Pre season

12 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Centre back an interesting one, will they be a starter or to provide cover to cashin and Nelson.

think we all agree a left back needed.

Striker of quality I think what can take us up a level. Goals from nothing are a huge thing.

Not too stressed on the keeper issue, seems confident and is obviously going to address it.

Midfield looks decent, be interesting who the starting three are

He said he doesn’t want to sign a centre back just for the sake of it he wants one who will provide real competition to what we have.

Im starting to think the loan we’ve sorted is a left back as he has stopped mentioning the want for a left back. Also @SECornerRAM mentioned a left back was in and could be done on loan. 

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The CB is a difficult one as they need to be good enough to start in a back 3 alongside Cashin and Nelson, but also be content enough to sit on the bench when it's a back 4. We need a player capable as RCB in a back 4, as we only really have Nelson who can play there. Cashin, Bradley and Forsyth all comfortable on the left.

Warne previously stated wanting another 8/10 - presumably to compete with Goudmijn. I'm not sure where that leaves Fornah, as he'd be 7th choice CM.

Could possibly be a 10 who can also play wide, cover a couple of positions

fornah by all accounts played well today, think is minutes for anyone who plays well consistently. Will be injuries and suspensions throughout the season.  Wouldn’t be shocked to see him move on though. Personally rate him above Thompson but I seem to be in the minority.

20 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Could possibly be a 10 who can also play wide, cover a couple of positions

fornah by all accounts played well today, think is minutes for anyone who plays well consistently. Will be injuries and suspensions throughout the season.  Wouldn’t be shocked to see him move on though. Personally rate him above Thompson but I seem to be in the minority.

I'm only going off what Warne himself said "10/8". No doubt the winger we're after can also play in a central position as well though.

Fornah is an 8 who wins the ball back, wins his aerial battles, and drives forward on the ball. Thompson also drives forward on the ball but doesn't do as much of the defensive stuff. On the other hand, he gives the ball away less, and plays better attacking passes meaning he creates slightly more chances for his teammates. There isn't much in it between the two overall  but when you have someone like Ozoh or Adams as the anchor, the more advanced midfielders need a higher attacking contribution that what Fornah provides.

1 hour ago, HorsforthRam said:

Ozoh looked class. Osbourne and Kenzo did well. Fozzie his usual self. We will need to keep the ball better when under pressure. Coming back for too easily form a defence that can’t find midfield and no hold up strikers …

It's like a summat out of Trumpton...

Ozoh, Ossie, Kenzo & Fozzie!

😁

Well what a load of tosh that was. Fancy beating a La Liga side and being fairly comfortable. Now I haven'y got anything to moan about! Still, there's always next season's friendlies!

Seriously though, they was a bit of all right. Decent opposition, and we didn't look out of place. And yes, we have seen a ref just as whistle happy, 'cos it was the same bloke who reffed the home match against Port Vale, and he was even worse in that one!

I am happy because we turned midfield into occupied territory instead of no-man's land. And moved the ball well through. Here's hoping! The difference was when Warne got Ozoh to play further forwards, with Osbourne sitting deeper. Much, much better. And his goal made him look like a striker - it was really well poached! 

The substitutions took our momentum away, and we went into "hold what we have" mode with all those minutes still to play. But we can't have everything all in one go - at least we have discovered that midfield really exists, and that is exciting!

Ozoh and Knzo look a level above, so hopefully we have signed them for next season. Overall, very happy, with more players to come, hopefully before the season ends!

Edited by DavesaRam

13 minutes ago, SSD said:

I think teams predicted to finish in the relegation battle need a quality player to get them to safety. David Ozoh I think will be that guy. No wonder Paul Warne keeps mentioning him. Championship Vieira.

I said that watching the match... Vieira-esque.  

Similar to Bellingham too in that he seems bigger and more athletic than everyone else without being 'bulky'.

Good touch, can drive,  cultured... Young lad so can't be expected to perform like that every week but he was a class above today. 

Kenzo seems skillful but hard working too. 

Add the keeper, a left back,  a center back with pace, another striker and a bit more creativity and we could surprise a few people.

Much better today, especially 2nd half with Wilson and Fozzy driving us forward.

Toothless first half so still concerned with us scoring next week,  but players win you matches and we seem to have got recruitment right this time.

Edited by Chester40

I felt that was a really pleasing performance, to be honest. I can project that central midfield will be the strength of our team next season and felt that was a weakness last season - until Ebou came in and addressed the balance anyway.

I can see the benefits of really good, thorough recruitment. I get the sense the potential of our play just looks significantly improved from last season and whilst I’m not predicting anything outstanding, in terms of a promotion push, do feel we will be competitive and with a few more additions of the same quality will be able to avoid any relegation concerns. 

3 hours ago, Thameram said:

Look better with bradley and fozzie on the field

Fozzie, yes. Bradley - absolutely not for me. I’m honestly not one for singling out players but I think he’ll be horribly exposed this season if he plays, especially in a back 4.

Given the performances in most of the other preseason games, that was extremely satisfying. The goal aside, we defended pretty well throughout against a team with good passing and movement and who pressed intensely when they saw the possibility of a turnover. Both sides perhaps lacked a dominant striker. The way we forced both goals was encouraging though and the midfield in particular pressed effectively, particularly in the second half. By the end, only two players from the original 11 were still on the pitch, but we saw the game out fairly comfortably. Get those additional signings in that Warne has mentioned and my level of optimism will improve enormously from last weekend.

I enjoyed it today, it was great to be back at PP. Ozoh looks a class above, if he plays at that level we’ve pulled off quite the coup getting him in. He was properly celebrating his goal and seemed to really appreciate the love from the crowd as he walked off. Kenzo did some very tidy work, as well as one bit of skill on the touchline that got everyone excited! I like the look of him.

I thought the shape looked pretty good and the players seemed to know their roles. We looked fit enough as well. We very much need a no.9 and to get the keeper in. Warne sounded very frustrated with that situation post-match.

We could probably do with another week of pre-season, but every team could probably say that. Bring on Blackburn.

Just now, Kinder said:

Kenzo did some very tidy work, as well as one bit of skill on the touchline that got everyone excited! I like the look of him.

Early signs are that Kenzo has a touch of quality yet doesn't mind a bit of physicality either. He could prove to be a very good signing! I'm hoping he can add some goals to his game over time as whilst our midfield now looks our strongest area, there isn't a history of goals from any of them really, notwithstanding Ozoh's goal today.

11 minutes ago, Kinder said:

Fozzie, yes. Bradley - absolutely not for me. I’m honestly not one for singling out players but I think he’ll be horribly exposed this season if he plays, especially in a back 4.

Just being honest in my opinion…. I just don’t rate Bradley either… a liability this season i think. Agree, will be exposed . Terrible when has the ball and needs to pass it out from the back…. Short square or back pass (often to a player who has the opposition right on them) , followed by the pointing and gesturing to other players to do what he was just unable to do…

3 hours ago, Thameram said:

Look better with bradley and fozzie on the field

Fozzy is so intelligent. He anticipates and reads the game. Still has a big part to play this season. Bradley ? Love him in the box defending corners and at the other end causing mayhem. Just not sure he has the pace and reaction to cope with the other stuff.