Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

GK: Hopefully none if Wildsmith signs

Defenders: A new centre back and left wing back to leave us with; Ward, Wilson, Nyambe, Nelson, Bradley, Cashin, Forsyth, Elder, plus 2 new

Midfielders: Adams (fingers crossed), Sibley, Thompson, plus 3 more in my opinion. Could keep Smith and make that 2 more if we don't have the funds. 

Forwards: A new winger and 2 new strikers: NML, Barkz, CBT, new winger, Wash, Collo and 2 new strikers

FWIW i rate Gayle better than Collins but got a sneaky feeling we'll only offer 1 of them a new deal and reckon Collins will get rewarded for his endeavours over the season. I don't mind Collins and Wash on the bench but wouldn't want them starting many. 

14 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

GK: Hopefully none if Wildsmith signs

Defenders: A new centre back and left wing back to leave us with; Ward, Wilson, Nyambe, Nelson, Bradley, Cashin, Forsyth, Elder, plus 2 new

Midfielders: Adams (fingers crossed), Sibley, Thompson, plus 3 more in my opinion. Could keep Smith and make that 2 more if we don't have the funds. 

Forwards: A new winger and 2 new strikers: NML, Barkz, CBT, new winger, Wash, Collo and 2 new strikers

FWIW i rate Gayle better than Collins but got a sneaky feeling we'll only offer 1 of them a new deal and reckon Collins will get rewarded for his endeavours over the season. I don't mind Collins and Wash on the bench but wouldn't want them starting many. 

If I’m brutally honest and leaving sentiment apart, I think we need better players than Smith, Thompson, Elder, Washington and Barkhuisen in the Championship. I’m not sure we should keep Forsyth though he’s been written off before. After a while, injuries take their toll.

I’m not sure Bradley is first choice and if he isn’t, then I’d rather see a younger CB in the squad. Bradley can stay if he wants to fight for his place. Rooney shows promise as additional back up.

Collins may be more ambitious than a squad option though his attitude is excellent. Gayle is too much of a risk injury-wise and has failed recently in the Championship.

I’d get a new LB/LWB, a new CB, three midfielders plus Adams, two new strikers and a winger or two.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Trouble is, a lot of the players who are available have been pretty mediocre in the Championship.

It was different when we were assessing how good they might be in League One, but why would we anticipate they would improve in the Championship next season with us?

I think we might go for a few of the better young players in League One, plus a couple of better performers from relegated clubs and some premier league loans.

I’ve seen Lawal mentioned and whilst he would be great, I think Celtic want him back.

Aasgard, Randall and Kane would strengthen the midfield, Mark Harris upfront, with Bacuna and Azeez would be good additions.

There is a lot of dross, definitely, that's the nature of the free transfer market. I think there are plenty there who have done well enough, and players with 100-200 Championship appearances are probably going to be good enough to keep us up (as part of a decent squad). There are definitely some young gems in L1 & L2 but not many who'll come without a transfer fee. Randall & Aasgard are absolutely the type of player we should go for but I doubt we can afford them. Maybe we could get them later.

Mark Harris has come up a lot but his stats aren't great. He scored 9 league goals in 3 Championship seasons 2020-2023, underwhelmed in L2 & NL, then got 13 league goals in 39 L1 games this season, plus we'd have to pay for him. At 25, he has potential.

Here is  information about the age of strikers in the Championship compared to League One:

Championship strikers generally have an edge over League One strikers in terms of goal output and pedigree, but the gap is not as large as one might expect. Age is an important factor to consider when analyzing the quality of strikers in the Championship compared to League One:

- The average age of players in the Championship is 25.7 years old, indicating that the league features a mix of experienced veterans and promising young talents. Strikers in their prime years tend to perform better than those who are too young or old.

- Younger strikers in the Championship, such as those coming up from League One, may struggle with the physicality and tactical demands of the higher level. They need time to adapt and develop their game.

- Older strikers in the Championship, while bringing experience, may have lost some of their pace and sharpness. Maintaining peak performance becomes more challenging with age.

- The average age of starting XIs in the Championship varies between teams, with some relying more on youth and others on experience. Managers need to strike the right balance in their squad.

- Age is not the sole determinant of a striker's quality, but it does play a role in their development, physical attributes, and ability to adapt to the demands of the Championship. Younger strikers may have higher ceilings but need time to reach their potential.

As players age, they tend to lose some of their raw physical attributes like pace, power, and agility. This can make it harder for older strikers to get in behind defenses or win aerial battles.

The constant collisions, sprints, and impacts take a toll on the body over time. Minor injuries become more pronounced and harder to recover from as players get into their 30s. Stiff joints and muscle soreness are common.

Forwards tend to peak in their mid-to-late 20s in terms of raw physical attributes like sprinting. But many maintain high performance levels until around 30-31 years old before a gradual decline sets in.

Championship strikers tend to have better goal conversion rates and xG per 90 minutes compared to League One strikers. However, there are still talented young strikers in League One who could make the step up.

The physicality and directness of play is more pronounced in the Championship compared to League One. Strikers need to adapt to more aerial battles and long balls. This can be a challenge for some players moving up, especially younger ones.

Tactically, Championship teams may be more sophisticated in their approach compared to League One. Strikers need to be able to link play and work within a structured system. On paper, a good chunk of Championship strikers would likely be able to compete in many European top flights outside of the big 5 leagues. The quality at the top end of the Championship is improving.

So while Championship strikers have an edge, the gap to the best League One forwards is not enormous. Physicality, tactical demands, and age are the biggest factors to consider when assessing the quality of strikers moving up from League One to the Championship. Managers need to strike the right balance in their squad and give younger talents time to adapt and develop their game.

17 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I'm liking the sounds of "shrewd Premier League loan signings"! Maybe some U21s spread throughout positions CB/CM/CF? 

Add to that the odd freebie (Burrows, Rathbone, Clarke-Harris?) and maybe a fee for 1-2 players with potential (who knows!) then I reckon a solid mid-table finish is well possible.

One place to look at, is the Championship clubs which have just been promoted to the Premier, they'll be off loading some players good enough for the Championship but not for the Premier. They will be safer but probably more expensive signings.

44 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Here is  information about the age of strikers in the Championship compared to League One:

Championship strikers generally have an edge over League One strikers in terms of goal output and pedigree, but the gap is not as large as one might expect. Age is an important factor to consider when analyzing the quality of strikers in the Championship compared to League One:

- The average age of players in the Championship is 25.7 years old, indicating that the league features a mix of experienced veterans and promising young talents. Strikers in their prime years tend to perform better than those who are too young or old.

- Younger strikers in the Championship, such as those coming up from League One, may struggle with the physicality and tactical demands of the higher level. They need time to adapt and develop their game.

- Older strikers in the Championship, while bringing experience, may have lost some of their pace and sharpness. Maintaining peak performance becomes more challenging with age.

- The average age of starting XIs in the Championship varies between teams, with some relying more on youth and others on experience. Managers need to strike the right balance in their squad.

- Age is not the sole determinant of a striker's quality, but it does play a role in their development, physical attributes, and ability to adapt to the demands of the Championship. Younger strikers may have higher ceilings but need time to reach their potential.

As players age, they tend to lose some of their raw physical attributes like pace, power, and agility. This can make it harder for older strikers to get in behind defenses or win aerial battles.

The constant collisions, sprints, and impacts take a toll on the body over time. Minor injuries become more pronounced and harder to recover from as players get into their 30s. Stiff joints and muscle soreness are common.

Forwards tend to peak in their mid-to-late 20s in terms of raw physical attributes like sprinting. But many maintain high performance levels until around 30-31 years old before a gradual decline sets in.

Championship strikers tend to have better goal conversion rates and xG per 90 minutes compared to League One strikers. However, there are still talented young strikers in League One who could make the step up.

The physicality and directness of play is more pronounced in the Championship compared to League One. Strikers need to adapt to more aerial battles and long balls. This can be a challenge for some players moving up, especially younger ones.

Tactically, Championship teams may be more sophisticated in their approach compared to League One. Strikers need to be able to link play and work within a structured system. On paper, a good chunk of Championship strikers would likely be able to compete in many European top flights outside of the big 5 leagues. The quality at the top end of the Championship is improving.

So while Championship strikers have an edge, the gap to the best League One forwards is not enormous. Physicality, tactical demands, and age are the biggest factors to consider when assessing the quality of strikers moving up from League One to the Championship. Managers need to strike the right balance in their squad and give younger talents time to adapt and develop their game.

Can you start a “AI generated commentary on the championship” thread for these posts please? Or if I start one for you will you put them in there? You keep posting these “detailed analysis”, none of which is your own thought or comment, in a TRANSFER SUGGESTION THREAD.

The idea of this thread is for us to suggest and discuss potential targets we think would strengthen the side, or add to what we have, or be realistic for our suspected/assumed funds etc…. Please stop posting these random collections of championship analysis in here…pretty please?! 

5 minutes ago, ram59 said:

One place to look at, is the Championship clubs which have just been promoted to the Premier, they'll be off loading some players good enough for the Championship but not for the Premier. They will be safer but probably more expensive signings.

It is unlikely that a newly promoted League One team to the Championship would be able to sign players from clubs that have just been promoted to the Premier League for a few key reasons:

1. Wage demands: Players from Premier League clubs, even those not considered starters, will likely have high wage demands that a smaller Championship club would struggle to match. The financial gap between the Premier League and lower divisions makes it difficult for promoted teams to compete on salaries.

2. Transfer fees: Clubs that have just been promoted to the Premier League will be reluctant to sell their players, especially to League One teams newly promoted to Championship, unless the transfer fees are substantial. A newly promoted League One team simply won't have the funds to pay the asking prices for these players.

3. Ambition: Players from Premier League clubs, even if not first-choice, will likely have ambitions to play at the highest level and may not see a move to a newly promoted League One to Championship side as a step in the right direction. They will want to test themselves against the best players.

4. Squad depth: Championship League clubs need a deep squad to compete in multiple competitions. They will want to keep players who can provide cover and competition for places, rather than selling them to rivals.

5. Loan deals: If Premier League clubs do allow their players to leave, they will be more inclined to send them on loan to gain experience rather than sell outright. This allows the parent club to retain control of the player's future.

In summary, the financial resources, ambition and squad-building priorities of current Chsmpionship League clubs make it very difficult for newly promoted League One sides to attract their players, even those not considered starters. The gap in quality and resources is simply too large to bridge in one transfer window.

10 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Can you start a “AI generated commentary on the championship” thread for these posts please? Or if I start one for you will you put them in there? You keep posting these “detailed analysis”, none of which is your own thought or comment, in a TRANSFER SUGGESTION THREAD.

The idea of this thread is for us to suggest and discuss potential targets we think would strengthen the side, or add to what we have, or be realistic for our suspected/assumed funds etc…. Please stop posting these random collections of championship analysis in here…pretty please?! 

I think the answer to that is "no" then! 😂

21 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

For the first time ever I’ve had to use the ignore function, and now I feel bad

Don’t I’ve had them on for ages when they/it was just copy and pasting stuff from Football league transfers or some other website with students writing articles and 3 followers. Life too short to read the nonsense 

35 minutes ago, Oldben said:

It is unlikely that a newly promoted League One team to the Championship would be able to sign players from clubs that have just been promoted to the Premier League for a few key reasons:

1. Wage demands: Players from Premier League clubs, even those not considered starters, will likely have high wage demands that a smaller Championship club would struggle to match. The financial gap between the Premier League and lower divisions makes it difficult for promoted teams to compete on salaries.

2. Transfer fees: Clubs that have just been promoted to the Premier League will be reluctant to sell their players, especially to League One teams newly promoted to Championship, unless the transfer fees are substantial. A newly promoted League One team simply won't have the funds to pay the asking prices for these players.

3. Ambition: Players from Premier League clubs, even if not first-choice, will likely have ambitions to play at the highest level and may not see a move to a newly promoted League One to Championship side as a step in the right direction. They will want to test themselves against the best players.

4. Squad depth: Championship League clubs need a deep squad to compete in multiple competitions. They will want to keep players who can provide cover and competition for places, rather than selling them to rivals.

5. Loan deals: If Premier League clubs do allow their players to leave, they will be more inclined to send them on loan to gain experience rather than sell outright. This allows the parent club to retain control of the player's future.

In summary, the financial resources, ambition and squad-building priorities of current Chsmpionship League clubs make it very difficult for newly promoted League One sides to attract their players, even those not considered starters. The gap in quality and resources is simply too large to bridge in one transfer window.

As a lg1 club, we signed Bradley from Luton, so it's not impossible.

I would think that a number of Ipswich players who were with the club in lg1 may find the step up to the Premier, a step too far in their club's opinion. We will have first hand experience of playing against these players as well. Also, their players are unlikely to be on massive wages, Norwich and WBA players are also unlikely to be on massive wages and could be available if either of those clubs win the play offs.

Kasey Mcateer from Leicester has one year left on his contract, he’s out of favour having only started 12 games and made 21 appearances overall. He has 5 goals though and looks good whenever I see him.

Hes starting tonight as a lot of main players have been rested for Leicester and a lot of fans seem to feel he should of gotten more game time.

At 22 he could be a good investment as a winger who can play behind the striker also.