Stephen Pearce on Radio Derby 6pm Tuesday

1 minute ago, Zag zig said:

Wish one of these days a club would take him on. Rather suspect though, in a lot of cases there’s no smoke without fire and clubs probably don’t want the scrutiny either.

Really dislike the bloke, because essentially he’s become an expert in others woes, never mind football finance.

When you said take him on, I thought you meant employ him, was going to say don't give Forest ideas, let Clattenburg settle in first.

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

Wish one of these days a club would take him on. Rather suspect though, in a lot of cases there’s no smoke without fire and clubs probably don’t want the scrutiny either.

Really dislike the bloke, because essentially he’s become an expert in others woes, never mind football finance.

Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach. 

On 20/02/2024 at 10:22, Gaspode said:

Scarey figures from QPR - they've lost money every year since 1996......and despite spending nothing on signings last year, they managed to lose over £20M. You'd think that clubs would learn from what happened to us but I guess some just think it won't happen to them....

Just five miles down the road , with a tiny 17k ground , Brentford are now valued at £400 million . The owner is thinking of selling up. How on earth did they do so well after spending so long in the lower leagues?

15 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Just five miles down the road , with a tiny 17k ground , Brentford are now valued at £400 million . The owner is thinking of selling up. How on earth did they do so well after spending so long in the lower leagues?

Projected Premier League income. If they were stuck in the Championship (or lower) they wouldn’t be worth anywhere near that much. 

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Projected Premier League income. If they were stuck in the Championship (or lower) they wouldn’t be worth anywhere near that much. 

I absolutely do not understand football club valuations. They seem to defy all commercial logic given all bar the handful who win everything and have global brands run at a loss.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Unless they continue to find gems like Ivan Toney , valued now at £70+mill. They sold Reya with a year on his contract for £20 mill. A player that had a m o m performance against us for a non league team and we couldn’t spot him . It all looks easy in hindsight.

12 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I absolutely do not understand football club valuations. They seem to defy all commercial logic given all bar the handful who win everything and have global brands run at a loss.

Totally agree. Not sure how they are doing now but in Bournemouths first season in the Premier league they lost £96m or something like that. Crazy. 

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Totally agree. Not sure how they are doing now but in Bournemouths first season in the Premier league they lost £96m or something like that. Crazy. 

Think they got a £5 mill fine for that . Chicken feed . It cost Florists £45 mill to get in the Prem but Mike Ashley lost £100 mill , the season Newcastle got promoted . Luton got lucky at Wembley with a skied Coventry penalty . Will anyone ever do it again on a shoestring budget ?

11 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Unless they continue to find gems like Ivan Toney , valued now at £70+mill. They sold Reya with a year on his contract for £20 mill. A player that had a m o m performance against us for a non league team and we couldn’t spot him . It all looks easy in hindsight.

What non league team would that be Jim. Can't recall that one ?

38 minutes ago, gfs1ram said:

What non league team would that be Jim. Can't recall that one ?

2015 at home . He had a great game . I think we got a last minute penalty if I remember correctly - which Chris Martin stuck away . We all praised the goalie , suprised it took him so long to make it to the big-time .

16 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

My godson was playing for QPR when they were in the championship and the concencous was they cut the academy, saved and invested their money in the recruiting players who would make an instant impact. They relied on a system that was based primarily on stats rather than names and If I remember rightly, their scouting system wasn't even done by people who were of your regular scout mould, but more so stat experts who seemed to be very good at more often than not picking players who fit the bill perfectly.

13 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Charlie Goode? He was at Northampton in League 2 at the time. He's now into his 4th season at Brentford and has featured for just 882 mins in the league (half of which when they were still in the Championship). He appeared just 3 times for Blackpool last season, and is now on loan at Wigan. Perhaps a lucky escae htat we didn't spot him and waste another £1m.

3 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Think they got a £5 mill fine for that . Chicken feed . It cost Florists £45 mill to get in the Prem but Mike Ashley lost £100 mill , the season Newcastle got promoted . Luton got lucky at Wembley with a skied Coventry penalty . Will anyone ever do it again on a shoestring budget ?

Derby County 2024/25

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

2015 at home . He had a great game . I think we got a last minute penalty if I remember correctly - which Chris Martin stuck away . We all praised the goalie , suprised it took him so long to make it to the big-time .

You are indeed correct Jim.  Chris Martin penalty 90+3. Just watched the You Tube highlights. We had 27 shots oh and Leon Best !! 😱

I'm not a lawyer but I find it hard to believe that Morris still has an NDA so wide-ranging around Pearce that he can't shed any light at all on how he felt while performing that job. I would think it would be very hard, if not impossible, to make an argument that Pearce's feelings on job performance and environment are part of confidential company information. As far as I am aware NDA's that are too broad or pertain to information which could not be considered confidential can be broken and have been. There is also a question that if he did sign an unbreakable NDA then there would also surely be questions as to the viability of his use in his position in the post-Morris era as presumably Pearce also couldn't discuss these issues with Clowes either. I find it odd that everyone just seems to have accepted this explanation with seemingly little to no probing at all, including local journalists. 

I think the sooner leaves the club the better. He helped drive the club off the cliff edge and repeatedly went on media shows telling us all everything was hunky dory when it wasn't. His discussion on radio derby where he says 'he'd rather not discuss the mel era' just shows his problems. I find it staggering that someone that high up in the club could comfortably state that given the trauma that the club and the fanbase went through. A trauma which he helped create and would have failed to mop up without a last minute local businessman saving his backside. 

Either the bloke was incompetent or he lied. Those are the two choices he's left with tbh. Our amortisation policy which he helped deploy was a recipe for disaster aside from the moral questionability of such a practice. Clowes kept him on for god knows what reason- perhaps he's a nice guy who believes the best in everyone or maybe he saw a giant organisation in an absolute state and needed someone to steer the ship for a year or two while he got more acquainted with it. However, the day Pearce leaves, either mutually or not, will be a day I'll be celebrating. 

Edited by Leeds Ram