Jacob Widell Zetterstrom - SIGNED, FINALLY - 3yr deal

Nuwtfly

22 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Is anyone else really pleasantly surprised by the business we've done so far this summer?

Using the European market, sensible fees, clear strategy signings round pegs for round holes...really impressed so far.

Yes. Time will tell if they are actually good signings, but I'm pleased with how we've gone about our business.

No surprise they're reporting an inflated figure their end
nowhere near 1.4m 

Numbers I've been told are around £750k plus add ons - plus a 10% sell on 
Also the initial payment is spread over 3 payments so around 250k per year 

When you look at the maths on it too it makes economical sense

Wages are half what Hladky has gone to Burnley for in the end

1 minute ago, SECornerRAM said:

nowhere near 1.4m 

very happy with that. any word on dembele or centre forward ?

3 minutes ago, SECornerRAM said:

nowhere near 1.4m 

The more I read posts like this, about how we no longer appear to be paying over the odds, and seem to be doing shrewd business, not least tapping into the continental market, the more impressed I get (if that's possible) with Clowes and his team. Clearly we have to translate this to the pitch, and results of course but at the moment I feel very, very positive about the future. 

Wow, it looks like this one is actually happening then. Must admit I wasn’t expecting to see us paying fees of over £1m on a single player this summer - but I don’t think people should be panicking that we can afford it. We’ve received at least £3m in sell on fees from Kellyman, Delap and Bogle - so we certainly have the funds to do deals like this, if we deem them worth it.

For what it’s worth, I actually think £1.4m is a pretty good deal for a young international goalkeeper with lots of top flight experience - I was expecting at least £2m, which I why I initially thought he would be out of budget. Hopefully it should be done soon and we can see what he’s like over the next few weeks!

17 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Wow, it looks like this one is actually happening then. Must admit I wasn’t expecting to see us paying fees of over £1m on a single player this summer - but I don’t think people should be panicking that we can afford it. We’ve received at least £3m in sell on fees from Kellyman, Delap and Bogle - so we certainly have the funds to do deals like this, if we deem them worth it.

For what it’s worth, I actually think £1.4m is a pretty good deal for a young international goalkeeper with lots of top flight experience - I was expecting at least £2m, which I why I initially thought he would be out of budget. Hopefully it should be done soon and we can see what he’s like over the next few weeks!

It's not 1mill in one go though, installments, add ons and bonuses, maybe sell on as well

24 minutes ago, Sharp_Ram said:

It's not 1mill in one go though, installments, add ons and bonuses, maybe sell on as well

We’re unlikely to know the exact structure of the deal, but I’m sure there will be add ons on top - there always are in football transfers 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

We are getting an additional £9m in TV money from Sky for being in the Championship that we wouldn't in Lg1.  Smooth that out as a one off, rather than the potential annual amount, and we could spend that alongside net transfer payments and existing outgoings - and our net position will not have moved from last year, but with a stronger squad.

A million here and there, provided we are in Championship is not dangerous.  It is spending £8m on players like Bielek plus salary that does the harm, as it is not far off gate receipts per season for one player and when adding in a whole team gets very expensive.

At £350k plus salary per season (double?) annualised is not too bad.  The issue is only if we go down and it then looks less rosy.

Edited by CBX1985

8 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

We are getting an additional £9m in TV money from Sky for being in the Championship that we wouldn't in Lg1.  Smooth that out as a one off, rather than the potential annual amount, and we could spend that alongside net transfer payments and existing outgoings - and our net position will not have moved from last year, but with a stronger squad.

A million here and there, provided we are in Championship is not dangerous.  It is spending £8m on players like Bielek plus salary that does the harm, as it is not far off gate receipts per season for one player and when adding in a whole team gets very expensive.

At £350k plus salary per season (double?) annualised is not too bad.  The issue is only if we go down and it then looks less rosy.

Agree 100%. This level of fee in the Championship is nothing to worry about considering the funds we should have available to us. That’s the point I was making that people shouldn’t panic.

I think years of financial mismanagement by Mel have left people terrified of spending any money at all. £1.5m is absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of fees paid in the Championship - and we have to spend some money to be able to compete. Not obscene amounts which put the club in danger, but enough to be competitive. The deals we have made so far fall into the latter category - and we have the funds to make them given we’ve had additional unexpected income from sell on fees this window.

59 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

There is no way we will get demoted from the Championshipwith all this money we are spending on players.

What are the odds for the Rams,promotion and Demotion

49 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Agree 100%. This level of fee in the Championship is nothing to worry about considering the funds we should have available to us. That’s the point I was making that people shouldn’t panic.

I think years of financial mismanagement by Mel have left people terrified of spending any money at all. £1.5m is absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of fees paid in the Championship - and we have to spend some money to be able to compete. Not obscene amounts which put the club in danger, but enough to be competitive. The deals we have made so far fall into the latter category - and we have the funds to make them given we’ve had additional unexpected income from sell on fees this window.

And, particularly in the case of Kenzo and Jacob (easier to spell), if they do well they’ll have a decent sell on fee should we need to sell them, hopefully not!!  There’s a difference between £500k - £1m on players in their early to mid-20’s than £3m on players over or approaching 30.  Shackell, Johnson and Butterfield still bring me out in cold sweats!!  And none were needed!!

One thing Warne seems to be good at finding is decent keepers, majority of those he signed at Rotherham have got moves either large financially or gone on to upper championship/prem. 

liking the approach though, fees mainly being reserved for international transfers that are likely to either be worth it over the course of a contract or we sell on for profit at a later date. 

international transfers tend to attract future international transfers also, ie if Kenzo plays exceptionally well, can see some of the european big boys sniffing around if not the usual Dutch teams like PSV and Ajax. Makes it better for future bidding wars.

21 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

And, particularly in the case of Kenzo and Jacob (easier to spell), if they do well they’ll have a decent sell on fee should we need to sell them, hopefully not!!  There’s a difference between £500k - £1m on players in their early to mid-20’s than £3m on players over or approaching 30.  Shackell, Johnson and Butterfield still bring me out in cold sweats!!  And none were needed!!

Absolutely, and that’s a very important point. Whilst I’ve obviously never watch Goudmijn or Zetterström play (so they could be complete disasters) - at the very least I’m more impressed by our recruitment strategy than I have been in the past. 

Previously we were very lazy, just signing whichever players had done well the season prior on highly inflated fees - the sort of scouting most on this forum could have done! We’ve taken a much more imaginative approach this window, looking abroad for players other teams may not have considered where there are bargains to be had. Like you say, signing younger players is also very important, as you are much more likely to recoup the fee you spent (and maybe even some profit on top!) when you sell them. 

Overall, much more impressed with the recruitment strategy this summer. Time will tell on how good our scouting is - but at the very least we’re now FINALLY putting the effort in. Kudos to the new head of recruitment, the lazy approach under Mel was the worst part of his running the club imo (and so easy to fix!)