Realistic expectations for this season.

If we concede less than 1.5 goals per game on average we will probably be mid table even if we are goal shy. 

The midfield signings have potential for shielding the defence well and if we can add a bit of pace in the back 2/3 (and decent goalie of course) then I think we can be tight.

Struggle where the goals are coming from though so when we do net, we need to make it count.

Prediction 14-18th unless we find a sharp shooter.

46 minutes ago, MaltRam said:

A battling, fit, hard working team that scraps for every point and finishes where it finishes.

Rams fans will want to see 100% effort in every game . Players that don’t look interested will get a sharp reminder from fans. They will have to have confidence in the managers plan for each game . We know that if their heads drop , it goes pear-shaped very quick .

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I think that might be a theme until Warne leaves & we get in a manager more appropriate for a club of this stature at this level.

A well reasoned post, thanks for sharing. I’m interested in what, or perhaps more specifically who this means?

It’s surely down to personal preference, I personally like the focus on character and selflessness that Warne brings to the club, there’s an apparent unity fostered by his time here and a rebuilding of the club’s reputation following the dire recent history. I’ve also enjoyed the return to athleticism and physicality in the side as I felt this was something we lacked in the not too distant past. I agree Warne’s tactics aren’t the most progressive but there’s an intent to win football matches and a level of adaptability at times, which personally is what I want to see from the team, regardless of the method. I think a low to mid table finish is on the cards, it won’t be pretty but I can accept that and a season of consolidation as the rebuild continues. 

I’ve always maintained Warne will move on eventually either because the results aren’t good enough or because they are or maybe just because his time here runs it’s course, such is the nature of football. Whatever the end point I find it far easier to accept he’s the manager we have in this moment until such point it changes. Worrying about things beyond my control serves no purpose but to spoil the present moment. 

This is meant purely as a respectful discussion point by the way, I think Warne has earned his shot at the championship and don’t fully get that sentiment that the club deserves a manager more appropriate for the stature and level as you say. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I think that might be a theme until Warne leaves & we get in a manager more appropriate for a club of this stature at this level.

That's just disrespectful to Warne and his team, we are where we are because of them. What are you on about 'A club of this stature' ?Jesus, we've won nowt for Decades and are now doggy paddling to stay afloat in a league with squads far superior to ours. Sunderland have players valued at £7m/£10m/£25m and theyre expecting to finish midtable. We have to stay up, as simple as that unless we can get Pep or Klopp or someone in who's more suitable to our stature

8 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

A well reasoned post, thanks for sharing. I’m interested in what, or perhaps more specifically who this means?

It’s surely down to personal preference, I personally like the focus on character and selflessness that Warne brings to the club, there’s an apparent unity fostered by his time here and a rebuilding of the club’s reputation following the dire recent history. I’ve also enjoyed the return to athleticism and physicality in the side as I felt this was something we lacked in the not too distant past. I agree Warne’s tactics aren’t the most progressive but there’s an intent to win football matches and a level of adaptability at times, which personally is what I want to see from the team, regardless of the method. I think a low to mid table finish is on the cards, it won’t be pretty but I can accept that and a season of consolidation as the rebuild continues. 

I’ve always maintained Warne will move on eventually either because the results aren’t good enough or because they are or maybe just because his time here runs it’s course, such is the nature of football. Whatever the end point I find it far easier to accept he’s the manager we have in this moment until such point it changes. Worrying about things beyond my control serves no purpose but to spoil the present moment. 

This is meant purely as a respectful discussion point by the way, I think Warne has earned his shot at the championship and don’t fully get that sentiment that the club deserves a manager more appropriate for the stature and level as you say. 

I meant a manager with either a better track record at a higher level or one who has a better chance of success at this level because of the sfyle they employ and re stature, the fact that Derby should not be looking to return to the 3rd tier. Whilst I'd share your thoughts about Warne's positives (focus on character & game smarts), I think the overall style he employs just won't cut it at this level & that allied to a weak squad (as thibgs stand) doesn't bode well long term.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree whether he's earnt a shot at this level...we wouldn't show the same benevolence to players like Waghorn or Hourihane & I see Warne's ceiling at a similiar level. Clearly it is going to play out with him getting the opportunity & I'd be delighted to hold my hands up as wrong if he finished us comfortably midtable next April. I just dont think thats at all likely.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

12-16th.

Pre season has been difficult and discouraging and Warne and the coaches look to have made a few missteps. They’ve only served to give sceptics (professional or otherwise) a brand new lease of life.

However it only takes one or two performances to get people back on board. Two wins v Barnsley and Real Valladolid and four points v Blackburn and Boro and people will start to believe again.

Hopefully Warne, the players and the coaches have taken stock and we can see a reaction over the next few weeks as well as a few more positive additions in the transfer market. If we can unearth a few more players with the calibre and upside of Goudmijn and Zetterstrom, people will be buoyed again.

Get recruitment right and aligned with a workable style and set up, then of course Warne and the boys can still spring a surprise. It’s a bit galling that everyone is seemingly tipping us to go down when there’s so little to separate 12-14 teams in the division. I really hope this lights a fire under everyone at the club, fans included.

Let’s prove everyone wrong and survive comfortably.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

12-16th.

Pre season has been difficult and discouraging and Warne and the coaches look to have made a few missteps. They’ve only served to give sceptics (professional or otherwise) a brand new lease of life.

They had a plan, they've stuck to it. Concentrating on fitness up to and including the Shrewsbury practice game aka glosrified training session. Since then the focus has been on formation and tactics. Exactly what we did last season and that turned out badly didn't it?. The starting XI tonight will, barring any injuries/knocks, be the strongest XI we have (I expect it not to be that come the end of August once the window shuts), playing the formation PW et al see us playing this season.

I'd love to know what you see to be the "missteps".

I think lower-mid table is where we'll end up.

At various points during the first couple of months of the season, I dare say I'll either believe we'll get relegated or make the playoffs but ultimately we'll just be ok and can try and kick on next season

I remember watching our games against Wigan and Oxford at the start of last season and thinking this lot have got no chance!

You never can tell how a season is going to pan out.

If PW and staff can instil the kind of team spirit we had last year, we should be okay.

That might take a while with the number of newcomers we have, but I’m hopeful they’ll achieve at least that.

As others have said, the next few signings will make things more clear. The squad has certainly improved but still has some room for improvement to compete for 46 games. We need a good goalie, a decent striker option, and, ideally, a CB & LWB.

Staying up has to be the realistic goal - keep it tight, work hard, maintain the team spirit and positive support. Finishing 21st will do me.

I can picture a final day escape, players dancing around....possibly another pitch invasion?

(And solid, long-term planning for 9 out-of-contract players and 2 loans ending next summer...)

3 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

As others have said, the next few signings will make things more clear. The squad has certainly improved but still has some room for improvement to compete for 46 games. We need a good goalie, a decent striker option, and, ideally, a CB & LWB.

Staying up has to be the realistic goal - keep it tight, work hard, maintain the team spirit and positive support. Finishing 21st will do me.

I can picture a final day escape, players dancing around....possibly another pitch invasion?

(And solid, long-term planning for 9 out-of-contract players and 2 loans ending next summer...)

New contracts for Kane Wilson & Curtis Nelson would make me very happy.

There's still seems to be some strange correlation in some people's minds that a fair few posters having some worries about our ability to compete (as it stands) is somehow the same as whether they support the club or not. I just don't get that association. When match day rolls around, I'll grab my jacket and hop in the car and shout myself hoarse at the game, win, lose or draw. The strength of my belief that we will win any given game or how our season will ultimately pan out is nothing to do with whether I support my team or not.

Whatever I think of our chances, I'm not one of these people who has ever booed my team and not will I ever do so as that is utterly wrong and counter-productive. They have my 100% support from first whistle to last (the odd curse under my breath aside) but away from the games themselves, I reserve the right to be concerned about a performance or the direction that we're heading in and discussing that when I'm having a pint with mates, before or after the game, or logging on to this messageboard is surely part of what football is about and how it occupies our thoughts beyond the 90 minutes.

The pieces are not all in place yet and until they are I'm reserving judgement, but kicking off the season with what we have would definitely worry me somewhat. It's OK to be concerned surely ?

4 hours ago, MadAmster said:

They had a plan, they've stuck to it. Concentrating on fitness up to and including the Shrewsbury practice game aka glosrified training session. Since then the focus has been on formation and tactics. Exactly what we did last season and that turned out badly didn't it?. The starting XI tonight will, barring any injuries/knocks, be the strongest XI we have (I expect it not to be that come the end of August once the window shuts), playing the formation PW et al see us playing this season.

I'd love to know what you see to be the "missteps".

Personally I would have focused more on building cohesion and partnerships from the very beginning.

I think using four to five games as a time to experiment and a time to build fitness or gain minutes is the major misstep.

We have brought in 6 new signings so far and lost 5-6 regulars. We should have had an idea of what set up, tactics and key personnel we are relying on from very early on and worked on that for 50-60 minutes every game, so existing players can get into a rhythm and new signings can just slot in.

There is a huge difference between training together and playing together. The fact that our strongest XI and favoured set up is only being used now with two games to play gives credence to the thinking that we’ll start slowly and be playing catch up.

I don’t thank you can afford to do that in the Championship in our position. Hopefully it won’t be the case, but it is easy to see why that could be a concern.

Edited by Jourdan

14 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I enjoyed this response as much as did @LeedsCityRam initial viewpoint.

I recognise Warne’s strengths and qualities, and they are admiral ones. What’s not to like. However, ultimately his tenure as a football manager will always be judged on what he actually delivers. I personally still think that his, and his team’s, coaching and tactical abilities will hold us back in this league, but we won’t know that until he is given the chance. Could be an interesting next 5 months. Very interesting as Barry Davies might say.

Just to add, I’m really glad I am no longer in the ‘Commitment Club’ where I travel far and have to pay royally for many of the performances I did witness last season. And whilst it will incur the wrath of many (understandably) I am pretty happy that I have the simple option of a flick of the TV switch this season as to whether I do or don’t watch the team perform.

Hope: Stay up safely. No real worries over relegation towards the end of the season. 15th upwards.

Expectation: An absolute fight for our lives all season long.

I really want Warne to succeed here and it to go well for him, his team, and Clowes. I'm delighted he got us promoted last season.

But I'm also not going to pretend that last season's performances were any good. I think in the majority we were pretty ugly. We got the job done, but it didn't look like we would at times. 

We can't play like we did last season. We will go straight back down. Rock bottom. Warne needs to be backed to get better players in, but he and his coaching team need to get us playing better football.

If we're rock bottom in November I won't pretend that I'm not going to be calling for him to go. 

We have to stay up. If it's looking like Warne won't deliver that, he can go.