Barnsley FC v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

8 hours ago, NOTSA74 said:

Thinking about our block in the West lower which is all season tickets and mostly people that have been going for 10+ years I'd say that for a game against mid to lower end of the table opposition on a cold Tuesday night somewhere between 20% and 30% wouldn't bother.

We must be more hardy where I sit then in the East Stand. I’d say nearer 10%.

14 hours ago, NIGHTMARE said:

Should always go for a beer or some food after the game if travelling by train. Let the mouthy dick heads pretend to be hard gobbling off at rival fans and plod, cram into the first 3or4 trains, then you can relax on the later trains with access to the piss pot and seat . 

Our group of 12 left on the 8.29 to Sheffield/Barnsley, when we arrived in Barnsley a local copper met us off the train and said we wouldn’t be allowed in any pubs in Barnsley and advised us where to go. We walked into the town centre and straight into the local Wetherspoons no problem at all. We were in there for about 4 hours with a mixture of rams and Barnsley fans with no trouble at all. After the game we walked back into the town centre to watch the end of the England/Scotland rugby. We left  about 8ish and got the train back no problem. It sounds like we made the right decision regarding the trains 

1 hour ago, Henrycav81 said:

Our group of 12 left on the 8.29 to Sheffield/Barnsley, when we arrived in Barnsley a local copper met us off the train and said we wouldn’t be allowed in any pubs in Barnsley and advised us where to go. We walked into the town centre and straight into the local Wetherspoons no problem at all. We were in there for about 4 hours with a mixture of rams and Barnsley fans with no trouble at all. After the game we walked back into the town centre to watch the end of the England/Scotland rugby. We left  about 8ish and got the train back no problem. It sounds like we made the right decision regarding the trains 

We got the 10.29 out (drank in Sheffield) and one around 8.30pm back. Again, no problems getting in pubs in Barnsley after the game, much as last season. Plod seemed fairly relaxed for SYP to me.

15 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I've been to every home league game this season and I've not seen any crowd less than circa 24k but mostly it's at least 26 to 27k.

I think your figures are incorrect for the reasons stated by others.

And you are free to think what you like, but unless you counted every person in the crowd I’ll go by what club execs told me, and which formed the basis for discussion in a work environment, I imagine they have a far better idea than you. Why would they lie?

10 hours ago, NOTSA74 said:

Thinking about our block in the West lower which is all season tickets and mostly people that have been going for 10+ years I'd say that for a game against mid to lower end of the table opposition on a cold Tuesday night somewhere between 20% and 30% wouldn't bother.

About time we moved the football season to Summer for the fans who don’t like the cold. Good job they don’t have to go to matches in Scotland . Running total on the crowd , 26k ? 

16 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

A third didn't attend though? I know it was a Tuesday night but that sounds like a staggeringly high number and is almost too insane to believe. 

I suspect another factor was Halloween - and given how ridiculously Americanised and over-hyped that day has become in recent times - I suspect there were a lot of our younger supporters missing and at Halloween parties or dragging their parents round the streets knocking on strangers doors asking for treats…..which still baffles me…..364 days a year don’t talk to strangers but for that one day a year it cool and you can accept their sweets!! 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Ps. I’m not a fan of Halloween in case you were in any doubt! 🤣

1 minute ago, Dava75 said:

I suspect another factor was Halloween - and given how ridiculously Americanised and over-hyped that day has become in recent times - I suspect there were a lot of our younger supporters missing and at Halloween parties or dragging their parents round the streets knocking on strangers doors asking for treats…..which still baffles me…..364 days a year don’t talk to strangers but for that one day a year it cool and you can accept their sweets!! 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Ps. I’m not a fan of Halloween in case you were in any doubt! 🤣

PS - sorry for continuing this non-Barnsley v Derby related content! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by Dava75

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

And you are free to think what you like, but unless you counted every person in the crowd I’ll go by what club execs told me, and which formed the basis for discussion in a work environment, I imagine they have a far better idea than you. Why would they lie?

I remember seeing a 16k crowd when we played Huddersfield first game of the administration season and going by what I've seen on the highlights there looked like a fair few more there than that game. The numbers the exec has cited just don't sound particularly realistic to me. Your source may not have been lying necessarily but he may also have either misunderstood some information or just been exaggerating. It happens and a lot of people do that, especially if they are frustrated in their work life. 

22 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I thought the same about their CB. He’s clearly not a gifted ball player and is there primarily to head and clear the ball. We were content to let him have the ball, aware that he wasn’t going to play a dangerous ball forward. But by not pressing him we simply allowed him to play a simple ball to someone else with more ability.

Very fine margins. I’m not sure we’d batter them at home but I wouldn’t fear them in the play offs.

Yeah it was very odd. I'd say based on what I saw it wouldn't surprise me if we beat them again 3-0 at home if we got them in the playoffs. Definitely potential for it to happen but we'd need to be on our game a little more than we were on saturday.

We do seem to have a problem with players "switching off" in certain situations. You always value those players who are alert to danger, but I think we've a few who are prone to 'freezing' at key moments. Both goals on Saturday could have been averted had certain players reactions been maybe only a second quicker. That's more a mental issue than a physical one.

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

There were times at the Baseball Ground when Keith Loring would decide what the attendance was. I think for the Crystal Palace promotion game the reported attendance was several hundred less than the numbers through the turnstiles as the actual number was more than the official capacity.

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

We got the 10.29 out (drank in Sheffield) and one around 8.30pm back. Again, no problems getting in pubs in Barnsley after the game, much as last season. Plod seemed fairly relaxed for SYP to me.

We got in on the 12.38 and headed straight to ‘spoons to be told “home fans only, mate”. Plan was to stay for a later train but was ready to get home, so we left straight after.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

We do seem to have a problem with players "switching off" in certain situations. You always value those players who are alert to danger, but I think we've a few who are prone to 'freezing' at key moments. Both goals on Saturday could have been averted had certain players reactions been maybe only a second quicker. That's more a mental issue than a physical one.

Both Bradley and Hourihane were slow to respond after the Barnsley cross came over, but there was more to the goal than that.

Cashin's defensive header was shocking  and Kane shouldn't have backed off the Barnsley player who crossed the ball. That said, whatever mental slowness they might have had, both Hourihane and Bradley are also physically slow.

8 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Both Bradley and Hourihane were slow to respond after the Barnsley cross came over, but there was more to the goal than that.

Cashin's defensive header was shocking  and Kane shouldn't have backed off the Barnsley player who crossed the ball. That said, whatever mental slowness they might have had, both Hourihane and Bradley are also physically slow.

Was gutted Hourihane waltzed back into the team for this reason. Speaking to the resident Barnsley fan at work this morning and he confirmed what he had heard off of multiple Derby fans this season in that he can't move anymore.

25 minutes ago, DRBee said:

As good as the shot was for their first goal, there was a great deal of good fortune about it.

The ball could have gone anywhere after Adams tackle, but it went straight to their player. Likewise, Cashin's header could have deflected a couple of degrees left or right, gone a few feet more or less, but it happened to sit up perfectly for their goalscorer. If somebody had tossed the ball to him from a few feet away, he couldn't have had it any easier. Barnsley appear to be having the rub of the green atm.

34 minutes ago, DRBee said:

TBF to Bradley, you'd expect your midfielder to be charging out to the Barnsley player, but Hourihane barely reacted.