Ebou Adams - Signed on 3 year deal

5 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

He wasn’t actually all that bad in his first season, got 8 goals in 40 games. He also was the reason we got Sam Winnall on loan wasn’t he? Apart from that he was absolutely horrendous.

I'd go as far to say as he was our best player in the first half of the season, and was the biggest reason why we were in contention for the automatics in the first place.

I understand some fans concerns about him not playing championship football before, but if you play for a team you love, have a great connection with the fans and players then he will only thrive.

I for one am extremely happy with the price and would bite their hand off for that. He knows Derby and what the expectations are. He’ll put his body on the line and play for the badge. What more can you want?

I think one thing to consider about the price is that if he steps up and produces the same for us as last season then it’s peanuts for him. If he doesn’t quite step up we can probably off load him for okay money for a side looking to win league 1 as he’s proven to be at the very top end of that level so ultimately the extra slice of cake Cardiff want for him isn’t that high of a risk. 

Adams for £500k - £1 million makes perfect sense, in my opinion.

It’s the going rate for high performing players in League 1 and League 2. Adams has been a key player for two promotion winning sides in those divisions, so the track record is there to justify the outlay.

Personally I am taking it as a positive that we are spending money again. It’s a difficult balancing act between trying to be competitive and trying to be fiscally responsible, but I think we are trying to get it right.

Also, it’s still going to be on the modest side compared to the rest of the division, let’s not forget. Clubs further up the food chain and in receipt of parachute payments (Leeds, Burnley, Luton, Sheff Utd…) will likely be able to spend our entire budget on one player.

As for concerns over Adams’s ability to step up to the Championship, I think we have to remember he will have a specific job and role in the side and we will be looking to strike a balance and have players who complement each other and cover for each other’s weaknesses.

Are we expecting Adams to be a Championship version of Bernardo Silva or Kevin de Bruyne? No. Similarly, are we expecting Kenzo to be a Championship version of Amadou Onana? No.

If we let players do what they are good at rather than trying to overcomplicate it, why can’t Adams be a success at Championship level?

Edited by Jourdan

6 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

He is worth about £4m in terms of how much more the club will benefit from going up.

Shoot me down but imo we would have probably scraped play offs at best without him.

Single handedly the most influential loan player in my 40 years supporting the club. Bobby D in 91 is close as is laddo from Milan in 2000. George T was brilliant but the team he played in would knock spots off the current team

No Leon Osman???????????

Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Interesting question. 

Good point … I reckon we’ve had an overdose of coaching in the last 20-15 years. Stats will show it works,  if you could AI analyse every game/result/player … but on Saturday 17th of octember. When Giovanni Nuboy drops his shoulder and does what he did in the playground the game changes 

On 12/07/2024 at 16:48, Fraser_23 said:

I understand some fans concerns about him not playing championship football before, but if you play for a team you love, have a great connection with the fans and players then he will only thrive.

I just want to put one little tiny caveat in there if you don't mind

Adams will be playing against better players...so unproven 👍

All this he's worth it...he aint worth it...Adams is worth what DCFC will pay or any other club...there...simple aint it.

9 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

I just want to put one little tiny caveat in there if you don't mind

Adams will be playing against better players...so unproven 👍

All this he's worth it...he aint worth it...Adams is worth what DCFC will pay or any other club...there...simple aint it.

Whilst this is true - we’re not plucking an unknown quantity from a mid table club in league 1. We’re getting someone who transformed the team who finished second in league 1. 

Think if we were looking at signing say Boltons best midfielder for us in the championship had they finished second we’d not be worried