Stephen Pearce on Radio Derby 6pm Tuesday

12 minutes ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

It will be interesting to hear what he has to say. However I don't expect anything new re the admin and MM era. That's privileged  and sensitive information and it would not be ethical to discuss it. It would be like me publicly discussing the sensitive stuff I know from my previous employer and the inner workings of the business they were in.

I'm mostly interested in how the club is doing now, with the new ownership and sensible approach DC has, and how it will look going forward.

As far as I'm concerned, DC has appointed him, and as he is a sensible businessman I'm happy with that.

Totally agree.  I seem to remember an interview with David Clowes (can’t remember if it was just after he’d taken over or the one last summer) but he said something along the lines of SP being very good at his job and he’s being allowed to do his job.  David Clowes obviously trusts him or he wouldn’t be here.

10 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Totally agree.  I seem to remember an interview with David Clowes (can’t remember if it was just after he’d taken over or the one last summer) but he said something along the lines of SP being very good at his job and he’s being allowed to do his job.  David Clowes obviously trusts him or he wouldn’t be here.

And that's the only comfort we're left with really. If Clowes really trusts him, then nothing we say will or should change that

I said after the Supporters Q&A though, that I found it disappointing that he acted so slippery under questions. He could have earned an awful lot more good will if he'd been honest and said "you know what - it was a really, really hard job, under difficult circumstances and I may not have got everything right, but I care about this club - and that's why I'm still here. Because I want to fix things. I ask for forgiveness and the chance to make it right"

5 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

And that's the only comfort we're left with really. If Clowes really trusts him, then nothing we say will or should change that

I said after the Supporters Q&A though, that I found it disappointing that he acted so slippery under questions. He could have earned an awful lot more good will if he'd been honest and said "you know what - it was a really, really hard job, under difficult circumstances and I may not have got everything right, but I care about this club - and that's why I'm still here. Because I want to fix things. I ask for forgiveness and the chance to make it right"

Get where you’re coming from.  With DC’s comment about him being allowed to do his job it may infer that MM didn’t allow him to and interfered.  And he’d really like to say what it was like, but can’t.  Which is a shame cos that might be interesting!!

24 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Well if Pearce is under a (numerous?) NDAs how much will Clowes know?

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well I suspect they’ve had a discussion about how they want to work together.  And it wouldn’t be unreasonable for SP to say he doesn’t like being micro-manage and wants freedom to do his job.  Within specified limits, obviously.

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Disclaimer - this is not an attack on you as a poster, it is a reply to the questions posed, though I’m not sure if they’re meant rhetorically.

I’d guess that Clowes will know what Pearce is doing now, and what he has been doing since Clowes took the club over.

He’ll also have had visibility of the information gathered and provided by the administrators to further inform his decisions on taking the club over. 

Clowes is in a more informed position than pretty much most other Derby fans to determine whether Pearce should still be in the job, though he may of course be missing some info due to the NDAs as implied by the questions posed.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

11 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Well I suspect they’ve had a discussion about how they want to work together.  And it wouldn’t be unreasonable for SP to say he doesn’t like being micro-manage and wants freedom to do his job.  Within specified limits, obviously.

If so then he should have plenty to talk about as he's in charge of the Club now. Look forward to hearing all about the information he provides.

2 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

45% wage bill to turnover apparently. 

I don't believe that for a second.

Why would it be put out multiple times in the public domain if there isn't any truth in it?

For years, even before administration, the club has been crying out to be run sustainably and fornus to cut our cloth accordingly. The catastrophic events leading to administration forced that upon us.

The days of big money signings, stupid wages, bloated squads and contracts weighing us down are long gone. Maybe I am on my own in this but I do not miss this element for one minute and hope we will create a club to be proud of in the knowledge thst players arent here for a paycheck.

6 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

45% wage bill to turnover apparently. 

I don't believe that for a second.

Isn't that just player wages? That'll take us to £9.5m on just the players - a figure which will be higher than all but 4 other clubs' total wage bill.

We had a total wage bill close to £14m last season (£1.5m of that was Bielik). Our total this season will be close to that.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Isn't that just player wages? That'll take us to £9.5m on just the players - a figure which will be higher than all but 4 other clubs' total wage bill.

We had a total wage bill close to £14m last season (£1.5m of that was Bielik). Our total this season will be close to that.

45% is a bleedin' miracle for this club isn't it? 

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

As you say, it could be player wages or maybe even just first team squad wages. Derby probably have more other costs than any other club in this division with the academy and the running costs of PP.

45% is a really good sign that the club is being well run. He has also mentioned that the EFL are looking towards having a clear % of turnover limit for all  clubs. That's the way football needs to be going forward, so no more unaffordable contracts and clubs relying on wealthy owners to make good silly losses. Player salary levels also need looking at to! In some cases they should be halved at least.

I've found his interview to be a very good listen actually. Well done to him.

1 minute ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

45% is a really good sign that the club is being well run. He has also mentioned that the EFL are looking towards having a clear % of turnover limit for all  clubs. That's the way football needs to be going forward, so no more unaffordable contracts and clubs relying on wealthy owners to make good silly losses. Player salary levels also need looking at to! In some cases they should be halved at least.

I've found his interview to be a very good listen actually. Well done to him.

45% player wages is still a significant operating loss each season - £5m minimum, more likely around thr £7.5m mark