Barnsley FC v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

Think we got cup finalled by Barnsley today

Filled their stadium, got their fans riled up, made the most of the home advantage and we shrank into ourselves under the pressure in our biggest game of the season so far

But Barnsley also caught us at a bad time, we’re without a striker and Gayle wasn’t ready to start. That doesn’t excuse the headless passing but we’d have made more of our chances with Collo playing today. It was still a fairly even game.

We’ll have a similar situation at Pompey so we need to learn from this and get a result there to make up for today. We also need to make sure we’re the ones ‘cup finalling’ Bolton when they come to town.

Stopping the calls for the head of a manager who’s clearly not getting sacked would be a good start. 

48 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

That's Italian goalkeepers for ya 😁

My mate got a life ban for saying Morris was a w*****, and he bribed some of the admins with sausage sandwiches lol. But I thought we deserved a point today, great support from the Derby away fans again, just a pity we did not get something out of the game. 

Edited by DerbyAleMan

2 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Exactly this. We never dominate teams or impose an identity. Warne sets us up with so much fear it gives every team we play a chance, even if they shouldn't have one. Because of this I'm never really that shocked when we lose a game, even though it doesn't happen often.  

Been saying this all season. People only seem to notice when we lose though

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Ok just got in from friend's 50th birthday afternoon tea and know nothing as no reception or wifi at venue - was it bad?

Not bad, but disappointing. 

They were a strong team, we got brushed off the ball too easily, our passing was off. They pressed very well - and it seemed to unsettle us. 

They looked beatable early doors, a bit jittery themselves but we never really pushed on after our goal.

I'm not a big fan of NML down the middle, Hourihane was lightweight in midfield (though his early deliveries were good.) 

Despite this, we more than matched them for attempts on goal, but they scored a great goal from a clearance, where was the defensive midfield? 

Then a header that looped over Wildsmith. 

One or two of our players were carrying injuries sustained during the game, we really don't seem to be having much luck on that front lately.

Or in front of goal - some poor decision making in the final third.

I hope we return to a back four on Tuesday, we looked far more balanced after Nyambe came on. But of course by then we were chasing the game and they defended their lead well.

1 hour ago, enachops said:

I have no complaints with Warne playing 3 at the back today. Bradley was decent last week and it would have been harsh to drop him. He defended well again today. Maybe Sibley could’ve played LWB as Elder is too defensive for that position, but after last week it was understandable for him to play higher. I thought Sibley was like the old Sibley for the first half hour too, harrying everything until he hurt his foot.
We are just so toothless up top for obvious reasons. 2 sloppy mistakes cost us, but there was very little in the game and they barely troubled us either. My main issue was the start of the second half, we were terrible. The passing was appalling, from everyone. Wildsmith included. Also, Wilson gets into some great positions but he has to deliver more once there. A frustrating one. 

An excellent summary of today, and how I saw it too 👏.

Some consolation despite a disappointing result and very disappointing performance - when I got home I checked my predictor which has us finishing top on goal difference (I think I may have been a little over optimistic). All the results were as I predicted except 1) I didn't expect Bolton to lose so badly and 2) I had Portsmouth down for a win.

Just a question for those watching on RamsTV - did us or them win the toss? 

Seemed a strange decision to turn us round, Wildsmith really struggled with the low sun second half and of course, we fans weren't able to encourage our attacks in the same way.

I'd have thought Barnsley would have preferred to attack their own end second half, too? 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Just a question for those watching on RamsTV - did us or them win the toss? 

Seemed a strange decision to turn us round, Wildsmith really struggled with the low sun second half and of course, we fans weren't able to encourage our attacks in the same way.

I'd have thought Barnsley would have preferred to attack their own end second half, too? 

I looked up in time to see Hourihane signalling 'switch around' but I'm not sure if that meant we won the toss or not. 

3 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

What a STUPID, STUPID, STUPID fiotball club.

Has anybody told them that we are supposed to play football.

If by some sheer fluke we scrape through the play-offs I will not be going to Wembley. They players don’t deserve it

What a stupid, stupid, stupid spelling of football. Joking aside we are all bitterly disappointed with that performance and result today but you seriously wouldn't miss watching the boys at Wembley, would you?

I'm presume that is an emotive post that you will later regret.  If not can I be the first to ask for your season ticket details so I can bag myself a Wembley ticket if needs be. 😉

33 minutes ago, angieram said:

Not bad, but disappointing. 

They were a strong team, we got brushed off the ball too easily, our passing was off. They pressed very well - and it seemed to unsettle us. 

They looked beatable early doors, a bit jittery themselves but we never really pushed on after our goal.

I'm not a big fan of NML down the middle, Hourihane was lightweight in midfield (though his early deliveries were good.) 

Despite this, we more than matched them for attempts on goal, but they scored a great goal from a clearance, where was the defensive midfield? 

Then a header that looped over Wildsmith. 

One or two of our players were carrying injuries sustained during the game, we really don't seem to be having much luck on that front lately.

Or in front of goal - some poor decision making in the final third.

I hope we return to a back four on Tuesday, we looked far more balanced after Nyambe came on. But of course by then we were chasing the game and they defended their lead well.

Thanks Angie

Think the tone is overly negative.

We have been way more terrible and won games. 

Tight first half and it seemed to be prime-Warneball when we went 1 up.

Slow out to block their shot and its 1-1. Even game.

First 10mins of the 2nd half we were awful. Couldnt pass to each other.

Then started to get a grip and went behind to what feels like yet another slack marking error.

Warne made changes.  We piled forward and couldn't quite create a clear chance. 

Draw would have been the fair result and a decent point.

Thought the defence was solid again. Niambe looked great when he came on. Sibley was decent. Wilson was hot and cold. Adams a workaholic. 

Hourihane was ok.  Bird and NML seemed out of sorts.

Wildsmith's kicking was atrocious. 

Gayle and Barks didn't make a huge impact.

Two winnable... and must win games coming up.

54 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Think we got cup finalled by Barnsley today

Filled their stadium, got their fans riled up, made the most of the home advantage and we shrank into ourselves under the pressure in our biggest game of the season so far

But Barnsley also caught us at a bad time, we’re without a striker and Gayle wasn’t ready to start. That doesn’t excuse the headless passing but we’d have made more of our chances with Collo playing today. It was still a fairly even game.

We’ll have a similar situation at Pompey so we need to learn from this and get a result there to make up for today. We also need to make sure we’re the ones ‘cup finalling’ Bolton when they come to town.

Stopping the calls for the head of a manager who’s clearly not getting sacked would be a good start. 

Don't think anyone is calling for Warne to be sacked now,it's too late,we have to go with with him for now.i for one don't want another season with him in charge promotion or not

2 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

Warne has made us a difficult team to beat but we are pretty woeful on the ball given the players at his disposal.  How many chances do we create from open play?  We've been bang average in possession for weeks now so I don't think there is a lot of credit to give to Warne for our attacking output.

Despite that we are 2 goals behind the top scorers in the division who just 8 weeks ago were the best team to ever visit Pride Park and certainties for promotion.

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Thought warne hit the nail on the head with his post match comments. Gave away possession far too much and their pressing was very effective.

We were well in the game and individual errors, switching off at set pieces cost us. There was hardly anything in the game, draw would have been a fair reflection of the game but fair play to Barnsley they got over the line. Too many players off it for us, some not helped by having to be played out of position (Mendez-Laing). Bird off it, Wilson really poor until he came alive last 20 mins when freed of his defensive duties, Adams is a brilliant destroyer in midfield but poor with the ball. Not having a striker has hurt us in these two games, seen enough of Gayle to think he’ll get goals, if Mendez clips that ball into Gayle coming in from the left instead of shooting Gayle scores, Mendez cut in at the end instead of using Wilson on overlap, poor decision. 

Two very winnable home games now, time for us fans to play our part again like we did against Stevenage. 

Still think we can get this done and over the line and enjoy a proper rebuild in the summer free of restrictions.

But you hit the mail on the head there.

Stop playing NML upfront/inside. Put him back where he is more effective…. On the wing.

Elder is absolutely not a wing back. He’s the most ‘stand still’ player in the club. I mean - even if you’re not going to our pace a defender, make a run to create space for someone else. He’s an atrocious player.

However fundamentally we have three centre backs, a left wing back playing left back, two holding midfielders and we wonder why we can’t make an offensive pass and keep hold of the ball.

Excluding Gayle when he came in, I think Sibley tried a couple of times to make a run through (but he needs selling in the summer, where is the Sibley who burst into the scene with the Man Utd/Blackburn games) but for those who said we are Ok, what game were you watching?

The sky highlights show Cashins header off the line, the goal and Birds dragged shot….. thats because that is all we had. 90 minutes of football - three attempts. Sweet jesus.