Tedious and boring

I don't mind folks having different points of view. I'm not so keen on the repetitive grinding of some posters. You've made your point, you don't have to keep repeating it ad nauseum! 

It's worn me down and I'm sure others too. But I try to look for the positives and I'm sure the revenue from the serial offenders helps @Day keep the site running! 

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Thats a very reasoned view S8TY and thats the point for me, its very reasoned. Dogmatic statements focusing on the negative ad infinitum can get very tiresome. 

Thanks Pimpernel I do get that …what I don’t personally like is that if you have an opinion which is deemed negative because let’s say for example you don’t think Warne is the right manager for the championship or you don’t like some of our tactics …to me that’s not negative …its an opinion ans everyone is entitled to it …but the moment someone says something like that they’re jumped on as negative ….some fans like a certain style of play or like the way we set up under Warne nothing wrong with that opinion either …healthy debate is a good thing and to me is only negative if it got personal ….i don’t agree with every pundit on tv some of which have played professional football at the highest level but then amongst themselves they don’t all agree 

I don’t like hearing peoples opinions rubbished because its deemed as negative when its just an opinion 

9 hours ago, Rev said:

Do you only display that option to sensible posters, and if so who decides who's sensible or not?

Open to all.

I'm guessing 'sensible posters' (those who find these games of oneupmanship tiresome) would click but it would pose an interesting dilemma for those involved in these petty squabbles.

Do they want to win an argument or do they want to have an argument?

If they clicked the 'bored' emoji on a post of someone they were having an argument with,  they may win an argument by getting rid of the person with whom they are arguing....but  it risks them losing the ability to have an argument.

I suspect there a very small number of posters who want to have an argument for argument's sake and there a few more who want to have an argument and win it.

It seems certain behaviour on here is tolerated on the basis of 'differences of opinion' but that's not an excuse for abuse or ridicule.

Rather than looking at the difference between tedious and boring, I think we'd all benefit from considering the difference between discussion, debate and argument.

Look at the top of the page....DERBY COUNTY FORUM This is where we discuss anything Derby County

The words “argue”, “debate” and “discuss” are often confused because they all involve the exchange of ideas and opinions. However, the key difference lies in the level of formality and the tone of communication. Arguing is forceful and confrontational, while debating is more structured and aims to reach a conclusion. Discussing is neutral and collaborative, and it seeks to explore different perspectives. It is important to choose the right word for the right context to convey your message effectively.

1 minute ago, S8TY said:

Thanks Pimpernel I do get that …what I don’t personally like is that if you have an opinion which is deemed negative because let’s say for example you don’t think Warne is the right manager for the championship or you don’t like some of our tactics …to me that’s not negative …its an opinion ans everyone is entitled to it …but the moment someone says something like that they’re jumped on as negative ….some fans like a certain style of play or like the way we set up under Warne nothing wrong with that opinion either …healthy debate is a good thing and to me is only negative if it got personal ….i don’t agree with every pundit on tv some of which have played professional football at the highest level but then amongst themselves they don’t all agree 

I don’t like hearing peoples opinions rubbished because its deemed as negative when its just an opinion 

Again, I agree with that. Its just the ad infinitum bit that wears me down personally. For instance if we were in the pub, to use that analogy, I doubt many of us would choose to sit and listen to some moaning mini going on and on about negatives. We'd probably sit somewhere else or go to a different pub. Only problem is this is really the only pub in town. 

28 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Again, I agree with that. Its just the ad infinitum bit that wears me down personally. For instance if we were in the pub, to use that analogy, I doubt many of us would choose to sit and listen to some moaning mini going on and on about negatives. We'd probably sit somewhere else or go to a different pub. Only problem is this is really the only pub in town. 

Or is it? I know of a different pub, the beer's a bit dearer, but it's worth it to me if they keep out the riff-raff! 

It's more like a school playground than a pub a lot of the time, replete with playground tactics.

Step one: Identify a weakness that marks another person or group as 'below' you. 

Step two: Either set whatever form of bait you know they're prone to taking yourself, or wait for someone else to do it and pile in once they're already on the hook.

Step three: Use their subsequent reaction against them to either claim moral or intellectual superiority, or just outright mock them from a position of strength. Twist their words and take them out of context if necessary.

Step four: Apply social exclusion techniques, ie make a public comment to a third party about having put someone on ignore / boast about the number of people you've got ignore so that even those who you haven't might believe they're also being excluded/considered beneath you.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

Nothing I can do. 

I'm not adding a rule in to the forum terms of use that says don't be boring or hold negative views. It's just impossible.

This is all on you, dcfcfans.uk isn't the rules or the software, it's all of you, the members, recognising when your opinions may become tedious if they are being posted every day, in every topic, having that self awareness to say my point has been made I'll sit back and see what others have to say.

I can put the basic rules in place to not turn it into an abusive cesspit, prevent anything illegal being posted etc.

The community spirit however is on you all.

I don't think these topics particularly help, it's the second this week. The self awareness that I spoke about will come from within, not being told by someone else you're boring, your opinions are boring and you basically need to shut up. Nobody will take that well.

My suggestion would be this either use the ignore function or simply don't spend as much time on here.

I don't mean that as a piss off then, I say it as someone that holds a different view to other platforms that want to keep your eyes on for as much as possible with algorithms that keep you scrolling and almost at addiction levels.

I think it's a dangerous path for our own mental health and social developments being glued to the internet, especially with the youth of today. 

Get some fresh air, see friends, family and jump on for 20 mins, half hour a day, 2 days and I promise you will feel better for it and the negative comments won't irritate anywhere near as much.

Finally, the biggest one is simply don't interact with them, don't react, quote, indirectly reply, mention. Scroll past and move on to the next, nobody can have pages of disagreements by themselves. 

I think we are getting more posts about the toxicity of the forum of late than we are genuinely offensive or reactionary posts.

Interestingly, I'm finding the amount of moaning about moaners quite tedious and boring.

Now you've got me moaning about people moaning about people moaning about the football. When will it end?

1 hour ago, May Contain Nuts said:

It's more like a school playground than a pub a lot of the time, replete with playground tactics.

Step one: Identify a weakness that marks another person or group as 'below' you. 

Step two: Either set whatever form of bait you know they're prone to taking yourself, or wait for someone else to do it and pile in once they're already on the hook.

Step three: Use their subsequent reaction against them to either claim moral or intellectual superiority, or just outright mock them from a position of strength. Twist their words and take them out of context if necessary.

Step four: Apply social exclusion techniques, ie make a public comment to a third party about having put someone on ignore / boast about the number of people you've got ignore so that even those who you haven't might believe they're also being excluded/considered beneath you.

Yeah but my dad's Hulk Hogan.

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

I've got to the stage where I'll see certain people posting about Warne or on the matchday thread and skip past.

Some people will just repeat the same thing over and over again and whether they have a valid argument or not, it just gets boring and it comes across as obsessive. 

Agreed.
I've done a lot of skipping just lately

... And I'm not referring to my route home after a game!

22 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I think we are getting more posts about the toxicity of the forum of late than we are genuinely offensive or reactionary posts.

Interestingly, I'm finding the amount of moaning about moaners quite tedious and boring.

Now you've got me moaning about people moaning about people moaning about the football. When will it end?

I had a little look at the Spurs forum once last season when things were going well for them . It was like World War Three. Talk about foul and abusive . Ours is very , very tame , by comparison. 

21 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Not the football, this forum! 

I think that most people come on here to have a 'chat' about the Rams or even football in general but increasingly it reminds me of the old Monty Python sketch, "are you here for the five minute argument or the full half hour".

Everybody is entitled to post what they want in a manner they chose but after 50 pages of "you're wrong", "no, you're wrong" it just becomes pointless. I know that the idea of these forums is to generate debate, but very little of what happens on here is debate. 

Take the issue of Paul Warne. To come on here after every game and tell everyone, essentially how rubbish he is and tell everyone where he is going wrong tactically, because you play football manager, or coach you sons under 8s on Darley Park, is just howling at the moon as your theories will never be tested, so they will always be correct in your head

I doubt anybody on here thinks that Paul Warne is the best manager we've ever had, or even in the top five, but he is our manager and will be until David Clowes decides differently. Ultimately you will have your way and you will be able to say "I told you so" because he will be sacked at some point.

If you want an idea of sensible debate look at the Mickley Arthur thread on the cricket. There is probably more to be upset about at the cricket club than the Rams but it's all reasoned discussions where people put forward opinions, rather than confrontational statements, aimed at pitting one side against another.

You said it yourself mate and that's the thing; it would be boring if everyone had the same viewpoints and opinions on things. That's pretty much the whole point of the forum! Everyone is different! Up the rams🐏 

50 minutes ago, Day said:

Nothing I can do. 

I'm not adding a rule in to the forum terms of use that says don't be boring or hold negative views. It's just impossible.

This is all on you, dcfcfans.uk isn't the rules or the software, it's all of you, the members, recognising when your opinions may become tedious if they are being posted every day, in every topic, having that self awareness to say my point has been made I'll sit back and see what others have to say.

I can put the basic rules in place to not turn it into an abusive cesspit, prevent anything illegal being posted etc.

The community spirit however is on you all.

I don't think these topics particularly help, it's the second this week. The self awareness that I spoke about will come from within, not being told by someone else you're boring, your opinions are boring and you basically need to shut up. Nobody will take that well.

My suggestion would be this either use the ignore function or simply don't spend as much time on here.

I don't mean that as a piss off then, I say it as someone that holds a different view to other platforms that want to keep your eyes on for as much as possible with algorithms that keep you scrolling and almost at addiction levels.

I think it's a dangerous path for our own mental health and social developments being glued to the internet, especially with the youth of today. 

Get some fresh air, see friends, family and jump on for 20 mins, half hour a day, 2 days and I promise you will feel better for it and the negative comments won't irritate anywhere near as much.

Finally, the biggest one is simply don't interact with them, don't react, quote, indirectly reply, mention. Scroll past and move on to the next, nobody can have pages of disagreements by themselves. 

I’m sorry David but we do need a whole set of new rules. We need to log in, and then before posting sing Steve Bloomers Washing (every verse)  provide a ticket, receipt or notarised statement that we have watched a performance of “that damned United” and promise to be upstanding citizens giving due respect to all other posters and never call anyone a Bamford. 
We must also sit down have a cup of tea and after about 15 minutes agree that I am right. 

18 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

You could include an IQ test in the sign-up for the forum - anyone scoring less than 50 gets bombed out - would get rid of half the folk in one sweep....

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

The modern tendency to categorise anyone you disagree with as stupid.