Paul Warne

Day

If we go up I think PW will have absolutely earned a crack at the Championship.

I’ve enjoyed the season but have been critical of the style of play because I think we’ve got the squad to have got equally good or even better results in league 1 by playing more through the midfield and more on the deck.

But…..PW knows what he’s doing. Every game is a battle and we’re very rarely out of a game…..and, conversely, only very occasionally out of sight and cruising. I can only remember Stevenage away where we hadn’t got a sniff of something at the 85+ minute mark.

Against Cheltenham, the pragmatism is frustrating. Against Leeds, Notts Forest or Burnley next year, it may be just the right approach to grind enough points for mid table……and far, far less frustrating to watch.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

We played good football at times under Warne and usually it has been built around the better players we have had. If we sign 3-4 players with the ability of a Bird or the flair and vision of a McGoldrick, why can’t we go up and play a brand of football that is pleasing to the manager and the fans?

It'll depend on whether there are enough "good eggs" who play decent football because they're the only sort of chaps PW wants in the dressing room.

Those names weren't Warne signings and I know there's debate around whether or not Paul Warne prioritises athleticism over technical ability but the one thing he has publicly stated is being of "the right character".

He'd never have put up with a Besty or a Rodney Marsh.....

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

It's "everything that's wrong with football" that I could be of the opinion that the manager isn't right? Slightly reactionary. 

You're certainly consistent - although you're quite a way behind @Millenniumram who posted this in the "Is a 4 year contract for Warne too long?" thread after PW had been here a month...

’m beginning to think a 4 week contract would have been too much. Will he be in his job longer than Liz Truss? I hope not.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

You're certainly consistent - although you're quite a way behind @Millenniumram who posted this in the "Is a 4 year contract for Warne too long?" thread after PW had been here a month...

I’m still of the opinion that if we appointed a different manager we’d have been promoted last season.

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Never claimed anything to the contrary. 

We'd be even less of a pull for managers if we for example hit November and decide to fire Warne in a panic if we weren't doing well. 

If we sack a manager who is doing well, we would be - and would be seen to be - a basket case.

Just now, Eddie said:

If we sack a manager who is doing well, we would be - and would be seen to be - a basket case.

A good example is that Derby should have sacked Billy Davies when they were promoted last time. They didn't and it was a mistake. Warne is obviously not the same basket case, the overarching point though is that a manager being right for the situation we are in now doesn't mean they will be moving forwards. 

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m still of the opinion that if we appointed a different manager we’d have been promoted last season.

But may I ask why? Various so called "big " clubs have taken more than one season to escape from League One. Why should we be any different, especially after just coming out of administration?

10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

You are entitled to your opinion

My take is that the Warne future discussion remains premature. With all my heart I hope he succeeds and gets us over the line, fulfilling what in the summer were the minimum expectations of the majority of the forum (in the days when polls were allowed).

We know we are guaranteed a chance of automatic promotion going into the final game. Even with the possibility of being promoted before the final game. I say let's watch it play out and then discuss what happens next. By that point, @Davidmight even allow us to have a poll again? 

9 hours ago, Andicis said:

It's "everything that's wrong with football" that I could be of the opinion that the manager isn't right? Slightly reactionary. 

Nope , it’s everything that’s wrong with football , if he gets us up he has earned the chance to see what he can do at derby in the championship 

8 hours ago, Andicis said:

Not saying what I think Clowes will do, this is all of course just my opinion.

The sense is that it gives us the opportunity to build a squad for a new manager with a new direction and a clean slate. 

I would argue that it could well be a wise use of resources as the alternative could be far more costly. 

Say if we are to invest everything into the team Warne wants, and things don't work in the Championship, aren't we then entrenched into the Warne style by having players purchased to play that way? 

My opinion on the style of play is based from what we've seen so far. Maybe it'll change with better players, I imagine that fundamentally it will be the same as we've seen. Personally, I don't really enjoy that. Some people probably do which is fair enough, but you have to admit that at the very least the style is polarising amongst the fans which is never a positive. 

A new direction? ,,, the current direction is Up 

invest a chunk in getting rid of warne and his team and the rest on players to suit a new manager who if he doesn’t cut it we will be entrenched in how he wanted us to play,

polarising ? Liam was polarising , I personally didn’t enjoy his style and where I sit heard far more moaning and groaning during games than under warne 🤷🏻‍♂️

7 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

It'll depend on whether there are enough "good eggs" who play decent football because they're the only sort of chaps PW wants in the dressing room.

Those names weren't Warne signings and I know there's debate around whether or not Paul Warne prioritises athleticism over technical ability but the one thing he has publicly stated is being of "the right character".

He'd never have put up with a Besty or a Rodney Marsh.....

Niether would pep have put up with those two , they would be fit , committed, work hard too or be out the door , football is a different game today 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

A new direction? ,,, the current direction is Up 

invest a chunk in getting rid of warne and his team and the rest on players to suit a new manager who if he doesn’t cut it we will be entrenched in how he wanted us to play,

polarising ? Liam was polarising , I personally didn’t enjoy his style and where I sit heard far more moaning and groaning during games than under warne 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes, Rosenior's football was polarising too. But probably more about results than the manner of performances. 

It was clear I was discussing next season rather than this one from my first post on the matter. I think Warne's done a commendable job this season in keeping the momentum up. 

It is as simple as I just don't feel he will be the right person to take us any further. Not sure why it is warranting quite such outrage posting from you really. 

9 hours ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

If we go up I think PW will have absolutely earned a crack at the Championship.

I’ve enjoyed the season but have been critical of the style of play because I think we’ve got the squad to have got equally good or even better results in league 1 by playing more through the midfield and more on the deck.

But…..PW knows what he’s doing. Every game is a battle and we’re very rarely out of a game…..and, conversely, only very occasionally out of sight and cruising. I can only remember Stevenage away where we hadn’t got a sniff of something at the 85+ minute mark.

Against Cheltenham, the pragmatism is frustrating. Against Leeds, Notts Forest or Burnley next year, it may be just the right approach to grind enough points for mid table……and far, far less frustrating to watch.

Don’t Jinx it . At least we will have a 2 point lead on Shef Utd . Could be Everton , they took 9,000 to an away game last season . Luton would not be easy , along with other “Parachute teams “ like Leicester and Southampton . 

10 hours ago, Andicis said:

Not saying what I think Clowes will do, this is all of course just my opinion.

The sense is that it gives us the opportunity to build a squad for a new manager with a new direction and a clean slate. 

I would argue that it could well be a wise use of resources as the alternative could be far more costly. 

Say if we are to invest everything into the team Warne wants, and things don't work in the Championship, aren't we then entrenched into the Warne style by having players purchased to play that way? 

My opinion on the style of play is based from what we've seen so far. Maybe it'll change with better players, I imagine that fundamentally it will be the same as we've seen. Personally, I don't really enjoy that. Some people probably do which is fair enough, but you have to admit that at the very least the style is polarising amongst the fans which is never a positive. 

The football this season has rarely been pretty, I don’t think anyone can deny that and the thought of more of the same isn’t very appetising. However, how much of that is down to the manager’s preferred style and how much is down to a need to adapt and do whatever it takes to get out of this league? Probably a combination of both. On the latter point, a lot of games this seem to blur into each other (which maybe says it all) but I reckon a lot of our entertaining football has come against the better teams in the league (I can’t substantiate that theory before anyone asks, it’s just a gut feeling). So, on that basis, I think we’ll either get rolled over pretty much every week (or, if we’re lucky manage to cling on for a point or three every now and then) or, we’re able to make some decent recruitment in the summer and will be able to go toe to toe with the more talented teams you get in the Championship - matching them to an extent in terms quality of football. 

Obviously the former is what we all fear whilst the latter is what we all want. I for one (not that it’s up to me of course), am prepared to give PW the benefit of the doubt and accept that, to a degree, the quality of football we have seen this season has been down to the league we’ve been playing in. I totally get that some members on this forum really don’t rate him, don’t like his football, don’t think anything will change if we go up, and want him gone but, I’m hoping such individuals (not aimed at you by the way) give their Warne out campaign a bit of a rest next season for at least a dozen games.

8 hours ago, Andicis said:

A good example is that Derby should have sacked Billy Davies when they were promoted last time. They didn't and it was a mistake. Warne is obviously not the same basket case, the overarching point though is that a manager being right for the situation we are in now doesn't mean they will be moving forwards. 

Derby should have sacked Davies, but not for being an inappropriate manager for the PL, but because he was a sh*t-stirrer who only cared about himself.

I'd rather not be one of those clubs who sacks a manager who's brought them success simply because they think there are "better options out there" (see Birmingham City 2016-2024).

if we do get out of this nightmare,i for one would like to say goodbye to warne,i cannot bare the thought of another season of watching this brand of whatever it is.the gamble of warne using what little bit of money we have on players for warne ball and having to reset at christmas with an empty kitty would be too great in my opinion

3 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

if we do get out of this nightmare,i for one would like to say goodbye to warne,i cannot bare the thought of another season of watching this brand of whatever it is.the gamble of warne using what little bit of money we have on players for warne ball and having to reset at christmas with an empty kitty would be too great in my opinion

image.png.a4e6feabfb361adb13049fec4911acc6.png

4 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

But you think the gamble of paying off Warne and his backroom staff (with w years left on their contract) rather than using them funds to let Warne strengthen our squad is a good idea?

By Warne Ball do you mean lots of goals scored and not many conceded?