Match Thread: vs Northampton Town (a)

58 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I struggle to remember a time I’ve been so incensed by a performance or a result. I feel absolutely conned for finally allowing myself to believe in Derby County in their current form. I felt physically sick at the performance from the first 30 minutes that I just wanted to remove myself from watching the game. It was a disgusting display. A horrible game. I watched the Mansfield and Colchester game before hand and both of them were MILES ahead of what I had to endure in that first half. 

Warne fell upon a system with Gayle upfront and it all started to click, when you see the performance today it’s apparent that he knows what he wants to achieve but doesn’t have a plan on how to achieve it. Gayle was an easy solution at the time, I’m sure all things being well that he wouldn’t have signed him. Today really played out all my worst fears - I’m just glad that I was able to monetise us not winning promotion whilst we sat in our best situation. I have absolutely no faith in this team and less so in the manager to find a solution. 

I like him as a person, I even find his management and coaching not without merit, but why waste the best part of £10m on keeping an category one academy when you have such a short-sighted approach in the first team. It makes no sense to me. If we fail this season, there is absolutely not way he can remain as the Derby County manager for the next rebuild. Get him gone. 

Todays winner. Spot on.

1 hour ago, Seth's left foot said:

The players were poor, some of them had stage fright? NML has been run into the ground by the looks of it.

Two great chances missed in the first half, that would’ve obviously changed the game.

Warne: Again found out tactically, waited until the 60th minute to change it after we could’ve been 2-0 down.

Thompson playing as a 10 when CBT is on the bench?

Its time to stop playing Sibley with Elder fit, he’s not good enough.

Hourihane is a difficult one, he has the experience and is generally good at set pieces but his legs have gone and I don’t think he’s suited to away games. 

Blackpool and Pompey will show us what Warne is made of, injuries or not there’s still some quality at his disposal. 

Sibleys not done much wrong, Should be played further up though, probably as that 10 seeing as we have no forwards who can shoot on target or avoid offsides now. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

No it isn’t. Assess it at pretty much whatever percentage you want but it wasn’t 100% Warne’s fault and 0% the players.

It seems you agree “our defending was shocking for the goal”. What that Warne’s fault?

I’m not sure why you’re bringing the ref into the debate. I don’t think it was his fault and never said it was.

At this stage of the season Warne should know how to get the best of the team. That doesn't rule out an off-day, but it should rule out off-days of this magnitude, and of this frequency. The biggest issue is that he got us reverting to hoofball, which hasn't worked whenever we've tried it, and strangely enough it didn't work this time, either. So we got him pre-match blathering on about the threat Northampton offered, and that we would have to defend with our lives, and clearly set up in fear of them, when with our comparative league positions and current form they should have been scares witless of us. Hourihane has told us that if they don't play the way Warne tells them then they get dropped. So today's tactics have to be on him. And when, as a bunch of players you know you can do better, and are being forced against what you know will work, is it any wonder that they looked, to be frank, hacked off at times?

And I brought the ref into it because he really was poor. If he had given the free kick for the blatant foul on Wilson, and the card that should have followed, Northampton wouldn't have broken away and scored, then our terrible defending would have mattered, or actually even taken place. So effectively he did cost us the game, but I would never make that claim, because it was our shocking defending that cost us the game. But the ref did nothing about the timewasting even before the goal, or Northampton stealing 5 - 10 yards and more for every throw and free kick, but was actually quite hot on Derby players for their throw-ins. And although Sibley deserved his yellow, maybe if the ref had given the free kick and yellow for the foul on Sibley immediately before he got his revenge, then that yellow card for Sibley wouldn't have happened. Or an offside on CBT after he had run through from the middle of a group of players before the ball was played.

But my main reason for pointing out the ref's abject performance, and why I didn't include the detail i have just given, was to highlight the fact that Derby County' performance was even worse.

I do think we are giving Northampton a tad too much credit and tolerance for their tactics. For me their s**t housing was outrageous. Never seen a home team in the same league employ time wasting to that extent which simply disrupted any continuity in the game. The referee's tolerance for it was typical of this league but he simply didn't do anything when they continued to do it. Ok they won but if we were guilty of that I would be ashamed. Disgruntled fan on way back from match.

Fridays line up is going to be interesting.

Assuming NML is out then for me, 

Wildsmith 

Ward     Nelson     Cashin     Elder

Smith     Adams 

Sibley

Wilson Waghorn   CBT

Not great but should be enough to beat a number of teams in this division. 

That said, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Warne go 3 at the back again (not sure who’d fill that 3rd CB berth, maybe Elder shoehorned in) and include Hourihane.

Edited by Ramarena

3 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

At this stage of the season Warne should know how to get the best of the team. That doesn't rule out an off-day, but it should rule out off-days of this magnitude, and of this frequency. The biggest issue is that he got us reverting to hoofball, which hasn't worked whenever we've tried it, and strangely enough it didn't work this time, either. So we got him pre-match blathering on about the threat Northampton offered, and that we would have to defend with our lives, and clearly set up in fear of them, when with our comparative league positions and current form they should have been scares witless of us. Hourihane has told us that if they don't play the way Warne tells them then they get dropped. So today's tactics have to be on him. And when, as a bunch of players you know you can do better, and are being forced against what you know will work, is it any wonder that they looked, to be frank, hacked off at times?

And I brought the ref into it because he really was poor. If he had given the free kick for the blatant foul on Wilson, and the card that should have followed, Northampton wouldn't have broken away and scored, then our terrible defending would have mattered, or actually even taken place. So effectively he did cost us the game, but I would never make that claim, because it was our shocking defending that cost us the game. But the ref did nothing about the timewasting even before the goal, or Northampton stealing 5 - 10 yards and more for every throw and free kick, but was actually quite hot on Derby players for their throw-ins. And although Sibley deserved his yellow, maybe if the ref had given the free kick and yellow for the foul on Sibley immediately before he got his revenge, then that yellow card for Sibley wouldn't have happened. Or an offside on CBT after he had run through from the middle of a group of players before the ball was played.

But my main reason for pointing out the ref's abject performance, and why I didn't include the detail i have just given, was to highlight the fact that Derby County' performance was even worse.

OK. Have your way. The players did absolutely nothing wrong and can put any poor defending, missed passes, failure to create and convert any chances etc. entirely down to Warne. 

I don’t agree with throwing players under the bus but I find it bizarre to suggest they were completely blameless for today’s poor performance.

1 hour ago, Eatonram said:

The most depressing thing about days like today is not the performance which was awful but the fans reaction to it. 
Promotion is won over a season. At Bristol we looked like a promotion team. This day we looked bottom half. That’s why overreacting to either game is ridiculous. But the “pitchforks out” reaction after every game we lose is just soooo tedious and it’s always the same people. 

The reaction is sheer frustration from knowing that there is no need for us to play with those tactics. Hoofing the ball long at every opportunity does not work. It has never worked for us, and it didn't today. Going back to "whack it wide and lob it into the box, in the hope that Northampton will score an own goal" didn't work. All Northampton had to do was crowd our two wing backs out and the threat is gone. Our only threat was Wilson, because they hadn't figured out with us using the wing-back system our left back would actually try and attack them. And playing two in midfield doesn't work, and hasn't all season, so making it one and a half men in midfield by putting Hourihane there is even worse. it is Warne's tactics. Who was it that said "The definition of stupidity is repeating the same thing that doesn't work in the hope that next time it will"? 

I hope to goodness we haven't totalled our chances of automatics, because we sure as hell won't make it through the play-offs. We probably wouldn't even get to Wembley.

Did anyone else notice the first Northampton corner, the ball was almostc a foot out of the quadrant.

Not a game changer in itself, but completely in line with all the shithousery of Northampton. The ref was fcuking useless.

Despite all the above, we deserved nowt.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Thought I’d have calmed down by now. Nope, still furious.

You f****** load of bottlejob imbiciles 

You seem to be forgetting. It’s not the players fault but ENTIRELY down to Warne and his tactics. 😉

Just now, Tamworthram said:

You seem to be forgetting. It’s not the players fault but ENTIRELY down to Warne and his tactics. 😉

It’s a combination of both.

Warne’s tactics today were so wrong it’s unreal. And his subs were even worse.

But the effort shown by the players… f*** me. I was about to have a f****** seizure I was that mad in the crowd. People clapping them off. Not a f****** chance, absolutely disgraceful performance 

10 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

Bottle jobs….

I've heard this saying since the early 70s, I'd sooner call it "lack of strength of character" Our Captain in Hourihane isn't what I'd call inspiring, Our giant centre half lost what bottle he had, Other than that I see a squad out there today...leaderless.

We have no spine and when I say that it's strength right down the middle of the team, Adams who's been pretty good since he signed can't do it all himself, I've seen their goal...wow, Our CH playing right back...ball comes to a player on his own, Hits it 1st time and our keeper is flatfooted and we're 1-0 down, Still chances were there...easier than the one Northampton had...but we failed to take them.

Injuries are now piling up, Thank fcuk we hopefully have Collins back on Friday otherwise I see it like this.

Blackpool 1 pt

Portsmouth 0 pts

Wycombe 1 pt

Last 3 games our injuries should be OK...so I'll go with this

Orient 3 pts

Cambridge 3 pts

Carlisle 3 pts 

So 89 points...it's gonna be close 😬

Listened to the Northampton manager on the way back from the game . He said they had 10 players out , 2 cried off this morning. They didn’t look like a team with nothing to play for . Many fans around me questioned the Desire of our lads . Are they panicking about the step up to the Championship ? We didn’t look like a team good enough to play in that league .

Horrible game.

Just nothing went right. Bradley was so poor today,  won't be missed on that showing.

No intensity,  no guile... I've been defensive of Warne's tactics but today there really was too much aimless hoofball.

Passing across the back 3 to wing backs who were as deep as a full back would be.. launching it when we didn't really have out and out wingers who could take advantage.  Sloppy passing. 

And brain-meltingly bad ref-ing. Pathetic s**t-housing, diving, staying down etc that was appallingly handled by the ref.

Another really bad performance, similar to a few others. When we are bad,  we are abject.

Needs a massive change for the next 3 difficult games.

6 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

I've heard this saying since the early 70s, I'd sooner call it "lack of strength of character" Our Captain in Hourihane isn't what I'd call inspiring, Our giant centre half lost what bottle he had, Other than that I see a squad out there today...leaderless.

We have no spine and when I say that it's strength right down the middle of the team, Adams who's been pretty good since he signed can't do it all himself, I've seen their goal...wow, Our CH playing right back...ball comes to a player on his own, Hits it 1st time and our keeper is flatfooted and we're 1-0 down, Still chances were there...easier than the one Northampton had...but we failed to take them.

Injuries are now piling up, Thank fcuk we hopefully have Collins back on Friday otherwise I see it like this.

Blackpool 1 pt

Portsmouth 0 pts

Wycombe 1 pt

Last 3 games our injuries should be OK...so I'll go with this

Orient 3 pts

Cambridge 3 pts

Carlisle 3 pts 

So 89 points...it's gonna be close 😬

Think you’re being generous. No way we get a point at Wycombe and can easily see a draw at Cambridge if we play like we did today. No more than 86 points I think.