UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

I was mainly watching the Germany - Switzerland game, which was full-on. The Germans scored an equaliser that would have graced a League 1 game. Classic "Varne-ball" for sure.

21 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Why? If a player is yellow-carded in the 2nd and 3rd matches in this round, where's the punishment?

Because it's desperate football where you might need to take a cynical foul for the team just to get you through to next round.

It not like league football where you have measures to clamp down on clear consistent offenders. 

Argh, I feel bad for the fans, especially those who've travelled to the games. I think they could have approached the tournament differently, but to be honest, I haven't see much attacking intent from us yet either. They and we, simply have to suck up the pressure and be braver and this will have been another chastening experience, especially for the younger lads. 

15 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

NGL pretty annoyed right now.

Going to sulk on the F1 thread.

I would be. We’re here complaining how dull England are, yet Scotland had a grand total of 3 shots on target across the 3 games.

All of which came in one game.

152 years of international football without reaching the second round of a major tournament. Impressive. Most impressive…..

Meanwhile, our lot have phoned it in for two games and are effectively already through with a game to spare.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

NGL pretty annoyed right now.

Going to sulk on the F1 thread.

Trying to put myself in the shoes of a Scotland fan. I'd be most annoyed that the team never really went for it. 

The Germany game? Meh. It happens. But the other two? Played both like a team scared to lose and I'm not sure why. Scotland had nothing to lose from this tournament. Treated Switzerland with too much respect and then seemed to have such confidence coming from nowhere to beat Hungary. Terrible approach imo. 

I wanted Scotland to go through even if it's just because Switzerland are the equivalent of playing Blackburn away on a Tuesday night. 

He's not a happy chappy.  Although to be fair, I'm not sure I've ever seen the miserable sod smile.

I didn't care either way whether Scotland qualified or not (although its nice to see them keep their impressive never getting out of the group record 😛 ) and tbh you've seen those penalties given, but imho over the 3 games they weren't good enough to get out of the group and they have gone home.  Que sera, sera

28 minutes ago, maxjam said:

He's not a happy chappy.  Although to be fair, I'm not sure I've ever seen the miserable sod smile.

I didn't care either way whether Scotland qualified or not (although its nice to see them keep their impressive never getting out of the group record 😛 ) and tbh you've seen those penalties given, but imho over the 3 games they weren't good enough to get out of the group and they have gone home.  Que sera, sera

For the most part, they weren't good enough to get out of bed by the looks of it.

Off topic this, but it seems wrong that Germany have hosted a World Cup and Euros since England last hosted a major tournament. I don’t count 2020 as that was Wembley only.

The World Cups in particular have just been an excuse to build stadiums and develop. 

England was never chosen as there was no grubby money or laundering to be done. 

VAR what is it good for...absolutely nothing.

Scotland may have been poorish in the 3 games, But so have we in the 2 games ☺️, How in the name of William Wallace was that not a penalty.

I swear the Argentinian referee thinks Scotland is part of England and the Falkland Islands should be the Malvinas 😁, And the Spanish VAR assistant doesn't want Gibraltar back 😉 

Edited by Ram-Alf

34 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

VAR what is it good for...absolutely nothing.

Scotland may have been poorish in the 3 games, But so have we in the 2 games ☺️, How in the name of William Wallace was that not a penalty.

I swear the Argentinian referee thinks Scotland is part of England and the Falkland Islands should be the Malvinas 😁, And the Spanish VAR assistant doesn't want Gibraltar back 😉 

We were very good during qualifying, injuries impacted and we kind of ran out of steam comming into the tournament, you have to remember our first choice striker out injured is a championship level player ,

disapointing but had we got through we would have even more depleted with the loss of tierney and then mc Tominay suspended, all in all it’s disappointing but also that’s two recent finals we have now qualified for so Not all bad , your teams your team , worst ever prem points tally has never stopped me being derby through and through 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied