Barnsley FC v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

59 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

I thought it was a close game, that was won by two good goals and agree with Warne that it should have been a draw. I was thinking before the match that this was probably our toughest fixture we have left to play.

I thought that all 3 goals were down to poor defending.

Bradley had just shown what he could do, only seconds before, but was given too much space.

Their first was a fortunate break from Adam's tackle, but then we stood off their players allowing an easy cross, followed by a weak free headed clearance which just happened to fall perfectly for their striker, if it had gone 3ft to the left or right, he would have had to control it and get closed down. It was a good strike though, I was right in line with it and as soon as the ball sat up for him, I feared the worse.

For their second goal, we were very sloppy in the lead up to the corner.

51 minutes ago, Foreveram said:
1 hour ago, plymouthram said:

I thought it was a close game, that was won by two good goals and agree with Warne that it should have been a draw. I was thinking before the match that this was probably our toughest fixture we have left to play.

Top of the league Portsmouth away ?

They have not impressed me this season, had a few dodgy penalty awards. Scored in Fergie time when you wonder where they found all them extra minutes added on. They had a bit of a wobble in Dec/Jan and I feel they will have another one. I just feel in front of their home fans the players will freeze when Derby play them.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Same as last tear then? When they directed both sets of fans into each other on the same route away from the stadium? Dod we get any young crackheads turn up by train absolutely pie-eyed like last year?

A small group of Derby youngfellamelads appeared in rambunctious debate with members of His Majesty’s after seemingly taking exception to the bon voyage administered by their Barnsley brethren just outside the ground. Then a small group of peeler reinforcements viciously nudged their way through the assembled mass at the station entrance without even an ‘excuse me dear boy’ to no doubt deal with a few rascals on the outbound platform. Other than a little impatience at being corralled I didn’t see anything else of major concern.

23 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

A small group of Derby youngfellamelads appeared in rambunctious debate with members of His Majesty’s after seemingly taking exception to the bon voyage administered by their Barnsley brethren just outside the ground. Then a small group of peeler reinforcements viciously nudged their way through the assembled mass at the station entrance without even an ‘excuse me dear boy’ to no doubt deal with a few rascals on the outbound platform. Other than a little impatience at being corralled I didn’t see anything else of major concern.

thumbs up then!

1 hour ago, DiggerB said:

Was this written by P.G Wodehouse?

1 hour ago, DiggerB said:

Has the next match thread started. If not, please do it in this style!

20 hours ago, DB83 said:

We are second in the league with a great chance of automatic promotion. Fans who are going to spend the remaining matches slating our players and calling for the manager to be fired are not welcome at Pride Park for the rest of the season as far as I’m concerned. I’d rather have a crowd of 15,000 that is wholly supportive than a crowd of 27,000 where 12,000 (your figure) are actively hoping for us to lose so that they have another chance to boo the team and manager off at the end of the game.

What a load of old crap.  No-one wants Derby to lose.  As I suggested, occasional frustration means their more likely to want their team to do well than you.  

And why wouldn't he be missed.  Perhaps he takes a couple of people to the match who may not get there otherwise.  Perhaps he has a mate he goes with who doesn't get out  other than a match day.  Maybe he sits near a total stranger who likes to have a chat.  They'd miss him .  It's not just about 11 blokes kicking a ball it can be more than that.  You keep sitting on your sanctimonious better than than others soapbox though and keep clapping like a sea lion at feeding time for 95 minutes even if it's dreadful.

I said 5000 by the way.

12 hours ago, MaltRam said:

Just third division football, IMO.

I think you’re right. We get all techi about coaching, style, set up, philosophy whatever. Yet in the end so much more important is individual ability to consistently control the ball, pass accurately and anticipate situations. The level of those depends on what league you are in. We are where we are and play like it. 

23 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Very similar to the Stevenage game and several others recently. Going to be a bumpy ride till the end of the season . Most disappointing was the passing by our best midfield players - certainly not Championship level.

Agreed, but I would add that the defending could have been better. Particularly the 1st goal where Phillips was given too much time and space. Then again, it's typical of the general inconsistency of players in the 3rd tier. 

6 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

A third didn't attend though? I know it was a Tuesday night but that sounds like a staggeringly high number and is almost too insane to believe. 

Thinking about our block in the West lower which is all season tickets and mostly people that have been going for 10+ years I'd say that for a game against mid to lower end of the table opposition on a cold Tuesday night somewhere between 20% and 30% wouldn't bother.

28 minutes ago, NOTSA74 said:

Thinking about our block in the West lower which is all season tickets and mostly people that have been going for 10+ years I'd say that for a game against mid to lower end of the table opposition on a cold Tuesday night somewhere between 20% and 30% wouldn't bother.

It wasn’t that cold, none of the players had gloves on.

15 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Failure” is a powerful word. If we don’t get promoted then PW will have “failed” against his personal hopes and expectations, so he’d obviously be disappointed, but he may not have “failed” against his chairman’s medium term expectations or the expectations laid out to him upon appointment.

In assessing the manager there is one question and only one: is he getting the players at his disposal performing to their potential ?
A different question is: if he doesn’t, will the chairman sack him ? 

I don’t think he gets the best out of this team. And I don’t think he’ll be sacked any time soon 

8 hours ago, NOTSA74 said:

The low attendances were for the “Nobody Cares” Cup matches!

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

In assessing the manager there is one question and only one: is he getting the players at his disposal performing to their potential ?
A different question is: if he doesn’t, will the chairman sack him ? 

I don’t think he gets the best out of this team. And I don’t think he’ll be sacked any time soon 

I disagree. In assessing the manager the much more important question, from the chairman’s perspective, is “is he achieving the goals for which I appointed him?”

A different question is “if he hasn’t yet, at which point do I decide whether to sack him or not?”

Only DC and PW know if he is on still on track to achieve his objectives within the timescales set. One thing we do agree on though is that I also don’t think he’ll be sacked any time soon.