Jerry Yates - signed on a season-long loan

Heisenberg

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Jerry Yates is a decent player, who can play anywhere across the front. He signed for Swansea last season, for a few million and has been playing and scoring goals. I would assume on good wages. Swansea were a heavy rotational side last season, so I wouldn't read too much into his disjointed playing time - Lowe and Yates were the top scorers and both made double digit appearances from the bench. He also scored 14 goals for a relegated Blackpool side the season before, which is a very healthy return. 

Not sure why they would loan him out, makes little sense to me. I usually like the information out of Football Insider but this just seems very odd. 

I'm guessing that he doesn't fit with Luke Williams heavy possession style of football, having been signed by Michael Duff who's playing style is much closer to Warne than it is Williams.

Worth noting that Yates was brought in to replace Piroe who had been Swansea’s main man for the past two seasons. 

Clearly Yates didn’t hit the same heights, ironically Piroe isn’t that well thought of at Leeds. 

But maybe Swansea are judging him by their standards and not by a team who currently only have Washington and Brown as their strikers…

Yates is a player who like to be on the shoulder of the last man. Runs in behind and is a threat on the counter. He reminds me of Shane long in that respect.

There is no better time to buy or loan a striker then when they are out of form. Sounds strange but if he was on the back of his Blackpool season we would be having to pay the 2.5mill swansea did to get him. Now we can get him on loan as he hasn't hit the heights they hoped he would.

Get him confident and play to his strengths then we could have a goalscorer on our hands. Forget what happened at Swansea he was signed by another manager playing a totally different system.

He may not look like someone we can hang our hopes for 20 goals on and the lazy ex rotherham gags will be there, but if you have limited finances and need to be clever in the market then he will be a big yes from me.

Not sure what people are expecting or why they have an issue with this signing: 

-Championship experience with goals 

-athletic

-presumably no massive outlay has been made as a loan signing 

-27 years old 

if there’s some expectation that we will sign a high scoring championship striker I think everyone will be disappointed. Expect we will also have a big ‘lump’ of a striker lined up also

15 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Not sure what people are expecting or why they have an issue with this signing: 

-Championship experience with goals 

-athletic

-presumably no massive outlay has been made as a loan signing 

-27 years old 

if there’s some expectation that we will sign a high scoring championship striker I think everyone will be disappointed. Expect we will also have a big ‘lump’ of a striker lined up also

Agree. Sounds solid

49 minutes ago, KBB said:

Yates is a player who like to be on the shoulder of the last man. Runs in behind and is a threat on the counter. He reminds me of Shane long in that respect.

There is no better time to buy or loan a striker then when they are out of form. Sounds strange but if he was on the back of his Blackpool season we would be having to pay the 2.5mill swansea did to get him. Now we can get him on loan as he hasn't hit the heights they hoped he would.

Get him confident and play to his strengths then we could have a goalscorer on our hands. Forget what happened at Swansea he was signed by another manager playing a totally different system.

He may not look like someone we can hang our hopes for 20 goals on and the lazy ex rotherham gags will be there, but if you have limited finances and need to be clever in the market then he will be a big yes from me.

Good point about us usually buying high on players in years gone by - don't need to begin to list any.

Realistically, some need to be aware of the position we're in, where we've come from and what the aim actually is this season. This is much more of a "Nigel Clough Recruitment" era than what followed, as a comparison.

This lad will be good, but we still need more attacking options - which I'm sure Warne knows.

This seems like the kind of signing we’re going to have to be making for a while and I’m afraid people might have to get used to it; relatively cheap or loans, people not necessarily at the top of their game but hopefully with some potential/track record which we can bring out of them, not really big names, but plenty of experience. Solid but perhaps not particularly inspiring or exciting signings.  Like a pair of sensible shoes. Not flashy. Not expensive. Bit boring maybe (but if we save the pennies on a few of this type of signing maybe there will be some pocket money left for that nice pair of Nikes they’ve had their eye on).

Enough for us to be competitive, build sustainably, not get into any financial grief and provide a solid foundation.  

I’m not going to be running around the garden with my jumper over my head if we sign this chap, or Osborn, but not going to be upset or worried either. Tis what it is. And you never know, he might hit his peak with us and bang 20 goals in and this time next year we’ll be begging Warne to sign him permanently.

Edited by LazloW

I think this season may suit Warne's style of play more for us as we're much better on the counter attack. Last season we struggled when teams just sat deep which i dont think will happen to often this season, not at the start of the season anyway.

With the pace of Yates, Washington, NML, CBT & Barkhuizen we do look well set to be a counter attacking team. We probably need another forward & wide man to compliment the above plus some energy & creativity in midfield.

22 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I think this season may suit Warne's style of play more for us as we're much better on the counter attack. Last season we struggled when teams just sat deep which i dont think will happen to often this season, not at the start of the season anyway.

With the pace of Yates, Washington, NML, CBT & Barkhuizen we do look well set to be a counter attacking team. We probably need another forward & wide man to compliment the above plus some energy & creativity in midfield.

Do you think Washington will get game time this season? I am hoping he is loaned out to free up some wages or preferably sold.

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Do you think Washington will get game time this season? I am hoping he is loaned out to free up some wages or preferably sold.

I'm hoping the same thing. Think Yates is just a much better (and younger) version of Washington. I'd take any deal you can get for Washington.

26 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

"Needs to play in a 2 up top" isn't filling me with confidence, but from my experience most Swansea fans don't know their posterior from their elbows so I'll take it with a bucket of salt.