Derby v Stevenage FC - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

For the Warne thread I suppose, but as I've said before, 90-95% of managers would have us in a better position. With no striker, Warne benches our most dangerous attacking midfielder? He got lucky.

Or, he deployed Sibley precisely as and when he should have.

I guess it's all down to the narrative 🤓

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

10 points ahead of that Peterborough super team who ‘looked levels above us’ recently.

Is Paul Warne actually overachieving?

Peterborough have only got 1 point out of their last 5 games. Lost four on the bounce (more a dead cat bounce).

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

But he changed things and got the win? I understand what went before wasn’t enjoyable to watch but how can Warne not be due some credit for picking a side that kept a clean sheet, that battled with a bullying side, and making the subs to get us the 3 points?! Some people really won’t give him any dues, it’s surely ok to say some of it was bad and he did what he needed to…. Eventually 

I don’t mind that set up. Needed NML to play well which he didn’t and things were much better with Smith. But if Warne sticks with a fortress 3 at the back and gets our midfielders in the right places we’ll get better and generally win something nil. Ward will be very effective in that set up. Just wish we’d play more through the middle and that we were more connected  

Such an instinctive strike from Sibley, clean as a whistle. 

Didn’t miss the players’ captain. Adams is fabulous and Bradley after his early season wobbles is looking excellent.  

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

For the Warne thread I suppose, but as I've said before, 90-95% of managers would have us in a better position. With no striker, Warne benches our most dangerous attacking midfielder? He got lucky.

He always gets lucky when we win according to some on here. That’s the 20th time out of 33 games. I wonder if it is just luck………….😎

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

10 points ahead of that Peterborough super team who ‘looked levels above us’ recently.

Is Paul Warne actually overachieving?

This may sound churlish but I think he's learning, Lets Exeter have the ball and we score 3(tho undeserved 😁)then picks a team to match their strong arm football.

A pity that our striker is missing for X amount of games...but we have a couple of strikers to come back in.

I don't mind winning ugly altho I don't like waiting for fulltime 😬

Glad for the win obviously.

But let’s not have the fluked result (cos that’s what it is and was) disguise a desperate performance created to a large extent by a woeful tactician of a manager. Don’t give me the line that it was PW’s sub of Sibs that got us the win. It was just luck, no more. Plus a large dose of desperation.

I can accept bad performances and understand the pressure on the players, particularly at home.

But our setup was appalling.
If we had gone attacking mode from the beginning (when Stevenage would realistically just be looking to get to HT at 0-0), scored two goals by H-T and then reverted to a back 5, then there would have been some logic to events. But PW’s talk about it being better to go for a win ( and risk losing) rather than draw is total BS. Talk is cheap but not matched by actions.

Stevenage deserved a draw. We got (very) lucky. Yes, we are where we are in the table and that’s good. But i am reminded of a tv interview with Matt Le Tiss who said that whilst Southgate was a nice guy he couldn’t help feeling that we would never win a tournament with him as manager and that he almost felt that with the players England have he( Le Tiss) could have managed them to a Euro final and WC semi. I feel the same about PW- it’s a ‘thanks Paul’ but no more. I have always been supportive of him but after today I seriously question his real credentials, yes, even acknowledging the current league position we find ourselves in.

6 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

This may sound churlish but I think he's learning, Lets Exeter have the ball and we score 3(tho undeserved 😁)then picks a team to match their strong arm football.

A pity that our striker is missing for X amount of games...but we have a couple of strikers to come back in.

I don't mind winning ugly altho I don't like waiting for fulltime 😬

just a reminder, we are playing in the 3rd division