Charlton Athletic v Derby - Match Day Thread

1 hour ago, Braziliance said:

Crewton, what a wonderful insightful post, thank you.

Will certainly look to give these places a visit and give myself plenty of time to look around (providing work doesn't shaft me) 

Whether or not I drink yet is if I drive which is up in the air, but one won't hurt 😎

Genuinely really looking forward to having a little wander, I did the same at Lincoln and was in awe at the Lincoln Cathedral, as I am getting older, I am finding the best part of the away days, is exploring the cities themselves. Probably doesn't help that we are so rubbish at the moment mind you 😂

Probably worth adding @Braziliance that if you're not into real ale, and want a normal pub instead of beer-bellied beardies admiring the content of their glasses more than they would their wives, if they ever had them, and droning on about "real" beer in a superior manner to no-one in particular, then the Harvester near the back entrance to the station (en route to the ground) is the designated away fans pub so will find your fellow Addicks there downing pints of nicely chilled continental lager.

Edited by VulcanRam

5 hours ago, Crewton said:

A good and fair blog, mate.

Derby is steeped in history, from the small Roman settlement of Derventio at what is now Chester Green, through the little known 10th century Battle of Derby, when Queen Æthelflæd of Mercia defeated the Vikings and captured Derby, to the Enlightenment and birth of the industrial revolution, development of the railways and being a centre of engineering excellence.

A brief tour of the Museum of Making at the Old Silk Mill followed by a walk round the Cathedral Quarter to Derby Museum to see the paintings of Joseph Wright will give you a good background picture. Just try to ignore the many planning and development disasters facilitated by generations of abysmal local town planners and City councils which have destroyed what was once a gem of a Georgian market town.

As a sensible solo visiting supporter, no pub should be out of bounds, but if you're into Real Ale in particular, the Flower Pot, Silk Mill, Exeter and Dolphin have both the history and the beer. Nearer the stadium and station are the Brunswick, Alexandra Hotel and Smithfield which are among the best ale pubs in the country.

Is there a Big Bus tour !!??? 😎

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Probably worth adding @Braziliance that if you're not into real ale, and want a normal pub instead of beer-bellied beardies admiring the content of their glasses more than they would their wives, if they ever had them, and droning on about "real" beer in a superior manner to no-one in particular, then the Harvester near the back entrance to the station (en route to the ground) is the designated away fans pub so will find your fellow Addicks there downing pints of nicely chilled continental lager.

JimmyHillChinnyReckon.gif.2e93a3508eede4acb148087485d18387.gif

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Does it do Turkey Twizzlers @VulcanRam 😲

To take @VulcanRam's point semi-seriously, I believe that Plod have been directing away fans to the Babington's Wetherspoon this season where, as well as a fine array of ales to keep us pot-bellied, bearded, virgins happy, they can find a selection of continental-style lagers, which for a few extra pennies they can top up with lemonade to make them palatable to the average southern shandy-drinker 😉

21 hours ago, plymouthram said:

They got 2 bookings to our 5, the most stupid booking (by the Ref) was Sibley's, he had to wait to take the throwing when the ref allowed Charlton to make substitutions, then SECONDS later booked him for time wasting ? The Stats for fouls in the match, was 15 by Charlton and 12 by Derby. I know that good and bad decisions by refs normally end up being 50/50 but not what I've seen in this League one.

This was made worse for me that every time they had a throw in first half, one player would stand with the ball for a period of time then drop it to allow another player to come and take it. The referee did not once speak with any of the players involved or even ask them to speed up.

2 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

This was made worse for me that every time they had a throw in first half, one player would stand with the ball for a period of time then drop it to allow another player to come and take it. The referee did not once speak with any of the players involved or even ask them to speed up.

We were the same, but because no one ever makes themselves available for throw-ins!

We end up throwing it down the line hoping the opponent heads it out or to one of our players (neither of which usually happens).

4 hours ago, Braziliance said:

Thank you so much mate, they're usually a bit better, I like to get more fans on and of course missing the goal was a bit of a spoiler. Hopefully at Derby I can get more of yous on, I think I approached about 10 Derby lads and none seemed keen, think they were a bit worse for wear after some early doors away pints 😂👍🏻

As I said to Dave, very surprised to see you mention the strength and nasty streak as I think it seems quite the opposite.

A lot of high hopes for Jones, think he will do well for us and turn it around. Appreciate that you and of course, the same for you lot 👍🏻

The 'U's are Oxford United by the way 😁. I noticed it a lot in your initial message. 

Perhaps you lot dahhnn sahhff talk funny or something 🤣

I love the Meantime pub in the High Street. Spent a nice couple of hours in there in2014 watching England rugby game. 

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

We were the same, but because no one ever makes themselves available for throw-ins!

We end up throwing it down the line hoping the opponent heads it out or to one of our players (neither of which usually happens).

I'm staggered by how often we give away possession from our throw ins.  It's a complete joke.  Warne highlighted last season but we still haven't got any better.

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

No, theirs was a deliberate ploy to time waste at every single throw in until they went behind. Ours is as you say down to lack of tactical nouse.

8 hours ago, Ellafella said:

@Braziliance Let me know if you want some Rams fans input - I can help you sort that. Serious offer. 

Yeah absolutely, what's the best way to go about it, shall I contact you on here nearer the time or a social media?

8 hours ago, Crewton said:

No problem. I've got a soft spot for Charlton, as it's my wife's local team (born in Woolwich) and I spent a few years living in the RBoG, so it used to be a 'home' game for me (not always a happy return though!) A mate of a mate is a big Charlton fan who was heavily involved with the campaign to return to The Valley and had some good chats with him about that process and past meetings etc. Purely a coincidence, but my late Dad and late Father-in-Law both attended the 1946 Cup Final supporting their local teams.

Perhaps the only thing Derby Cathedral has over Lincoln Cathedral is that ours isn't at the top of a lung-busting hill! Hope you enjoy your visit, bar the result of course.

Awesome, I was born in Greenwich and lived all over South London, unfortunately, Woolwich is a complete dive now from when I was growing up, real shame.

All the people who are involved in that campaign are absolute heroes, believe a few of those people were also involved in the protest against our previous owner Roland Duchatelet. One thing we are good at, is a fight/protest against dodgy owners/controversy 😂

Amazing, I watch back those old games and the match day experience just seems so much different, everyone crammed in. 

Luckily I didn't have that problem at Lincoln as I drove to it! Looks like I'll probably drive to Derby as well, trains looking bit steep, cheers though mate, ditto 👍🏻 

7 hours ago, Alty_Ram said:

Good Vlog bar the missing goal and celebration 😉. Ta for that, I always look out for sensible balanced Vlogs from opposition fans as I am constantly fascinated about what the opposition make of us. Like many forums, we can have a post-match discussion between ourselves on here having seen the exact polar opposites in a performance so it's always interesting to look at how we looked from the outside looking in. 

Re the feeling that your guys were rather physical. Perhaps we're both kinda right in that maybe they were being urged to be a bit more enthusiastic in the challenge as a response to a perceived previous weakness under Appleton ? Just a thought.

Your comment re dark arts is a really interesting one. Last year there was a bit of a perception that we came unstuck a few times because we were really not good at that aspect and we (and the refs) were 'played' too easily. We were certainly undone a few times buy some pretty cynical tactics with lots of timewasting and play acting but for all that most fans will tell you that they don't like their team doing it, it's difficult to make a case against it when the opposition does it as often as not.

Re not going for the jugular. Our form as been a bit wobbly recently and we have had games where we've created little or nothing in 90 mins so I'd have been surprised if we'd gone all gung ho and tried to double our lead at the end. We have also perhaps been guilty of not managing games very well and we've conceded a few late ones so the caution at the end is perhaps understandable regardless of your recent poor form.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. We're always happy to exchange opinions with reasonable opposition fans 😊

Thank you! Like I said not my best work, always annoying to miss goals. In my Crawley away vlog I missed 4 of the 7, that was pretty special 😂 yeah I try not to be a 'click baity' vlogger. I am not very dramatic and will usually just say it how I see it. 

Truthfully I'm not sure, as we were pretty tame under Appleton, so perhaps our interim addressed a few things I didn't notice. 

I think we both made an effort in slowing the game down, but thought your lot were good at it. I still am not sure when your goalie went down if that was genuine or not 😂 there was also something between Adams and May. My uncle called that May might have stuck one on him, and said he bets Adams will get booked taking him back out, and of course it happened 😂

That makes sense then, I suppose it's also the nature of Warne, as he did similar at Rotherham. He really is a solid manager at this level, would be curious to see how he gets on at championship level with a bigger club like yourselves, and presumably, more wiggle room in the transfer market than he had at Rotherham.

Thanks for the warm welcome, I've visited these forums a fair few times as a guest, especially in our previous fixtures from the championship. Always like to go on the oppositions forums and have a read of what they think of us..

7 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Noted, can't go wrong with a harvester or wetherspoons in my book. Cheap and effective 

4 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

The 'U's are Oxford United by the way 😁. I noticed it a lot in your initial message. 

Perhaps you lot dahhnn sahhff talk funny or something 🤣

I love the Meantime pub in the High Street. Spent a nice couple of hours in there in2014 watching England rugby game. 

Deffo just how I talk mate 😂 due to living in London, Sheffield, Nottingham, Kent and Essex, I've picked up a bit of a hybrid accent of sort at times haha

1 hour ago, Braziliance said:

Yeah absolutely, what's the best way to go about it, shall I contact you on here nearer the time or a social media?

Awesome, I was born in Greenwich and lived all over South London, unfortunately, Woolwich is a complete dive now from when I was growing up, real shame.

All the people who are involved in that campaign are absolute heroes, believe a few of those people were also involved in the protest against our previous owner Roland Duchatelet. One thing we are good at, is a fight/protest against dodgy owners/controversy 😂

Amazing, I watch back those old games and the match day experience just seems so much different, everyone crammed in. 

Luckily I didn't have that problem at Lincoln as I drove to it! Looks like I'll probably drive to Derby as well, trains looking bit steep, cheers though mate, ditto 👍🏻 

…contact me @Brazilianceon here nearer the time & we can plan it. There’ll be a match thread Derby v Charlton on here and we can discuss. Cheers 🍻 

Edited by Ellafella

7 hours ago, Crewton said:

To take @VulcanRam's point semi-seriously, I believe that Plod have been directing away fans to the Babington's Wetherspoon this season where, as well as a fine array of ales to keep us pot-bellied, bearded, virgins happy, they can find a selection of continental-style lagers, which for a few extra pennies they can top up with lemonade to make them palatable to the average southern shandy-drinker 😉

Dreadful southernist comments and grossly untrue.....

....... it's a lager top, nobody saath of London drinks shandy......

10 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Proper beer comes from Belgium.