Match Thread: vs Portsmouth (a)

For tonight I hope we play 4-3-3, listening to Portsmouth fans and watching them, to get anything out of them we will need legs in midfield and to press hard from the front to win.

I’d go with Wildsmith in nets with, Wilson, Nelson, Cashin and Sibley across the back 4 as that’s 2 full backs good on both sides of the ball and scary for opposition on the counter, which will be our best chance of scoring tonight.

A midfield of Smith, Adams and Thompson would be a well balanced three with lots of hard work and energy aswell as quality on the ball. Tommo always seems to do better against teams who like to have the ball I’m thinking of that first season he broke through aswell as his appearance away at Peterborough this season and his half v Bolton a couple weeks ago.

This would also allow Mendez to play on the right where I think he’s best. With Wilson behind him overlapping it’ll let him drift inside when he wants to and get on the ball. Up front I’d play Washington simply for his pressing and then bring Collins on at half time, if he can play a full half. Lastly then CBT can play on the left and hopefully carries his form on from Friday. Pompey fans have said he always has a good game against them so let’s give him freedom down the left and try get his first derby goal. 

I’ve got a horrible feeling tonight will be very similar to Ipswich away last season, where we just didn’t lay a glove on them. Gayle, Barks, Nyambe, Forsyth and Bird would’ve made a world of difference too and you could argue that they’d all be starting if fit. Although I will say despite my pessimism if we do nick a goal we’re as likely as anyone to see it out, so who knows. 

Up the rams. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Expect the same 11 as againsy Blackpool, playing man for man in the middle (Adams, Smith and Mendez-Laing)

Don't you think Collins will start?

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

@Comrade 86 The back 4 has proven good all season, when used, when Bradley's ban is over, IMO, he can expect to warm the bench again. JJ has been said to be a possibility before the end of the season.

From yesterday's  DCFC Official pre-match team report:

image.thumb.png.01906ba28d89ee4233670b2785c814e4.png

I do like the back 4 over a 3/5 but let's not forget how much of the 4's success was based on Nyambe's excellent form. We have no like for like IMO but I don't think Wilson will let us down.

Edited by Comrade 86

25 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

For tonight I hope we play 4-3-3, listening to Portsmouth fans and watching them, to get anything out of them we will need legs in midfield and to press hard from the front to win.

I’d go with Wildsmith in nets with, Wilson, Nelson, Cashin and Sibley across the back 4 as that’s 2 full backs good on both sides of the ball and scary for opposition on the counter, which will be our best chance of scoring tonight.

A midfield of Smith, Adams and Thompson would be a well balanced three with lots of hard work and energy aswell as quality on the ball. Tommo always seems to do better against teams who like to have the ball I’m thinking of that first season he broke through aswell as his appearance away at Peterborough this season and his half v Bolton a couple weeks ago.

This would also allow Mendez to play on the right where I think he’s best. With Wilson behind him overlapping it’ll let him drift inside when he wants to and get on the ball. Up front I’d play Washington simply for his pressing and then bring Collins on at half time, if he can play a full half. Lastly then CBT can play on the left and hopefully carries his form on from Friday. Pompey fans have said he always has a good game against them so let’s give him freedom down the left and try get his first derby goal. 

Have Derbyshire signed Wildsmith 😉🏏

31 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Full back positions have been a problem for us. Have seen so many goals conceded when teams have played into that gap...oppo

winger gets hold of ball and sends in cross..header at far post. Achilles heel. Only hint I'm going to give you guys!

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Both Max and Dwight are on the mend; I think Max is expected to be back in a game or two, while Dwight's prognosis is not so clear,

Will miss Max greatly when he’s gone but if Ward Wilson Adams Smith and Tommo stay fit I’m not sure I’d bring him back as a starter in our remaining games 

58 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

From yesterday's  DCFC Official pre-match team report:

image.thumb.png.01906ba28d89ee4233670b2785c814e4.png

I do like the back 4 over a 3/5 but let's not forget how much of the 4's success was based on Nyambe's excellent form. We have no like for like IMO but I don't think Wilson will let us down.

Although we didn't have Nyambe last season when playing a back four gave us a good run. IIRC we had Smith at right back during that period. It is quite possible that playing a back four bring us success because playing a  back four is successful!

3 hours ago, Seth's left foot said:

Wildsmith

Ward Nelson Cashin Sibley

Adams Smith

NML Wilson CBT

Collins

Let’s take it to them and show the fans that we want the title. 

Wilson can't operate in tight areas. He needs to receive the ball in space or 1 on 1 

Crikey I’m nervous - not just tonight but for the next 5 games.  I think we’ll need an extra body in midfield so I’d bring Thompson in, maybe for NML as he’s had a knock recently.  Ward and CBT in the wide positions and Collins up front, if he’s fit enough.

With yesterdays results we have to go for it, playing for a draw doesn’t tend to end well.  And PW, his staff and players keep talking about trying to catch Portsmouth.  If that’s the aim, and why shouldn’t it be, we have to try to win.

COYR 🐏.

1 hour ago, NickPFC said:

Full back positions have been a problem for us. Have seen so many goals conceded when teams have played into that gap...oppo

winger gets hold of ball and sends in cross..header at far post. Achilles heel. Only hint I'm going to give you guys!

Oh no!  Wingers crossing - that’s not part of our game at all!  Please don’t tell your manager!!  We play everything through the middle. 

11 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Crikey I’m nervous - not just tonight but for the next 5 games.  I think we’ll need an extra body in midfield so I’d bring Thompson in, maybe for NML as he’s had a knock recently.  Ward and CBT in the wide positions and Collins up front, if he’s fit enough.

With yesterdays results we have to go for it, playing for a draw doesn’t tend to end well.  And PW, his staff and players keep talking about trying to catch Portsmouth.  If that’s the aim, and why shouldn’t it be, we have to try to win.

COYR 🐏.

What happened yesterday 😉

5 minutes ago, Bessie1 said:

Oh no!  Wingers crossing - that’s not part of our game at all!  Please don’t tell your manager!!  We play everything through the middle. 

LOL!!!!!! So......0-0 it is...deal? Our weaknesses match yours......I wish it were 22.00 right now....on edge!

My ex wife ACTUALLY said after a home defeat.....'It's only a game'.....aaaaarrrggh!