Stephen Pearce on Radio Derby 6pm Tuesday

I can’t see that this has it’s own thread and I couldn’t decide which of the many topics already going it would best fit so thought it worth starting a new one (if it’s best elsewhere can a mod merge it where appropriate please?)

Radio Derby, 6pm tonight (Tuesday 13th Feb) the interview with Stephen Pearce airs. I don’t think we’ll get clear answers on the Morris situation but this snippet shared yesterday by Dom suggests he did ask some straight questions and the answers may give us a bit more context/insight into the club’s planning with Pearce saying that last season was about steadying things and comments about the intentional choices around players’ contracts and the like.

Does love to duck and dive that bloke. 

I thought DC would kept him in temporarily to go through the books, make sure there were no more nasty surprises in our way, then let Pearce go, thanks for your service etc.

I know there's many NDAs in place and we will never get to the bottom behind the truth of our downfall. I'm at peace with it now. Let's see if Pearce can redeem himself with the faith DC has put into him.

I think ultimately due to the NDAs we’ll never know how much SP just accepted what Mel was doing vs whether he pushed back. 

Think the amortisation stuff is a bit harsh to beat him with. He found a loophole within the rules at the time and exploited it as many curly haired prats from Tyneside have done with tax losses previously. 

I also think unless he knew that Mel was planning on stopping funding us and placing us into admin that he was working within the budget set by the owner. 

I just can’t imagine DC keeping him around if he was guilty of anything really bad.

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think ultimately due to the NDAs we’ll never know how much SP just accepted what Mel was doing vs whether he pushed back. 

Think the amortisation stuff is a bit harsh to beat him with. He found a loophole within the rules at the time and exploited it as many curly haired prats from Tyneside have done with tax losses previously. 

I also think unless he knew that Mel was planning on stopping funding us and placing us into admin that he was working within the budget set by the owner. 

I just can’t imagine DC keeping him around if he was guilty of anything really bad.

Maybe so, but he's a qualified accountant and he didn't keep full records. Perhaps not guilty, but just not as competent as you might hope?

Edited by RoyMac5

The thing that does annoy me, is that I thought we'd (somehow) be clever enough to be running two different versions of the accounts - one with our amortisation method applied and one with the 'standard' method so we knew exactly what we could ensure we did just enough to be keeping within the limits whilst fully understanding just how far we could push things, if that makes any sort of sense at all.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

I’ve heard 2 snippets of this interview now, and in both Pearce avoids the question like a slimy politician. Yes the NDA’s are in place but there are certain things he can surely talk about. Pearce hides behind the NDA’s or just repeats the well documented line. Hopefully he reveals more, but I don’t hold my breath. I don’t trust him. He must be competent for Clowes to keep him on, but I’m not a fan.

11 minutes ago, enachops said:

I’ve heard 2 snippets of this interview now, and in both Pearce avoids the question like a slimy politician.

It was the same at the Q&A evening at Pride Park a couple of months back. He had some pre-prepared lines and he delivered them. When the floor was opened to Q&A - he just repeated them in various ways until we all lost the will

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You don't know what's incldued in the NDA, so you can't claim there are things he can talk about but chooses to avoid.

One of the questions was about his role in the previous regime. He could have spoken about that. Not everything is covered through an NDA. It’s not financial records or meetings he was asked to disclose. He just hid behind the NDA as he does for most things. 

5 minutes ago, enachops said:

One of the questions was about his role in the previous regime. He could have spoken about that. Not everything is covered through an NDA. It’s not financial records or meetings he was asked to disclose. He just hid behind the NDA as he does for most things. 

How on earth can you criticise him for hiding behind an NDA when you more or less admit you haven't a clue what NDAs' are in place? His position in the previous organisation is well documented - his actual involvement in what went on isn't so pointless speculation by everyone who is ignorant of the content of the NDAs.

Edited by Wolfie20

We did touch on it a few days' ago in the What questions would you ask? thread, @Caerphilly Ram.

But I agree it warrants its own thread and I predict it will be very busy on here later! 

I'm biased because I have talked to Stephen Pearce on quite a few occasions at meetings and also heard him at the September fans'  forum. I find him open and approachable - and actually, quite humble. 

Do I think he deliberately fibs? No. Do I think there are things he won't ever be able to talk about legally? Yes. Mel Morris will have hired the best legal expertise to make sure of this.

But your response to Pearce and what he says is coloured by how you feel about his involvement with our previous owner and I feel that sadly he is unable to change that perception simply because he can't answer some of the questions people want to know the answers to.

My experience is I know that the previous owner wasn't honest with us and was definitely the one pulling the strings, that makes me prepared to give Pearce a chance. (Cue John Lennon song!) 

5 minutes ago, enachops said:

You'll probably find pretty much everything SP did whilst working under Mel is now covered by an NDA

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

How on earth can you criticise him for hiding behind an NDA when you more or less admit you haven't a clue what NDAs' are in place? 

Fair enough. But as I said, there was a question which wasn’t asking about any of the intricacies of administration, merely his role at the time. I don’t see why he couldn’t talk about that. Pearce has failed to take responsibility for what happened. 

1 minute ago, enachops said:

Fair enough. But as I said, there was a question which wasn’t asking about any of the intricacies of administration, merely his role at the time. I don’t see why he couldn’t talk about that. Pearce has failed to take responsibility for what happened. 

Could be he did have some responsibility - I've no idea and I'm fairly sure neither do you so waste of time saying he did as though it's a statement of fact - it isn't!

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

Could be he did have some responsibility - I've no idea and I'm fairly sure neither do you so waste of time saying he did as though it's a statement of fact - it isn't!

Oh come on. CEO and finance officer of a club going into admin. Of course he has some responsibility. Morris is the ultimate one of course, but Pearce constantly said we weren’t in danger of FFP. He was wrong. 

19 minutes ago, enachops said:

Oh come on. CEO and finance officer of a club going into admin. Of course he has some responsibility. Morris is the ultimate one of course, but Pearce constantly said we weren’t in danger of FFP. He was wrong. 

What's he able to publicly take responsibility for when it's covered by an NDA?

23 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

What's he able to publicly take responsibility for when it's covered by an NDA?

I imagine choosing an NDA that's not able to be acknowledged is one of the few things he took full responsibility for doing! 😄

It will be interesting to hear what he has to say. However I don't expect anything new re the admin and MM era. That's privileged  and sensitive information and it would not be ethical to discuss it. It would be like me publicly discussing the sensitive stuff I know from my previous employer and the inner workings of the business they were in.

I'm mostly interested in how the club is doing now, with the new ownership and sensible approach DC has, and how it will look going forward.

As far as I'm concerned, DC has appointed him, and as he is a sensible businessman I'm happy with that.

Just now, Simmo’s left foot said:

It will be interesting to hear what he has to say. However I don't expect anything new re the admin and MM era. That's privileged  and sensitive information and it would not be ethical to discuss it. It would be like me publicly discussing the sensitive stuff I know from my previous employer and the inner workings of the business they were in.

I'm mostly interested in how the club is doing now, with the new ownership and sensible approach DC has, and how it will look going forward.

As far as I'm concerned, DC has appointed him, and as he is a sensible businessman I'm happy with that.

I think I’m of a similar stance, what’s done is done and I don’t believe we’ll ever fully know the details of that period in the club’s history.

How the club is now and the plans to move forward interest me far more.