Millwall (A) - Match Thread

Crewton

57 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Thanks @Crewton.
You sir, are an absolute star!

Now... For those unaware, the finer details are as follows...

One afternoon this weekend.
That London.

Don't forget the referee is Derby County legend, Stuart Atwell.

Editing to make it clear I'm joking. I'm sure there's a "t" and a "w" missing from his name.

Edited by Walkley Ram

Zetterstrom

Nyambe - Nelson - Cashin - Forsyth

Adams - Goudmijn

Jackson - Harness - CBT

Yates

I’d be very happy with a point in this game just to keep us ticking over. I can see a score draw on the cards. The two sides are fairly well matched.

I don’t think we can afford to go into this game thinking things will be easier after four tough away games (and results) to open the season. Millwall on their day can be very good and naturally will be fired up to get their season back on track, so we have to be wary.

I think the key to this game will be winning the midfield battle first and foremost and matching Millwall’s midfield. If Ebou can impose himself on the game, we will have a good platform to build from and hopefully this will allow Goudmijn and possibly Harness to make things happen.

Another key will be the defence. The back four will likely be up against a lively front three in Azeez, Esse and Langstaff with lots of movement and pace and then Ivanovic and Watmore off the bench against tired legs. It’s a tough test. Azeez in particular worries me. His directness and pace gave us massive headaches during his time at Reading.

As for the attack, I think this is a good opportunity for CBT to come in and make his mark given NML has had international commitments.

If we do our jobs well and stay switched on, I am hopeful of a point and a competitive game and to me, it would be a good first step to building some momentum away from home. Crawl first, walk later.

14 minutes ago, DE56Ram said:

Ozoh is fit I’m hearing 

would make sense to me to have him and Ebou operate in the middle with Kenzo in front of a back four

jackson and Harness wide and behind Yates

Warne said he hasn't returned to training yet. If so, we won't see him for at least 2 games. Thompson and Barkhuizen played for the U21 esrlier in the week, whilst Osborn and Elder have been in training for a couple of days. The team will probably be something very close to this:

Zetterström

Nyambe   Nelson   Cashin   Forsyth

Goudmijn   Adams

Jackson   Harness   Mendez-Laing

Yates

Subs: Vickers, Phillips, Ward, Wilson, Thompson, Chirewa, Blackett-Taylor, Collins, Brown

Millwall have very similar footballing ideas and principles to us, be organized, physical, smart and fast on the break and utilise set pieces. 

They’ve 2 wins all season, both coming at home against Preston and Sheffield Wednesday, on both of them occasions they set up in a 4-2-3-1 system and came up against a 4-2-3-1 system, also having less than 40% possession in both games. This is because when at home if you match them up they will out fight, and be more physical in their duels majority of the time (once again like us at home). They also like to isolate fullbacks with Esse and Watmore winning that battle majority of the time.

In both the home games they lost they went up against 5 at the back systems who let them have the ball. Which is exactly how I think we should set up aswell as letting them have the ball as they like to hit teams when disorganized. When set up in a 5 and sitting deep it nullifies Watmore and Essenwho are both by far there biggest threats, letting Cashin and Forsyth double up on one side and Nyambe and Wilson on the other we can leave Nelson to handle Langstaff. I’d also use NML off the bench as Warne said he was still travelling home today. 

JWZ

Nyambe Nelson Cashin 

Wilson Kenzo Ebou Forsyth 

Jackson Yates Harness 

Bench: Vickers, Phillips, Elder, Ward, Ozoh, Osborn, CBT, NML, Collins 

Letting Harness and Jackson have freedom to come inside and swap wings would benefit us majorly as they aren’t blessed with pace in the full back area. I also wouldn’t mind CBT starting over either Jackson or Harness as he’s looked good lately. In attack having Wilson, Yates, Kenzo, Harness and Jackson brings a lot of pace and Dynamism which could prove deadly on the counter attack. 

It's a game both teams will expect/hope to win. Millwall have beaten both Wednesday & Preston at home and will see us in a similar vein. We've ran into a bit of a buzzsaw away from home playing four teams who have collected 51 points from a possible 57. I do think our performances have been promising and we will be bang in the game here. 

I'll go for a Derby win 2-1 with us hanging on at the end. FRGS: Yates. 

11 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Millwall have very similar footballing ideas and principles to us, be organized, physical, smart and fast on the break and utilise set pieces. 

They’ve 2 wins all season, both coming at home against Preston and Sheffield Wednesday, on both of them occasions they set up in a 4-2-3-1 system and came up against a 4-2-3-1 system, also having less than 40% possession in both games. This is because when at home if you match them up they will out fight, and be more physical in their duels majority of the time (once again like us at home). They also like to isolate fullbacks with Esse and Watmore winning that battle majority of the time.

In both the home games they lost they went up against 5 at the back systems who let them have the ball. Which is exactly how I think we should set up aswell as letting them have the ball as they like to hit teams when disorganized. When set up in a 5 and sitting deep it nullifies Watmore and Essenwho are both by far there biggest threats, letting Cashin and Forsyth double up on one side and Nyambe and Wilson on the other we can leave Nelson to handle Langstaff. I’d also use NML off the bench as Warne said he was still travelling home today. 

JWZ

Nyambe Nelson Cashin 

Wilson Kenzo Ebou Forsyth 

Jackson Yates Harness 

Bench: Vickers, Phillips, Elder, Ward, Ozoh, Osborn, CBT, NML, Collins 

Letting Harness and Jackson have freedom to come inside and swap wings would benefit us majorly as they aren’t blessed with pace in the full back area. I also wouldn’t mind CBT starting over either Jackson or Harness as he’s looked good lately. In attack having Wilson, Yates, Kenzo, Harness and Jackson brings a lot of pace and Dynamism which could prove deadly on the counter attack. 

I think there’s a nice symmetry to that team but if we go to a central three and leave Phillips out I think he’ll be on the bus back to Liverpool 😊

We can justify leaving him out of a back four as Cash and Nels have done so well but….

I think Phillips’ extra aerial power will be useful too against Millwall.

Your choice does allow Wilson to get forward in the knowledge the other four would just move across one place. 

I’d like to see Harness start, too. I think he brings something a little different to our attack and might get closer to Yates. When we’re away from home, Yates gets isolated.

Looking forward to it!

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think there’s a nice symmetry to that team but if we go to a central three and leave Phillips out I think he’ll be on the bus back to Liverpool 😊

We can justify leaving him out of a back four as Cash and Nels have done so well but….

I think Phillips’ extra aerial power will be useful too against Millwall.

Your choice does allow Wilson to get forward in the knowledge the other four would just move across one place. 

I’d like to see Harness start, too. I think he brings something a little different to our attack and might get closer to Yates. When we’re away from home, Yates gets isolated.

Looking forward to it!

I do think Phillips can be good for us, and is obviously a good player at the level, but I just always feel more comfortable and think we are a better side with Nyambe in it.

17 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Warne said he hasn't returned to training yet. If so, we won't see him for at least 2 games. Thompson and Barkhuizen played for the U21 esrlier in the week, whilst Osborn and Elder have been in training for a couple of days. The team will probably be something very close to this:

Zetterström

Nyambe   Nelson   Cashin   Forsyth

Goudmijn   Adams

Jackson   Harness   Mendez-Laing

Yates

Subs: Vickers, Phillips, Ward, Wilson, Thompson, Chirewa, Blackett-Taylor, Collins, Brown

I read this in PW’s fitness update re David which is how PW addresses discussion on Ozoh.

"With David, we were hopeful he would be available for this weekend - we’re not sure he will be but he’s really close."

I think they’ve kept his training/fitness secret and he’s our secret weapon in Londinium 🙂

Really interesting game today.

Feels like part 1 of the season is over. Early results mean we started decidedly midtable, great at home, poor away. Have taken the game to a couple of teams and potentially been unlucky in a couple of games.

So...can we kick on. Play more games where we try to keep the ball a bit more. Win away from home. Really establish ourselves as a midtable team.  Or we going to carry on being ravaged by injury, be poor away and meet some bigger teams at home and find ourselves sinking towards the lower reaches.

Really miss Ozoh and no Osborn..so drop Kenzo back and add Wilson /Jackson for their defensive work.

Zetterstrom 

Nyambe Cash Nels Fozzie

Adams Kenzo

Wilson    Harness  Jackson 

Yates