Punching above our weight. What do you think would elevate us above mid table next season?

Posted (edited)

Parachute payments income aside, we should still be a mid-table Championship team next season, just based on crowds and income. Obviously we're not an established Championship side now, after being relegated. We're not going to do " an Ipswich ", but we should be able to hold our own in this League.

My personal take is to buy wisely on speculative young talent. To take us forward, we need to take risks on upcoming prospects. Gone are the days of "ageing stars". Been there, done that. I'd settle for an improving team in this league. But don't do ourselves down - with good management and careful spending, we should, at least not be troubling the relegation positions.

I think we need to take advantage of young Premier League loanees - and speculative talent from the lower leagues. Also, despite PW's less than illustrious record in this league, I'd argue, cut him some slack. Rotherham, most likely had the smallest budget on the occasions he got them there.

We can't afford " Billy Big B******s " transfer fees or wages. We'll most likely have to wheel and deal. Maybe even sell Cashin or Dejaune at the top of the market to fund expansion. But, I do think, with our huge financial recalibration, we'll operate smarter. We have to. We don't have the big bucks anymore.

I'm expecting  a mid table end position next season. But obviously wanting more.  I'm wanting us to recruit like the Brentford of a few years ago. But will we?

Now every £ is sacred, will we spend wisely? I hope DC's influence will spend every penny carefully.

Do you think we can spend intelligently enough in this new financial reality to easily cement ourselves in this league next season?

Edited by Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster

Think goals is the most valuable commodity in football, if we found a prem loan who just caught fire. Like a tammy Abraham at Bristol city. Even Harry Wilson for his time. Think scored 20 for us.

turning defeats into draws and draws into wins when not playing great is how you pinch above your weight.

combine that with a steady defence which I think we all hope we have.

the other thing I’d want is options, have nine subs. Having three or four players that can come on and affect a game is huge if pushing for a goal.

I agree. We have a solid defence. Whilst not being the best defence in the new, higher league, I still think it'll be solid.

I'm quite disappointed that Oxford got promoted because I think we could have signed Brannnigan had they not got there. But I agree, midfield is the key. Hopefully Adams +3 would upgrade us massively, plus 2 quality strikers, most likely Premier League loanees as we can't afford that calibre to sign on a transfer fee.

We need to spend carefully, with a huge emphasis on future resale value.

Wheeling and dealing seems to be the only way to attempt to compete with parachute payment clubs.

3 hours ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

Parachute payments income aside, we should still be a mid-table Championship team next season, just based on crowds and income. Obviously we're not an established Championship side now, after being relegated. We're not going to do " an Ipswich ", but we should be able to hold our own in this League.

My personal take is to buy wisely on speculative young talent. To take us forward, we need to take risks on upcoming prospects. Gone are the days of "ageing stars". Been there, done that. I'd settle for an improving team in this league. But don't do ourselves down - with good management and careful spending, we should, at least not be troubling the relegation positions.

I think we need to take advantage of young Premier League loanees - and speculative talent from the lower leagues. Also, despite PW's less than illustrious record in this league, I'd argue, cut him some slack. Rotherham, most likely had the smallest budget on the occasions he got them there.

We can't afford " Billy Big B******s " transfer fees or wages. We'll most likely have to wheel and deal. Maybe even sell Cashin or Dejaune at the top of the market to fund expansion. But, I do think, with our huge financial recalibration, we'll operate smarter. We have to. We don't have the big bucks anymore.

I'm expecting  a mid table end position next season. But obviously wanting more.  I'm wanting us to recruit like the Brentford of a few years ago. But will we?

Now every £ is sacred, will we spend wisely? I hope DC's influence will spend every penny carefully.

Do you think we can spend intelligently enough in this new financial reality to easily cement ourselves in this league next season?

Quality loans, as you say, are the answer IMO.

Another group like Mount, Wilson and Tomori would see us finish some way further up the table than we would otherwise expect.

9 hours ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

Attendances don’t determine league position. Otherwise, Sunderland would have made automatic promotion (or at the very least the play offs) and Bradford wouldn’t be in league 2.

Look at the season finish of teams below 6th.

image.thumb.png.2ae096ade8aefd489d2cc95855235c9e.png

Only really Hull put much of a late run together. Coventry bombed and were only 9 points off 6th. Likewise PNE were in with a shout until they plummeted.

Of course we can get above mid table next season. But recruitment and season game management will obviously be crucial.

19 hours ago, Scott129 said:

Another group like Mount, Wilson and Tomori would see us finish some way further up the table than we would otherwise expect.

But it's just a sunk cost in terms of loan fees and wage contributions.

We're not building anything and a few extra places in the championship table doesn't mean a lot in terms of prize money does it?

There seem to be multiple topics on this sort of theme, so apologies if this has been covered before, but I know that Warne struggled with Rotherham in the Championship whenever he got them promoted

Was that because he faced a similar issue of having built a squad designed to compete in L1, which then was largely dismantled at the end of the season?

27 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

There seem to be multiple topics on this sort of theme, so apologies if this has been covered before, but I know that Warne struggled with Rotherham in the Championship whenever he got them promoted

Was that because he faced a similar issue of having built a squad designed to compete in L1, which then was largely dismantled at the end of the season?

Was it, or maybe it might be that a squad built largely for league one and not dismantled? 

On 20/05/2024 at 01:17, Scott129 said:

Would be interesting to find out how much the likes of Chelsea pay their kids a week nowdays , £20k ? Also how much do they ask for as a fee , for a season , £5 mill ? 

37 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Would be interesting to find out how much the likes of Chelsea pay their kids a week nowdays , £20k ? Also how much do they ask for as a fee , for a season , £5 mill ? 

Good question and I have no idea. It would be interesting to know, for example, how much Dylan Williams is currently on at Chelsea. He would have been on "pennies" here.

I bet there is also quite a big difference between wages of those on the books of United/Chelsea, and those from the likes of Bournemouth/Fulham.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Was it, or maybe it might be that a squad built largely for league one and not dismantled? 

The last 2 seasons he got promoted, Rotherham made profits on both player sales against purchases and in operating costs. I would expect that this coming season we won't be expecting either.

I would expect the DC will back a small net outlay on players and will cover 'reasonable' losses over the next 12 months, a totally different scenario to what PW has faced previously. How he will cope with this situation is anybody's guess, as he has never been in that situation before.

I dont see us as mid table! I see it as anything but relegation this first season! Im all for ambition but my worry is this first season will not be pretty, itll be about surviving and building for the following season! Dont want some fans to start booing after a few games because they think we should be mid table and were sitting in the relegation zone 🙈