Paul Warne

Day

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Really? I genuinely think tactically Warne is excellent. I would put him alongside Billy Davies as the best tactical managers we’ve had since our relegation in 2002.

McClaren was a better coach, as was Cocu and Rosenior, but tactically Warne is better than all three. 

Thats an awful take. We struggled to beat sides with significantly lower budgets akin to England vs Slovakia last season and we regularly relied on moments of class from NML,Wilson or a set piece to grind wins against mid  table sides thats not tactical nous to me. He did the job but we played the most basic football against teams with players not far off league two level and with the likes of Bird, Cashin ,NML and Nelson alot of our players youd expect to be above that level. I would put even someone like Rowett higher for tactical nous. He is on par with a Rooney or Lampard on that area and that isnt saying alot.

Edited by Marriot Ram99

I think Warne and his team are more switched on than many give him credit for.

He started with a Dirty Dozen type squad that no one else much wanted and has been adding to that. Some signings work, others don’t. It’s the same at all clubs. He comes across a bit David Brent at times, but he desperately wants to succeed.

I said on that glorious last day that I thought five players at most would start the first league game of this season.

It will take a while to get them playing well together. We need to be patient with Warne and the players. 

We can’t do this ‘we’re rubbish’ one week and ‘we’re great’ the next. We have to see the bigger picture.

29 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Thats an awful take. We struggled to beat sides with significantly lower budgets akin to England vs Slovakia last season and we regularly relied on moments of class from NML,Wilson or a set piece to grind wins against mid  table sides thats not tactical nous to me. He did the job but we played the most basic football against teams with players not far off league two level and with the likes of Bird, Cashin ,NML and Nelson alot of our players youd expect to be above that level. I would put even someone like Rowett higher for tactical nous. He is on par with a Rooney or Lampard on that area and that isnt saying alot.

We didn’t struggle, though? We finished the season with an average of two points per game and the best goal difference in the division. 

As I said, I think it’s undeniable that Peterborough had more ability in their team than us. Bolton were a better coached side. We got the job done due to Warne, his ability to create a solid defensive unit and put the attacking pieces in their most effective positions. Not to mention the work done on set-pieces, again, tactical work. 

34 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

You forgot to mention McClown in that list with all the others that failed to take us anywhere. 

11 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I’ve just seen the Derby fan on the Second Tier Podcast saying that Warne will be the first manager sacked we need someone with more tactical nous.

I’m surprised considering I think it would take a lot for Clowes to sack him, not to mention the knock on his ‘tactical nous’ which I personally think is probably one of the best, if not the best we’ve had in decades. He’s not the best coach, so I respect that, but I think in terms of Xs and Os and in-game management that is a knock you can’t have against him. He understands the mechanics of the game extremely well. I’m just surprised by such a lazy, uneducated narrative by someone who says he’s a fan. 

Sadly I can think of a number of forum members on here whom would be capable of generating such utter drivel 

12 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I’ve just seen the Derby fan on the Second Tier Podcast saying that Warne will be the first manager sacked we need someone with more tactical nous.

I’m surprised considering I think it would take a lot for Clowes to sack him, not to mention the knock on his ‘tactical nous’ which I personally think is probably one of the best, if not the best we’ve had in decades. He’s not the best coach, so I respect that, but I think in terms of Xs and Os and in-game management that is a knock you can’t have against him. He understands the mechanics of the game extremely well. I’m just surprised by such a lazy, uneducated narrative by someone who says he’s a fan. 

These guys wind me up. Which is a shame because in the last two seasons when Derby haven’t been in the Championship I’ve really enjoyed their show. 

I enjoy their show because of their banter and partly because I know they are both from Derby and say “int it and dunt it” every other sentence. 

However their stance on Warne and Derby is overly negative and doesn’t (dunt) stand up to scrutiny. 

I can only assume they are overly negative because they don’t want to come across as being biased towards Derby ? Other “neutral” podcasts are giving Derby a fairer shout for the upcoming season. 

As for saying PW will be the first for the sack they simply don’t understand Clowes. I think we will need a catastrophic run of results before he considers pulling the trigger. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

We didn’t struggle, though? We finished the season with an average of two points per game and the best goal difference in the division. 

As I said, I think it’s undeniable that Peterborough had more ability in their team than us. Bolton were a better coached side. We got the job done due to Warne, his ability to create a solid defensive unit and put the attacking pieces in their most effective positions. Not to mention the work done on set-pieces, again, tactical work. 

I disagree on Peterborough having more ability we had a good shot stopper and the best defence in the league to me thats why we were good defensively not soley tactics.  Boro were a naive side full of young players ,having a few fast dribblers doesnt make you a great side. Defensively its alot more about the players and ball retention creating a team that creates chances easily and are also good defensively is more the sign of a good tactician.

I thought we struggled to take the ascendency and played some very poor disjointed football against teams full of lower league journey men like Fleetwood and Stevanage in the last 2 years at home and away and just did enough to win last season in the run in.   In so many games we were durge we got 2nd which was the target but at the level we were playing at for a club of our size with the players like Cashin,NML and Mcgoldrick he inherited I dont think you can say he has done any more than par, this season is his true test.

Edited by Marriot Ram99

I needed a good laugh this morning and seeing Warne described as a master tactician has provided that, so thanks guys!

I think the coaches he surrounds himself with are very good and they clearly work well together as a team, with his personality placing him as the public face of it all, but I get a strong impression that Barker/Hamshaw would do better without Warne than Warne would do without Barker/Hamshaw.

As with everything Warne, the measure of his abilities will be in how we do at Championship level, not how we've done in League One. 

Do well this season and I'll maybe start to believe he's the brains behind the operation, or at least that his tactics actually have some depth to them.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

14 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

I needed a good laugh this morning and seeing Warne described as a master tactician has provided that, so thanks guys!

I think the coaches he surrounds himself with are very good and they clearly work well together as a team, with his personality placing him as the public face of it all, but I get a strong impression that Barker/Hamshaw would do better without Warne than Warne would do without Barker/Hamshaw.

As with everything Warne, the measure of his abilities will be in how we do at Championship level, not how we've done in League One. 

Do well this season and I'll maybe start to believe he's the brains behind the operation, or at least that his tactics actually have some depth to them.

Barkers past managerial career wouldn't suggest that? Nor Hamshaw's coaching career.

image.png.5c9dbdb61f924e32938e8cb91706c713.png

image.thumb.png.6b997aa49758e0e3a8b335192f8bc2d2.png

🙂

20 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Read back through some of your posts if you're after a laugh this morning 

26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Whilst only half listening to RD commo on the preseason friendly yesterday there was some talk about Warne and the fitness coach. Have we appointed a new one or something?

Ross Burbeary was the head of performance last season but he’s now working for Huddersfield, we’ve brought in Rob Price from Leeds but I thought he was more physio/medical in his role. I can’t see who has replaced Burbeary on the club site or in an obvious news article, but you’d think there’d be someone in that role unless it is Price. 

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Barkers past managerial career wouldn't suggest that? Nor Hamshaw's coaching career.

image.png.5c9dbdb61f924e32938e8cb91706c713.png

image.thumb.png.6b997aa49758e0e3a8b335192f8bc2d2.png

🙂

The first thing Barker did was get Bury promoted. Granted he was sacked from the jobs after that after poor runs of form, but no worse than anything Warne (or any other manager) produces. Every manager is at the mercy of a chairman  and many of them have itchy trigger fingers. Warne's worked under two very forgiving and patient chairmen.

Besides I'm talking present day - not 8 to 12 years ago - of the now well established management trio at the helm and all of the history behind them that leads to them being a good team.

1 minute ago, May Contain Nuts said:

The first thing Barker did was get Bury promoted. Granted he was sacked from the jobs after that after poor runs of form, but no worse than anything Warne (or any other manager) produces. Every manager is at the mercy of a chairman  and many of them have itchy trigger fingers. Warne's worked under two very forgiving and patient chairmen.

Besides I'm talking present day - not 8 to 12 years ago - of the now well established management trio at the helm and all of the history behind them that leads to them being a good team.

I remain to be convinced. But it's a mute point as they are all obviously part of 'the team', not likely to want to seperate.

Edited by RoyMac5