Championship 24/25 rival watch

30 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

4 goals in 48 games across his last 2 loan spells at Pompey and Ipswich.

He’s talented, though. Plenty of examples of talented players failing on loans before coming to life. Morgan Whittaker, Chuba Akpom come to mind. Troy Parrott too. 

He’s got a fine record at youth level and international youth level. It could go either way, of course, but strikes me as a worthwhile gamble given the striker market. 

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

His current club might have something to say about that.

alan-partridge-steve-coogan.gif

I had no idea - I had a footballing hiatus over late Spring/early Summer and thought he was still tending his garden.

Really don’t understand why people on Twitter and even some on here think Oxford are having a great window. In full back they signed Kioso who’s never looked comfortable at the level, aswell as a left back who’s 22 and has never played above league 2 level who has 3 career assists. They’ve signed Jamie cumming who wasn’t anything special as a goalie in league one and in midfield Vaulks and El Mizouni are good but I’d rather Adams and Ozoh over them every day of the week. Sibley we know is inconsistent and has gone there to play central midfield. They’ve then replaced their best winger with Placheta who has pace and not much else and Matt Phillips who’s scored 10 goals since 2020. Dane Scarlett then is a very overhyped striker who has 6 senior goals in 70 odd games. I’d only take El Mizouni out of that bunch and then Malcolm only because I loved him here but he’s done nothing since he left us.

9 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Really don’t understand why people on Twitter and even some on here think Oxford are having a great window. In full back they signed Kioso who’s never looked comfortable at the level, aswell as a left back who’s 22 and has never played above league 2 level who has 3 career assists. They’ve signed Jamie cumming who wasn’t anything special as a goalie in league one and in midfield Vaulks and El Mizouni are good but I’d rather Adams and Ozoh over them every day of the week. Sibley we know is inconsistent and has gone there to play central midfield. They’ve then replaced their best winger with Placheta who has pace and not much else and Matt Phillips who’s scored 10 goals since 2020. Dane Scarlett then is a very overhyped striker who has 6 senior goals in 70 odd games. I’d only take El Mizouni out of that bunch and then Malcolm only because I loved him here but he’s done nothing since he left us.

Its basically cos they are signing players mate.

Some of our fans just want to see us sign a player because they are too impatient to wait. 

I agree with you on all of this. 

Or it's because people think they're signing players who may not look much cop on paper, but by fitting in well with a clearly defined way of playing which people think suits the Championship more than ours, may individually and collectively perform above the standard expected of them?

I'm not convinced that's how it will play out for them, but we'll see.

24 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I’m sorry I have to disagree. I think a lot of their recruitment has been very good and clever, coupled with a forward thinking and structured approach to management and play.

I believe I heard on sky Saturday that their starting lineup had only 2 changes from the playoff final. A settled team that by the looks of it has strengthened with the top players at other clubs.

The starting midfield of Brannagan, Vaulks, Rodrigues and Goodrham is strong at this level in the first place.

Regards to new signings:

Vaulks, voted player of the year at Sheff Wednesday last year - knows the league like the back of his hand.

Peter Kioso - Peterborough captain and highly rated by their fans - only makes the bench

Sibley, supposedly left us for game time… (not so sure on this) only makes their bench.

New left back from AFC Wimbledon - again their most highly regarded player, on their bench.

El Mizounhi, Leyton orients player of the season, only makes their bench.

Jurys out on placheta and the keeper agreed, they do have Matt Ingram as back up, he’s a solid keeper at this level.

Matt Phillips I would have here and same with Ebiowei.

Id also have Mark Harris ahead of any of our strikers.

i don’t know enough about the center backs to comment but they looked fairly solid Saturday, keeping a clean sheet not conceding 4….

Still think we’ll finish similar ish position to them in the league but to say their recruitment has been poor is just untrue, as much as it pains me to say it.

Brentford, Brighton all take the approach of supplementing experience with teams from the leagues below best young players. Look how that’s worked out for them…

I’m keeping the faith that none of the promoted teams go down.

1 minute ago, Mickleram2024 said:

I’m sorry I have to disagree. I think a lot of their recruitment has been very good and clever, coupled with a forward thinking and structured approach to management and play.

I believe I heard on sky Saturday that their starting lineup had only 2 changes from the playoff final. A settled team that by the looks of it has strengthened with the top players at other clubs.

The starting midfield of Brannagan, Vaulks, Rodrigues and Goodrham is strong at this level in the first place.

Regards to new signings:

Vaulks, voted player of the year at Sheff Wednesday last year - knows the league like the back of his hand.

Peter Kioso - Peterborough captain and highly rated by their fans - only makes the bench

Sibley, supposedly left us for game time… (not so sure on this) only makes their bench.

New left back from AFC Wimbledon - again their most highly regarded player, on their bench.

El Mizounhi, Leyton orients player of the season, only makes their bench.

Jurys out on placheta and the keeper agreed, they do have Matt Ingram as back up, he’s a solid keeper at this level.

Matt Phillips I would have here and same with Ebiowei.

Id also have Mark Harris ahead of any of our strikers.

i don’t know enough about the center backs to comment but they looked fairly solid Saturday, keeping a clean sheet not conceding 4….

Still think we’ll finish similar ish position to them in the league but to say their recruitment has been poor is just untrue, as much as it pains me to say it.

Brentford, Brighton all take the approach of supplementing experience with teams from the leagues below best young players. Look how that’s worked out for them…

I’m keeping the faith that none of the promoted teams go down.

Peter Kioso was a good right back for Peterborough but did only play 24 games in league one and was getting praise when Peterborough were on fire. He’s been deemed not good enough for the championship across 4 seasons. 

Jack currie is a project player but I’m not sure he’ll step up to the level I could be proven wrong. 

Mark Harris scored his 10th championship goal on the weekend on his 88th championship appearance. He also missed 15 big chances last season (5 more than Collins) who is berated by a lot of our fans for his finishing.

Ruben Rodrigues and Goodrham could be good at this level but are unproven. El Mizouni is a good player but certainly didn’t win Leyton orients player of the season. Ethan Galbraith won the supporters club “star man award” answell as the managers player of the season and Ruel Sotirue won the official player of the season. 

We all know Malcolm has ability but he hasn’t shown it since then few games for us. Where he’s only played 22 games for three different clubs at three different levels scoring no goals. 

Matt Phillips is a preference of yours which is fair I can’t argue opinion but his key attributes when he was at his best were his directness and end product which have both decreased dramatically over the last 3 years. 

Also from when Des Buckingham took over at Oxford last year Oxford were 14th for points accumulated. So yes they had a good start at home against a Norwich team who had only lost their best player in Sara and had 2 high quality players in Rowe and Idah both wanting to leave and having disciplinary issues before the game. I can’t see the rest of the season being so rosy.

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

I don't believe anyone has said their recruitment has been 'poor', have they? Just that it's been overhyped a bit.

Fair enough 🙌 perhaps interpreted it wrong. I’m surprised we don’t fish more in the same pools as we nicked their recruitment person. 

3 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Watching Luton last night and their season in the Prem just made me realise under Warne we are like a Luton tribute act. They just have the pace, power, crossing and set piece drills Warne wishes he could afford.

Depending how you view our football but I think we set up to be completely like the Wimbledon team from the 80s but we don’t do the off the ball stuff and our forwards are nowhere near as good ( currently) but that is done within wage constraints so I can’t complain too much this season - we totally play the get it out wide on all occasions and cross it and hope somebody competes for the ball and might score a goal in addition to our obvious set piece optimism. I might be wrong but that’s what I see.

3 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Peter Kioso was a good right back for Peterborough but did only play 24 games in league one and was getting praise when Peterborough were on fire. He’s been deemed not good enough for the championship across 4 seasons. 

Jack currie is a project player but I’m not sure he’ll step up to the level I could be proven wrong. 

Mark Harris scored his 10th championship goal on the weekend on his 88th championship appearance. He also missed 15 big chances last season (5 more than Collins) who is berated by a lot of our fans for his finishing.

Ruben Rodrigues and Goodrham could be good at this level but are unproven. El Mizouni is a good player but certainly didn’t win Leyton orients player of the season. Ethan Galbraith won the supporters club “star man award” answell as the managers player of the season and Ruel Sotirue won the official player of the season. 

We all know Malcolm has ability but he hasn’t shown it since then few games for us. Where he’s only played 22 games for three different clubs at three different levels scoring no goals. 

Matt Phillips is a preference of yours which is fair I can’t argue opinion but his key attributes when he was at his best were his directness and end product which have both decreased dramatically over the last 3 years. 

Also from when Des Buckingham took over at Oxford last year Oxford were 14th for points accumulated. So yes they had a good start at home against a Norwich team who had only lost their best player in Sara and had 2 high quality players in Rowe and Idah both wanting to leave and having disciplinary issues before the game. I can’t see the rest of the season being so rosy.

I think ultimately a fairly large difference is that they know what they have wanted and they have gone out and got them.

They have a clearly defined style of play and formation, and decent cover in most positions, meaning they can integrate new players slowly. They’ve picked up players who will probably (possibly?) be ok for the level, will develop and, if not, will go back down better for the experience.

At the minute I think it’s definitely a better window than ours. That might not be the case by the end of August, and might be shown not to be the right approach by the end of May. I don’t really see any gaping holes in their squad - I’m not a big fan of Harris but he’s a nuisance and I imagine they’re hoping Scarlett will finally click with them. 

The tricky thing is we went into this summer in very different situations. We needed (another) rebuild, borne out of the short term way we recruited in L1 (not saying it was right or wrong, will only know that in May), and they didn’t.