand you being worried about having pranged the van, but these things happen. Don't let it overwhelm you it really isn't that big a deal. If you are feeling really anxious and more then you definitely ought to have a word with your doctor. If you only recently had the crash you're also probably feeling a bit shook up too, even little scrapes can get to your nerves.

Try and relax and don't dwell on it too much (at all if possible) and see how you feel in the morning. 

Well done for posting ?

mum sure they will be completely understanding if it’s part of your job to drive... they’ll have relative insurance etc and these things happen. 

as for the friends part you’ve got 100’s on here ? feel free to dm me anytime if you want a chat. ?

18 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

The wife is currently on fluoxetine due to being incredibly anxious whilst pregnant with our son due to our daughter being so poorly (see new parents thread).

It has helped her massively, the only side effect being drowsiness so she takes it just before bed. 

she also has weekly face to face sessions where somebody comes to our house to talk her through her anxiety and that helps her massively too. 

luckily our son was born 3 weeks ago and he is absolutely fine so that’s helping her a bit too. 

I hope it’s working for you and if not don’t be scared to tell them it’s not, there’s no right answer and it’s trial and error until you find the ideal solution... all the best ??

Thanks buddy - I haven't taken it yet, trying to work through the anxiety in other ways including counselling. I don't really think that's been for me though - I'm not scared to talk about the issue or opening up. I've probably mentally felt better (not sure if it was the councilling or just a bit of everything) but my symptoms are still there.

Taking each day as it comes - My issues are mild compared to others, but its bloody frustrating. Every time I feel anxious I need to go to the toilet!

The drug remains an option for me if other things don't work though. I actually don't mind the feeling anxious, its the symptom of needing the loo which bothers me!

Edited by rammieib

8 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Thanks buddy - I haven't taken it yet, trying to work through the anxiety in other ways including counselling. I don't really think that's been for me though - I'm not scared to talk about the issue or opening up. I've probably mentally felt better (not sure if it was the councilling or just a bit of everything) but my symptoms are still there.

Taking each day as it comes - My issues are mild compared to others, but its bloody frustrating. Every time I feel anxious I need to go to the toilet!

The drug remains an option for me if other things don't work though. I actually don't mind the feeling anxious, its the symptom of needing the loo which bothers me!

You really shouldn’t be so hesitant to take the drug. What is holding you back? It might take a little while to feel the benefits and a tweak or two of the dosage or type might perhaps be necessary, but taken in a controlled way with the the other things you are doing will be of great benefit to you.  If you had heart or kidney problems, etc., I am sure you would taking the pills your doctor recommended.  The brain is just an organ too - it sometimes just s needs a bit of help too to make sure it is functioning to the best of its abilities.

6 hours ago, i-Ram said:

You really shouldn’t be so hesitant to take the drug. What is holding you back? It might take a little while to feel the benefits and a tweak or two of the dosage or type might perhaps be necessary, but taken in a controlled way with the the other things you are doing will be of great benefit to you.  If you had heart or kidney problems, etc., I am sure you would taking the pills your doctor recommended.  The brain is just an organ too - it sometimes just s needs a bit of help too to make sure it is functioning to the best of its abilities.

I made the stupid mistake of reading the side effects instead of just taking the drug and that subsequently put me off it. I know I should take it, if only to see if it helps or not. 

I think one of the biggest things the last six months have done is really shown how easily people can become affected by literally anything. I can really appreciate it a lot more now what people can go through and the symptoms from mental health/anxiety.

A good example for me, I can't go on a run in the morning at the moment. When I leave the house, my anxiety kicks in, I think its because I'm about to run for an hour and there may be no facility to use on the run, and my bodys automatic trigger (symptom) is the need to go to the loo, even if I went before the run! Its so annoying.

A friend has suggested trying a CBT therapist as well which may well help.

5 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I made the stupid mistake of reading the side effects instead of just taking the drug and that subsequently put me off it. I know I should take it, if only to see if it helps or not. 

I think one of the biggest things the last six months have done is really shown how easily people can become affected by literally anything. I can really appreciate it a lot more now what people can go through and the symptoms from mental health/anxiety.

A good example for me, I can't go on a run in the morning at the moment. When I leave the house, my anxiety kicks in, I think its because I'm about to run for an hour and there may be no facility to use on the run, and my bodys automatic trigger (symptom) is the need to go to the loo, even if I went before the run! Its so annoying.

CBT I think would help too. Planning a morning run route where you know there are facilities every 15 minutes might be a good idea too ?. Or alternatively go early enough, or remote enough, where it might not matter where/when you go ? I am sorry to read that you are experiencing such inhibiting anxiety. I hope things get better for you soon, but please, don’t have any hang up taking prescribed drugs. I am sure, based on my personal experiences, that they can help you get back on an even keel.

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

CBT I think would help too. Planning a morning run route where you know there are facilities every 15 minutes might be a good idea too ?. Or alternatively go early enough, or remote enough, where it might not matter where/when you go ? I am sorry to read that you are experiencing such inhibiting anxiety. I hope things get better for you soon, but please, don’t have any hang up taking prescribed drugs. I am sure, based on my personal experiences, that they can help you get back on an even keel.

Thanks I-ram. I tried that plan but turned around before I left the village lol. Just do exercise in the evenings now. Mornings seem to be the real problem.

I've just been pointed towards this video via a regular podcast I listen to.

I wish I'd seen this when I was suffering with anxiety in my 30's. I helped "cure" myself by basically following what this video says - though I got there by myself and via trial and error, learning to ride out the panic attack instead of fighting it - and focussing on the feeling of relief afterwards. It definitely worked for me....

19 hours ago, rammieib said:

When I became depressed I was horrified at how little control my brain had over my body! My imagination ran wild and I really started to sweat the small, insignificant and perceived stuff. I become affected by anything which normally I might laugh off as small stuff. My heart raced, the adrenaline pumped, I felt sick with worry and I tried so hard to use my brain to reason my way through the crisis, but it just doesn't work that way. Anyone who has had no contact with mental illness has no idea what it is like and only those of us who have experienced it for ourselves can understand what sufferers are going through. CBT is excellent, especially in the case of trauma. Where depression is due to a chemical imbalance in the brain then tablets to correct that imbalance can help enormously. Sometimes these tablets have side effects but sometimes they only last for a while until your body adapts to them. (For me, it was yawning!) Side effects don't affect everyone and may be milder in some people. Don't think you're going to get everything listed!

Tablets were the answer for me, but be patient because they can take as long as 4 weeks to kick in. But when they do they can make such a difference if they are the right ones for you. If not go back to the doctor and keep going back until you feel better and I really hope that you feel better soon!

4 hours ago, Miggins said:

When I became depressed I was horrified at how little control my brain had over my body! My imagination ran wild and I really started to sweat the small, insignificant and perceived stuff. I become affected by anything which normally I might laugh off as small stuff. My heart raced, the adrenaline pumped, I felt sick with worry and I tried so hard to use my brain to reason my way through the crisis, but it just doesn't work that way. Anyone who has had no contact with mental illness has no idea what it is like and only those of us who have experienced it for ourselves can understand what sufferers are going through. CBT is excellent, especially in the case of trauma. Where depression is due to a chemical imbalance in the brain then tablets to correct that imbalance can help enormously. Sometimes these tablets have side effects but sometimes they only last for a while until your body adapts to them. (For me, it was yawning!) Side effects don't affect everyone and may be milder in some people. Don't think you're going to get everything listed!

Tablets were the answer for me, but be patient because they can take as long as 4 weeks to kick in. But when they do they can make such a difference if they are the right ones for you. If not go back to the doctor and keep going back until you feel better and I really hope that you feel better soon!

Thanks Miggins. That’s a really good post. 

On 31/05/2021 at 20:05, rammieib said:

Anyone use or used Fluoxetine?

Doctor has prescribed it for me for some anxiety I have. Sadly I read too much about it before just taking it and it actually scared me and I haven't taken it.

I'm interested to know any first hand experience if you have taken it. Were there any side effects and did it help? 

A colleague of mine says it has helped him, once he had a level in his system after 2 - 3 weeks. He didn't read the leaflet, just took them, on the basis that if you read the possible side effects for everything you take you would never take anything. His wife read it instead and he asked not to tell him, but she did anyway. As I think we've all realised here, talking about it does improve things.

I was just scrolling through my LinkedIn feeds half an hour ago and saw a post from a contact from Malton North Yorkshire saying they're bowing out now together with a picture of a bedside table full of paracetamol....with a lot of messages about what's her address and phone 999. Hope to God she's OK. Makes you feel utterly helpless. 

On 10/07/2021 at 23:54, Tyler Durden said:

I was just scrolling through my LinkedIn feeds half an hour ago and saw a post from a contact from Malton North Yorkshire saying they're bowing out now together with a picture of a bedside table full of paracetamol....with a lot of messages about what's her address and phone 999. Hope to God she's OK. Makes you feel utterly helpless. 

Any update on this?

Ask, as have had a similar thing with one of our friends' sons. They were actually at ours for dinner when they got a call from their other son (who was out with mates) who said check Instagram now ***** has just posted "Thanks for everything, goodbye world".  Was absolutely horrible. He was 17.  I'm glad to say he's in a far, far better mindset now but at the time, it was pretty awful. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just scrapped a long post to write a more brief and to the point without all the gory details post.

Leanne, my fiancés brother suffers from paranoid schizophrenia, we believe he's been off his meds now the all of this year. He's rapidly declined to the point where we are seriously concerned.

This is where I cut all the gory details out.

Leanne's mum and dad are old, not really capable of getting him the help he needs so I've stepped in. He's been sectioned before and I believe he needs to be sectioned again for his and others safety but it's so hard, reminds me of the trouble I had to get a doctor out to see me when I was really suffering with anxiety and couldn't leave the house, they all insisted I came into the surgery.

I've rang the mental health place where he was sectioned previously, couldn't discuss him with me, patient confidentiality, understandable, will you talk to his parents? No as he's an adult. Basically the only way they would section him is if he volunteers to come in, or is brought in by the police or ambulance service.

So I contact the non emergency police where I'm told they have to be called when he is in the middle of an act that is taking place, I should call the non emergency ambulance instead for general concerns.

I ring the non emergency ambulance where I'm told the same as the police, they don't do general welfare checks and need an incident to be active to be called out.  

In fairness she bent the rules slightly, made a telephone appointment with his GP and directed the call to me, the GP could either decline or accept the request.

This morning his GP did ring me, initially asking for him but I explained what had happened, he wouldn't discuss him or his medical records, again understandable, but would listen to my concerns. He did and after a lengthy call of pouring out all the gory details was told he will try and organise a mental health crisis team to go and assess him, but this could take a week and would only take place if he lets them in. They can't force their way in.

Now this is unlikely to happen, he thinks he's perfectly normal but he's not. Quick example, went to Hull, wanted to experience homelessness, ended up throwing lateral flow tests round the city centre shouting you're all going to die, before at 2am getting a taxi home for £120. 

Anyway, I get a call this morning from his mum, his neighbour has rang her to say he's banging and screaming and put a notice on his door saying don't knock, funeral taking place. I ask if this is taking place right now, it is, so I've got him.

Rang the police, sorry no can do, doesn't sound like there is any immediate threat to his or others life. Call the council to make a noise complaint or ring the non emergency ambulance if you think he needs an assessment.

Getting frustrated by this point I ring the non emergency ambulance and they are despatching an ambulance with police assistance, filing it as potential suicide and threat of violence saying she has made it impossible for the police not to break in if he refuses to open the door and be assessed.

Also made sure the neighbour was told of what's about to happen, please stay in as they may want to talk to you. The neighbour lives downstairs, it's a terraced house split into 2 flats, he's upstairs.

Maybe it's because I'm close to the situation, I feel more can be done, and they are following the correct procedure, but I can't agree that we need to get to a stage where his or another person's life is at risk before they will respond.

Spend 10 minutes with him wearing a jumper as trousers, boxers on his head as a bandana and you will realise that he's not mentally stable and having been beat up a couple of times in the last few weeks, is it going to take a stabbing or something worse to actually get help.

This still turned out to be a lengthy post cutting out all the details. Needs to be more support and easier for someone to get help out to someone with mental health issues. Really pisses me off that they don't appear to be taken seriously yet when it's 2021.