Derby v Stevenage FC - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Hopefully a bit of kidology going on. Does Warne have a tactic for playing with no strikers? Or do we just stick Bradley up there? 🫣

I reckon the best option if Washington and Waghorn aren’t ready (which seems likely) is play NML or Barkhuizen through the middle with Wilson or Sibley filling their spot out wide 

12 hours ago, angieram said:

Mendez said something in his interview about being set a target of 10 wins, I think?

9 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Right at the start, "All we can do is keep winning. The gaffer's given us a target of 10 wins and that's another one ticked off." Which suggests that Exeter wasn't the first win of the 10 targetted by Warne.

Oh dear. As I posted originally, unless Warne's target to the players is higher, this sees us in the playoffs as it takes us to 90 points, plus the odd draw. That won't be enough. The season-long form of Portsmouth and Bolton would take them to 96 and 95 points, respectively. 

I must admit I've not seen much of Stevenage, I kinda assume they're very physical because Evans is.... Whatever he is 

I wonder if we'd set up specifically for the fight, if we do I expect 3 at the back with SB coming in. Sibley is always up for a scrap too if Elder is out 

with the injury doubts & Stevenage playing 2 upfront I can see it being the following - 

Wildsmith - Nelson Bradley Cashin - Wilson Thompson Adams Sibley - Bird - NML Barkhuizen

Loach Nyambe Ward Smith Fornah Fapetu Weston

Chances are that 1 of Hourihane, Elder, CBT & Collins will be fit enough to at least make the bench, probably ahead of Fapetu

36 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Oh dear. As I posted originally, unless Warne's target to the players is higher, this sees us in the playoffs as it takes us to 90 points, plus the odd draw. That won't be enough. The season-long form of Portsmouth and Bolton would take them to 96 and 95 points, respectively. 

It's very disappointing to here PW has set the players such a target. Why do it? why not, as the saying goes, "take it one game at a time" and have a target of winning each game as it comes along?

I have been, and remain, largely supportive of Warne but this doesn't sound like the smartest thing to have said to the players even if in his own mind he thinks 10 wins will be enough.

44 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

What are you doing to me @Owen87ITK?! 😭 

Hopefully Collins playing on isn't the same as when Winnall did 😬 Elder is an odd one as he played the full game, and Hourihane looked fine when he came off.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see more games like Exeter for the foreseeable (less pressing high up the pitch, but press in our defensive 3rd). Cashin only just returned to the squad after having a tight hammy, Adams is cramping up, etc

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Hopefully Collins playing on isn't the same as when Winnall did 😬 Elder is an odd one as he played the full game, and Hourihane looked fine when he came off.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see more games like Exeter for the foreseeable (less pressing high up the pitch, but press in our defensive 3rd). Cashin only just returned to the squad after having a tight hammy, Adams is cramping up, et

Elder got clattered late on if I remember right, maybe he's struggling as a result of that challenge?

If Nyambe and Collins are fit and Hourihane, Elder and CBT out then I'd go:

Wildsmith

Nyambe       Nelson      Cashin          Sibley

Adams

Thompson      Bird

NML                 Collins            Barkhuizen

(Thompson/Vickers, Ward, Bradley, Wilson, Fornah, Smith, Weston)

Edited by Rampant

6 minutes ago, Rampant said:

If Nyambe and Collins are fit and Hourihane, Elder and CBT out then I'd go:

Wildsmith

Nyambe       Nelson      Cashin          Sibley

Adams

Thompson      Bird

NML                 Collins            Barkhuizen

(Thompson/Vickers, Ward, Bradley, Wilson, Fornah, Smith, Weston)

If Vickers is still injured then Loach will be the keeper on the bench ahead of Thompson, IMO... 😉

1 minute ago, MadAmster said:

If Vickers is still injured then Loach will be the keeper on the bench ahead of Thompson, IMO... 😉

Agree. There's no way Warne would risk throwing someone who just turned 17 in against a Steve Evans side, even if he is already a better keeper than Loach

If Collo is out for the season, we need to play barkhuizen up top for next 2/3 games while Washington and Waghorn are gaining full fitness and recall Dajaune when we can.

For this weekend, they’ve a very physical side so I’d love to see Bradley play to wrestle with their strikers. 

Wildsmith

Nelson Bradley Cashin 

Wilson Thompson Adams Bird Sibley 

NML Barkhuizen 

Thats assuming Elder, Hourihane, CBT, Collo and Nyambe all aren’t fit enough to start. 

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Warne saying Elder and Hourihane are both “sore” but confident they’ll be ok for the weekend. Nyambe fine. Collins is down to the scan to be sure. 

'Hopeful he (Collins) will be available for the weekend, but that might be me being too optimistic', Warne says.

Warne said that Nyambe is fine and out on the grass, then said “all the lads are out on the grass”, just after talking about Collins, doesn’t that suggest he is training but that a scan result from his knee could show something serious, although that’s not likely?

It looks like Warne is just keeping his cards close to his chest in what is a big game against another promotion contender.

The amount of players we have that are “sore” also shows the impact playing Saturday-Tuesday for the next 5 weeks might have on Bolton, if you’re constantly not able to recover properly then the results will drop, I’m hoping that’ll be an edge we can have over them in beating them to the top 2.

Collins injured - were doomed! 

unless it’s Warne playing his mind tricks again like with NML on Tuesday. 

couldn’t pick a worse fixture for a improvised forward either - their cb is rated second behind Cash on whoscored