Derby v Stevenage FC - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

And the mind games have begun...Ladies and Gentlemen I give you...Steve Evens

And the former Leeds United boss, who has already begun the mind games ahead of the trip to face the Rams, feels Derby fans have the ability to influence decisions.

"When we go to Derby, we just need a fair crack," he said. "We don't need big things to go against us because there are 27,000 or 28,000 Derby fans who get them a decision.

"They are going to try. I've been there with teams and they are a brilliant, vocal, home support. I don't know who the referee is, I've not looked, but he has to be strong."

Of course you don't Steve...it's...Thomas Kirk...as you full well know 🙄

As much as I don't like Steve Evans I admire the way he goes about his job and what he has done at Stevenage. His pre match routine must include a check list that has 'put pressure on the ref' on it.

I also recall him doing the same before our away game there in October with the report then little different to now: 'Stevenage boss Steve Evans is "afraid" of what kind of referee will be in charge of their game against Derby County this Saturday (3pm kick-off) as the mind games began ahead of the League One clash.'

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-steve-evans-referees-885826.

During the match it felt as if his mind games worked, as Washington was taken down from behind in the penalty area when shaping up to shoot. No penalty given and it was 2-1 at the time.

There was some debate about the penalty given against Forsyth who tackled their player in the penalty area, got the ball, but a penalty was given.

All he needs to do is put that little seed of doubt in the ref's mind when big decisions come up like this, and job done.

Wildsmith

Nyambe      Nelson     Cashin      

Wilson    Adams         Hourihane   Sibley

Bird

NML                 Barkhuizen

A bit harsh on Elder but I'm sure he'll come on at some point

59 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

And the former Leeds United boss, who has already begun the mind games ahead of the trip to face the Rams, feels Derby fans have the ability to influence decisions.

"When we go to Derby, we just need a fair crack," he said. "We don't need big things to go against us because there are 27,000 or 28,000 Derby fans who get them a decision.

"They are going to try. I've been there with teams and they are a brilliant, vocal, home support. I don't know who the referee is, I've not looked, but he has to be strong."

Refereed us twice - lost both. The reverse fixture against Stevenage, and the 2-0 defeat away to Loncoln when a fairly don't penalty was awarded against Knight.

1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

I looked it up as having the same ref as for the away game there in October would finish me off. Looks like it's not Kirk but Tom Reeves with Michael Webb and Danny Jarvis and Fourth Official Marvyn Amphlett.

However Evans has a huge beef Reeves with had a pop at him only a couple of months ago. Very poor preparation on Evans' part not knowing who the ref for the game is on Saturday, and what a coincidence he's recently had a run in with him.

https://www.thecomet.net/sport/23963735.steve-evans-blasts-horrendous-penalty-decision-cup-tie/

47 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

I looked it up as having the same ref as for the away game there in October would finish me off. Looks like it's not Kirk but Tom Reeves with Michael Webb and Danny Jarvis and Fourth Official Marvyn Amphlett.

However Evans has a huge beef Reeves with had a pop at him only a couple of months ago. Very poor preparation on Evans' part not knowing who the ref for the game is on Saturday, and what a coincidence he's recently had a run in with him.

https://www.thecomet.net/sport/23963735.steve-evans-blasts-horrendous-penalty-decision-cup-tie/

We've only had him once - the Bristol Rovers game earlier this season which CM9 scored in, followed by a NML last minute winner assisted by Fornah.

I think he's been one of the better refs we've had in League 1. However, he has given 3 red cards and 4 penalties in his 11 L1 games this season.

51 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

Yes sorry WKR and @Ghost of Clough Google sent me to the Stevenage fixture from last October.

Lets hope Mr Reeves has a good memory aye ☺️

8 hours ago, angieram said:

Memdez-Laing didn't say 10 wins when, though, did he? Could have been for a set period that we are partway through.

True… but clear inference seemed it was 10 to the end the season to ‘get us to where want to be’. So that’s maybe 2 losses and the balance draws ??

Horrible manager is Evans- and not only are his comments mind games but also really an indication that they want and intend to play physical (dirty).

Having said that, I do expect Stevenage to come at us looking for a win (with one eye on our dodgy home form). I honestly believe we would do better if we played like when away and use the counter attack game…

4 hours ago, angieram said:

Yes, he did. It's all a bit tedious and you'd think refs wouldn't fall for it. But then seeing some of the refs we've had this season.... 

in reality knowing the refs we get, not just this season, he didn’t need to say out. Every Stevenage player has been sent a free 90 pass for committing GBH with no recompense courtesy of the EFL.