Ebou Adams - Signed on 3 year deal

28 minutes ago, Mr Ramtastic said:

Not sure why Cardiff have put in a sell on clause he isn’t going to be sold on for a profit. He will be an asset that diminishes in monetary value.

What a negative outlook. If he has a good season his value will increase, and if you ask him to do exactly what he did last season, he will have a good season.

Technically he isn't the best player on the pitch, but with the right players around him, what he does offer is invaluable.

Wonder what’s changed for us to get a cheaper deal still so early in the window. Think the Cardiff manager wants a lot of players and needs the funds from player sales, anyways delighted to get this done and hopefully it’s over the next few days so he can go out to Spain with the lads.

1 minute ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Wonder what’s changed for us to get a cheaper deal still so early in the window. Think the Cardiff manager wants a lot of players and needs the funds from player sales, anyways delighted to get this done and hopefully it’s over the next few days so he can go out to Spain with the lads.

If I had to guess, combination of 3 things. 

No other interest

Player pressure 

Their own targets

1 hour ago, Eoghan1884 said:

The £1 million figure came from our side (BBC Derby) so there’s also a chance of a bit of game playing going on. The idea being to put anyone else off making a bid whilst you finalise the deal.

15 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

£650k sounds an awful lot of money, especially when Cardiff were "apparently" wanting £500k early in the window and we were only offering half of that. 

Still less risky than going after an unknown quantity elsewhere or a prem loan that might not work out or get recalled on us.

He fits the culture, he fits the style of play, he wants to be here.

Still seems a sensible move at that figure to me.

2 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

What a negative outlook. If he has a good season his value will increase, and if you ask him to do exactly what he did last season, he will have a good season.

Technically he isn't the best player on the pitch, but with the right players around him, what he does offer is invaluable.

Exactly this.

He is in the team to do what he does. Break the play up and pass it on to the players around him who are technically better. 

Ebou was arguably the most influential midfielder we have had in recent times, the last time we signed a midfielder who had such an impact on the midfield it was Thorne. 

Was it Coventry who signed a Huddersfield midfielder for £5mill this summer? 

Anything between £500-£750k seems a reasonable deal for a double-promotion winning midfielder who is an established international player. 

37 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Still less risky than going after an unknown quantity elsewhere or a prem loan that might not work out or get recalled on us.

He fits the culture, he fits the style of play, he wants to be here.

Still seems a sensible move at that figure to me.

I think signing Ebou possibly makes even more sense now we have Kenzo. Stats and AZ fan opinion is that Kenzo can pick up from deep, has great technical ability, and can hit long passes but lacks physicality. Ebou winning the ball alongside him could be a great pairing.

3 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

What negative outlook? All I said was I don’t think he will increase in value I didn’t comment on his technical or other abilities you brought that into your post. How old is he now 29? We give him a 2 year contract at 31 do you think he is going to be worth more then we have paid for him highly unlikely hence my comment on Cardiff asking for a sell on clause. It’s just my opinion 

foam zone GIF by Old Spice

7 hours ago, Carnero said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/cpwd1x55370o

Cardiff City midfielder Ebou Adams has been the subject of an offer from Championship rivals Derby County, says Bluebirds boss Erol Bulut.

Adams, 28, did not feature in the Bluebirds' 1-0 friendly defeat against Kidderminster Harriers on Wednesday and Bulut admitted his omission was related to the potential transfer.

The Gambia international made 17 loan appearances at Derby last season, helping the club achieve automatic promotion to the Championship from League One.

"As far as I know we got an offer from Derby County but nothing is finalised, so until that moment, Ebou Adams is still a Cardiff City player," said Bulut.

"We didn't want to risk him [against Kidderminster] because we are close [to a deal] but in football you never know. Things may not get done and today we didn't use him but tomorrow is another day, we never know".

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

£650k sounds an awful lot of money, especially when Cardiff were "apparently" wanting £500k early in the window and we were only offering half of that. 

Could it be that it's a lump figure upfront plus add-ons that take it up higher? Just thinking with the mention of a sell-on clause (which is unusual given his age), maybe they also included performance-related add-ons that bring the total price up towards £650k, but what we pay upfront is a lower figure?

Edited by YorkshireRam

11 minutes ago, Mr Ramtastic said:

What negative outlook? All I said was I don’t think he will increase in value I didn’t comment on his technical or other abilities you brought that into your post. How old is he now 29? We give him a 2 year contract at 31 do you think he is going to be worth more then we have paid for him highly unlikely hence my comment on Cardiff asking for a sell on clause. It’s just my opinion 

In my opinion, if we are near the top of the league in 2 years time, and he is an integral part of the team, we will be offering him a contract extension and he will be worth more than the alleged £650k that we are signing him for.