v Charlton Athletic (H) Match Day Thread

Kernow

3 minutes ago, jono said:

First 20 mins ok, set piece and Cash goal, nice. Bird and Cash standout players … as for the rest of the game ?

Horrible horrible horrible. Head tennis, poor passing, the lack of basic ball control from so many players was embarrassing. 

Silly mistakes lost us that .. but was Joe outside the box when he fouled their man ? I guess I  must have black and white glasses but he looked to be at least a foot outside his area at the moment it happened ? And their No 33 was a dirty cheating sod. However, none of that excuses the limited skills on show tonight. Need to get it sorted for Saturday. We are better than this. 

I saw it on Sky before the penalty was taken and was genuinely surprised when Earnshaw said here comes the penalty. 

But lo and behold, amidst the tumultuous tempest of the match, Derby’s best centre back found himself out of position, stationed not in the heart of defense where his prowess was most needed, but rather on the flank, a position unfamiliar and ill-suited to his considerable talents. The decision, like a misplaced comma in a sonnet, left spectators scratching their heads in bewilderment.

And as the clock ticked on, the stage was set for a spectacle of managerial antics. Warne, the tactician at the helm of Derby’s destiny, orchestrated a symphony of substitutions that befuddled the senses. Bizarre choices, akin to a chef adding chocolate to a savory stew, left observers questioning the very fabric of reality.

P.G Wodehouse match report.

47 minutes ago, Rambam said:

His substitutions seem to me like a lucky dip. 
He clearly hasn’t got a clue. And that leaves us with a team who don’t know what they’re doing either. 

I never understand the point of making a tactical, attacking, substitution with only 6 minutes remaining. CBT didn't do much but, to fair, he barely had time to get his boots dirty.

1 hour ago, MickD said:

Not me.  Wildsmith is a whiner, fakes injuries, and another brainless decision today.  Never liked his attitude.

I don’t think. I let’s dis too much wrong. Not as commanding coming for crosses as Wildsmith. It a good shot-stopper and more lively with his distribution.

12 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Serious Question.  Cashin was very good.  I just saw Bird passing back and side and losing his player on three occasions when he very slow off the mark.  What made him stand out. ?

Agreed.

Cashin was very good. Smith was OK. I'll let Gayle off given it was his first start and he didn't get any decent service (sounds familiar) and CBT barely had enough time to get his boots dirty. But the rest? 

Managers and players make mistakes and have bad nights. Tonight Warne and the players were culpable of that. It’s part and parcel of football. Every team has a wobble. This is ours.

The question is whether Warne and the players can recollect themselves and show their mettle. We can’t afford a repeat of last season’s run in where we tripped up horribly.

Warne really needs to set on an XI and put some faith behind it. At the moment, he seems to be experimenting and seeing what sticks and that is a concern 35 games into the season, even considering all of the injuries.

The players also need to stand up and be counted. They are making the kind of errors and missing quality and nerve, which backs up the thinking this is not a top two team.

However I think tonight shows that it will be a long eight weeks for everyone in the mix. We won’t be the only ones to drop the ball and have off-nights. There are going to be twists, turns, trips and falls and the picture will change dramatically game after game.

We need to see a big response and rebuild momentum. We can’t keep giving the teams around us lifelines. Barnsley and Peterborough will feel buoyed after tonight and Portsmouth are beginning to look out of sight.

All that being said, I don’t get the calls for Warne to be sacked though. It’s plainly unrealistic and unachievable. Some simply have to buckle up and enjoy the ride because our fortunes are going to fluctuate from week to week and while everything is still up for grabs, Warne still has time to learn from mistakes and put things right.

There is still so much life in the season and there’s ample opportunity for us to bounce back. Tonight was a setback but a big win v Port Vale gets us right back on track.

32 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Serious Question.  Cashin was very good.  I just saw Bird passing back and side and losing his player on three occasions when he very slow off the mark.  What made him stand out. ?

Because he can control a ball, tried to link with Gayle and passed with at least a semblance of accuracy. Mind you it didn’t take much to stand out tonight

Noticed NML had both legs taped up, other than a little spell in the last 5 and the corner he struggled again today. With other wingers on the bench surely bringing him on as an impact sub and giving him a deserved rest would've been wise tonight.

40 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

But lo and behold, amidst the tumultuous tempest of the match, Derby’s best centre back found himself out of position, stationed not in the heart of defense where his prowess was most needed, but rather on the flank, a position unfamiliar and ill-suited to his considerable talents. The decision, like a misplaced comma in a sonnet, left spectators scratching their heads in bewilderment.

And as the clock ticked on, the stage was set for a spectacle of managerial antics. Warne, the tactician at the helm of Derby’s destiny, orchestrated a symphony of substitutions that befuddled the senses. Bizarre choices, akin to a chef adding chocolate to a savory stew, left observers questioning the very fabric of reality.

P.G Wodehouse match report.

wade wilson deadpool GIF

Hmmmm….

Reading through the thread I’m confused…we played a back 4 and stayed as a back 4 after Nyambe went off with Wilson slotting in at RB.

Changed to a 5 when chasing the game.

Dom D was corrected on this by PW in his interview so maybe RD got the formation wrong in commentary ?

Cashin was excellent at LB. 

The style of football in the first half was certainly easier on the eye than recent games with attempts to play passing football and we benefited from having a 9 on the pitch - just didn’t think we were that good at it.

Dire 2nd half. Charlton were awful in the first half and we managed to make them look like teachers playing against 12 year olds after the break.

Goals not PW’s fault and I get that he’s juggling game time with injuries but you could see an equaliser coming an absolute mile off - Nathan Jones was horribly whingy and negative to his players in the first half and I thought it’s no wonder they’re not playing for him….but he obviously delivers a decent half time team talk.

Ref was awful but got the pen correct. 

47 minutes ago, jono said:

First 20 mins ok, set piece and Cash goal, nice. Bird and Cash standout players … as for the rest of the game ?

Horrible horrible horrible. Head tennis, poor passing, the lack of basic ball control from so many players was embarrassing. 

Silly mistakes lost us that .. but was Joe outside the box when he fouled their man ? I guess I  must have black and white glasses but he looked to be at least a foot outside his area at the moment it happened ? And their No 33 was a dirty cheating sod. However, none of that excuses the limited skills on show tonight. Need to get it sorted for Saturday. We are better than this. 

We sit in north east corner, and we all thought it was outside the area also.

Gayles deft touches showed class and he’s still getting up to full fitness so I get that substitution. Nyambe injury, if that’s serious we could be up proverbial poo creek . If we can get Collo back sooner that would be a huge lift. NML did look absolutely goosed.

Roll on to Darren Moore’s first W with Port Vale….did I say that, are we all thinking that. 
what year is this who’s the president ? Arggghh 

Oh. My. God.

They hadn't won in ages, we're second and at home...why not attack them?

Keep the best centre half in the league at centre half?

An appalling game of league one thud and blunder football, refereed weakly, and gifted by grotesque errors. Repeat of Saturday in many regards.

Bradley had two goes at clearing before he got roasted for the equaliser, and he nearly got caught in possession a few times. 

Not getting into the Warne thing, but I don't think I can commit to 23 more turgid episodes of that sort if we don't get out this time. When's the last time we were properly entertained? Oxford away? At home? Genuinely can't recall.

Cash MoM, Smith, Nyambe and Adams had a pop. There weren't many more could claim to have earnt their wages.

Very, very, very pissed off.