Finance

angieram

26 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

I was interested to hear Kieran Maguire on his Price of Football podcast that came out yesterday talk about David Clowes paying off £8.8M in full to all the unsecured football creditors when he bought the club, a significant portion of which was related to the Krystian Bielik deal. If he hadn't, then Derby would have had a further penalty of minus 15 points on exiting administration.

Maguire mentions he knows of at least one other interested party to buy the club who was willing to put in a lower bid, and was also willing for Derby take the 15 point penalty as they weren't bothered about paying back these creditors.

Again, fair play to David Clowes for doing the decent but expensive thing with the football creditors. We would have been mid table last season with a 15 point deduction, but it also would surely had a longer term impact to the feel around the club that would have made our promotion this season much less likely to have occurred. 

This really isn't the ground breaking information that he has dressed it up as and, anyone that paid attention to our situation, knew this was the case.

As for the 'other interested party' this guy does not really know anything that is not available in the public domain, as has been proven many times before, most recently when he was posting false information about DCFC and he skulked off this site when I pulled him up on it.

Still, guess that is not really the jist of your post, however, I like to point out what a charlatan Maguire is at any given opportunity 😂

38 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

I was interested to hear Kieran Maguire on his Price of Football podcast that came out yesterday talk about David Clowes paying off £8.8M in full to all the unsecured football creditors when he bought the club, a significant portion of which was related to the Krystian Bielik deal. If he hadn't, then Derby would have had a further penalty of minus 15 points on exiting administration.

Maguire mentions he knows of at least one other interested party to buy the club who was willing to put in a lower bid, and was also willing for Derby take the 15 point penalty as they weren't bothered about paying back these creditors.

Again, fair play to David Clowes for doing the decent but expensive thing with the football creditors. We would have been mid table last season with a 15 point deduction, but it also would surely had a longer term impact to the feel around the club that would have made our promotion this season much less likely to have occurred. 

With the benefit of hindsight, maybe DC would have taken the 15 point hit and saved himself a few million or allowed him a few million more to spend on the team. But at the time of the purchase, before a ball was kicked that season, those 15 points could have made the difference between either promotion to the Championship or relegation to Lg2, DC wasn't prepared to take that risk. As it turned out, maybe the extra few million would have enabled us to fund an 'Ipswich' type team which would have got to the play offs even with a 15 point penalty, then winning the play offs and being promoted with a stronger team like Ipswich. 

All ifs, buts and maybes.

10 minutes ago, ram59 said:

With the benefit of hindsight, maybe DC would have taken the 15 point hit and saved himself a few million or allowed him a few million more to spend on the team. But at the time of the purchase, before a ball was kicked that season, those 15 points could have made the difference between either promotion to the Championship or relegation to Lg2, DC wasn't prepared to take that risk. As it turned out, maybe the extra few million would have enabled us to fund an 'Ipswich' type team which would have got to the play offs even with a 15 point penalty, then winning the play offs and being promoted with a stronger team like Ipswich. 

I'd imagine that if we had taken the 15 point hit, we'd have also either been placed under another embargo or the business plan we agreed would have been very different and spending more money wouldn't have been possible. 

42 minutes ago, ram59 said:

We would still have been under embargo and, one imagines, it would have been a lot stricter had we gone down this route!

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

It showed a real change in approach from the new regime, we do things right. Think the goodwill from paying your football creditor debts is also useful.  He played a bit-part but would we have got TJJ from Arsenal this year if we hadn't paid them.  Clubs needed to know we could pay our way.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Charlie George said:

He's a s*******e. Remember he was the one stirring the pot with EFL no doubt on behalf of that other s*******e in the North East.

A man so desperate to get his name in the limelight he spouts utter drivel.  Treat his podcasts with caution.

Sophisticate?

Edited by Rammeister

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

This really isn't the ground breaking information that he has dressed it up as and, anyone that paid attention to our situation, knew this was the case.

As for the 'other interested party' this guy does not really know anything that is not available in the public domain, as has been proven many times before, most recently when he was posting false information about DCFC and he skulked off this site when I pulled him up on it.

Still, guess that is not really the jist of your post, however, I like to point out what a charlatan Maguire is at any given opportunity 😂

A charlatan that only had beef with us because we beat his beloved Brighton in the playoffs.

It annoys me that so many local media people gave him as much time as they did.

As much as he is a great listen and clearly very knowledgeable, we were up sh!ts creek and very nearly out of a club, in part, because of his instance that the EFL charge us for things that had cleared already.

He set off a chain of events that nearly ended us.

40 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

A charlatan that only had beef with us because we beat his beloved Brighton in the playoffs.

It annoys me that so many local media people gave him as much time as they did.

As much as he is a great listen and clearly very knowledgeable, we were up sh!ts creek and very nearly out of a club, in part, because of his instance that the EFL charge us for things that had cleared already.

He set off a chain of events that nearly ended us.

He really isn't that knowledgeable about football clubs but is somehow able to fool people into believing he is.

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

To be fair to Kieran Maguire, he didn't dress it up as ground breaking information. The Monday episode of the podcast is when he responds to listeners' questions, and as there are so many there is often quite a time lag between the question and if it gets on the podcast with a reply.

I just posted what he said on here as I found it interesting, in particular that there were other buyers who would have taken another large points hit, as I wasn't aware of this.

I'm sure many fans would have been pleased with a new song as a result. 'They docked us 15 points...'.

1 hour ago, WestKentRam said:

To be fair to Kieran Maguire, he didn't dress it up as ground breaking information. The Monday episode of the podcast is when he responds to listeners' questions, and as there are so many there is often quite a time lag between the question and if it gets on the podcast with a reply.

I just posted what he said on here as I found it interesting, in particular that there were other buyers who would have taken another large points hit, as I wasn't aware of this.

I'm sure many fans would have been pleased with a new song as a result. 'They docked us 15 points...'.

Fair enough. 

As I said I'd take anything he says with a pinch of salt. 

I'd bet my bottom dollar that if pushed on the matter and asked to name who these potential purchasers were, he'd resort to his 'I heard it from someone else' line.

1 hour ago, WestKentRam said:

I'm not sure about your original post about non-payment of football creditors leading to a -15 point deduction, because I'm pretty sure that in that case the likely outcome would be having the club's Golden Share, which ensures entry to the EFL, withdrawn - I think the -15 points is for failure to pay 25% of money due to non-football creditors?

5 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I'm not sure about your original post about non-payment of football creditors leading to a -15 point deduction, because I'm pretty sure that in that case the likely outcome would be having the club's Golden Share, which ensures entry to the EFL, withdrawn - I think the -15 points is for failure to pay 25% of money due to non-football creditors?

That was also my understanding. 

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

In Maguire's defence it was only brought up to answer a listener's question about Derby leaving administration.

7 hours ago, WestKentRam said:

I thought it was fairly open knowledge what was said if I'm being honest.

Regarding the Bielik deal, Arsenal agreed to take instalments for him, but it was easier to just pay it off in full and start with a clean slate. 

On the second point that was brought up about another interested buyer. It was Mike Ashley, but by the sounds of it it fell through as he wanted the stadium as part of the deal or something or other related to the stadium. After being rejected he went on to buy Coventry's ground.

Finally, all football creditors have to be paid off. I seem to remember the administrators not paying Lech Poznan for Jozwiak, then them taking it to Fifa to force Derby to pay. It's with the non-football parties that Clowes sounds to have really done good, paying more for products and services than football clubs would usually pay.

While I do like listening to the POF podcast, it was a bit of a repeat with this story, which they can't do too much about with it being asked by a listener in all fairness.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

I'm only repeating what I heard on the podcast, about a further 15 point deduction would have been due if football creditors weren't paid in full. 

The question the listener sent in was... they thought for a club to exit administration that all football debt had to be settled in full, and according to the Derby Telegraph, that despite Derby leaving administration in 2022, the club still owed Arsenal for Krystian Bielik.

Maguire said, after looking at the most recent administrator's report, the payment would have been in the £8.8M settled in full by David Clowes, and if he hadn't done this then a further 15 point deduction would have occurred.

Could well be he is wrong and you are right. I'm glad I'm not an accountant.

33 minutes ago, Steadybreeze said:

Funny people on here blaming Maguire for our woes, don't pay your taxes you end up in screwed. It was only a matter of time before we got found out.

I'd never blame the Maguire for our woes, he's an irrelevance. He is however ill-informed, driven by guess work teacher masquerading as a crap journalist. Setting up alerts on companies house and sharing screenshots of publicly available accounts does not make you some sort of finance guru.